Alaska Cruiser Trek 2011... Yes 2011! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
Well... it is getting to be that time already. People have to make long term plans in order to make the Alaska Cruiser Trek. Which means that I have to get started early too. It was pointed out to me in the 2010 thread that it might be time to start a thread for ACT2011.

I have been pondering a few things lately and had not made the final decision about holding the Trek in 2011. I pulled the trigger at about 3am this morning and made up my mind.

Not a lot to tell anyone yet... here is a clip and paste from my reply to Darrell in the 2010 thread...

..."Yep, I was thinking about that the last couple of days. I need to start getting ramped up for that already. Gotta decide where to take the 2011 Trek also. I *might* be able to get a scouting trip wedged in to take a look at the Alphabet Hills area, south of the Denali. But from the air that looks to be almost completely treeless rolling tundra and low brush. Definitely some muddy/soft terrain, and sweeping grand vistas, but maybe a bit boring otherwise. Although the route in via Swede Lake would be a bit different.

Pushing up where Kevin and I have been exploring, and over to the head of Kosina Creek, Right in the heart of the Talkeetnas would be fantastic... but it is a LONG run... and back out the same way until we get back to Reality Flats/Lil'O. And there are places past Square lake that call for bigger rigs than we have required so far for the Trek. And to be honest not sure that I am ready to share that area yet. ;)

Simple enough to run the Tok-Paxson or Eureka areas again. I'm still looking for the Lost Tralhead into Tazlina Lake, and have found some intriguing trails that would seem to get us to Nelchina Glacier. But even if those prove up, I can't see spending a week plus on those.

Anyway, you are right. Time to start a new thread."...

For now... stay tuned... fire away with any questions, comments, suggestions or insults.... All will be taken into consideration as the planning gets started. And I will hope to have solid enough thoughts put together to get applications out before the end of October.

Mark...

Mark,

Will you have rigs available for the 2011, or will it be 2012 before you offer that option? Thanks

Dan, I think he was referring to my comment of "...bigger rigs than we have required so far for the Trek.." when speaking of take the Trekkers past square lake in the Eureka area. Trust me, '80s on 35s would not be happy. Ir just ask Darrell what prompted him to move to 8+ inches of lift and 38 inch boggers after heading out there to the edge of that are for hunting season.

That run is unlikely for the Trek. It gets tough-ish at square lake, and after the Black River it is just a few moose buggies and Kevin and I that ever use that trail. It peters out at the hunting camp of the guy who blazed the trail years back and we would be cross countrying for a ways to get to the river we would follow up into the mountains.

In answer to "what one would need" for that run... yep... 38s and up, mechanically sound and a not too stiff suspension would be the recipe. And diesel would be a BIG plus, because it would be a LONG run and one where hauling fuel trailers would be problematic.

But again... unlikely that we will d this ne for the trek. It is still one for Kevin and me to keep exploring.

I hope to have some rigs avaialble for rental in 2011.

Mark...

What would this trip cost besides brining food and fuel and personal gear?

I'm not trying to speak out of turn but that's got to be hard for anyone except you to calculate.

It all depends on how you plan to travel (IE: are you going to ship your truck out or drive it, fly to meet your truck), your lodging decisions, your tourism decisions, how long you stay and how you arive, if you break anything or have mechanical malfunctions.

I know if i went i was calculating at least $3,000 cash on hand and a credit card. :eek:

I know if i went i was calculating at least $3,000 cash on hand and a credit card. :eek:

When I did the trek back in 2008, I spent more than $2500 on fuel, food and campsite fees. Mind you I drove the FJ40 and I was only 2,900 km from the trailhead. Gas adds up real fast, and fuel is pricy in Northern BC / Yukon.

I have to find a way to do this with my dad. It might be the highlight of his life...

Subscribed :)
charla.JPG

I hope Mark says something like "the first week of july" cuz that's when I took vacation! ;)

-Darrell

Expect it to be so Darrell. :) Looking at the 2nd- 10th of July inclusive

I have not given the Trek much thought since you and I talked about it. I was debating s*** canning the whole idea for 2011 to be honest.

But after more thought, I'm gonna move ahead with it. I have been going back and forth about location. Both the Eureka area and the Tok-Paxson area have their appeal. The Eureka area is a lot simpler logistically though so I'm leaning toward that as a first choice.

In addition to the area we usually run out there, I am hoping to scout out the area on the south side of the highway. Maybe even find that trail to Tazlina lake that I lost about 15 years ago!

That one and the trail(s) back to Nelchina Glacier have been calling to me and Kevin for a while now.

If we can prove those trails up in time, we could run one or both of them either at the beginning or end of the Trek. Nine days is more than we need for the areas that make sense to take the Trekkers in this area. Even with days set aside for hiking and non-vehicular stuff.

I need to figure out a couple of different timelines for the Trek dependent on whether we hit these trails or spend all of our time north of the highway.

I should have application/information packets ready soon. expect them to be sent out before xmas. As last year, outsiders will get first shot at all the slots.

We have aimed at 15 rigs total in all past Treks and it has worked out pretty close to that each time. We were a bit worried last year when it grew to about 24 before the expected dropouts. I am hoping to only have one support truck hauling fuel this time around, instead of two which will free a slot for a visitor.

Basic requirements will remain the same for the vehicles. We *may* require snorkels.... last year they should have been a requirement... luckily everyone had one... But the water crossings are not as significant in what we call "the Eureka area" as they are on the Tok and Chistochina rivers.

I would like to set at least a couple of different days aside for planned non-vehicular activities. You are really shortchanging yourself to not spend time away from the rigs a bit while you are out in these places.

Anyway... more coming some.... I'll be watching this thread, so if you have any questions or comments... toss 'em out.

Mark...

Mark,

Any chance of a rental this time? If so, please add my name with a plus 1 possibly 2. Thanks

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom