Alarming Thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When i pulled my seats to fix them and recover them.....i thought. I bet manual cloth is lighter haha. I hear you on that.

Personally I really like the idea of a gps tracking device. I am hesitant to install a security system because like others have mentioned I don't want any extra possiblity of my rig not starting when I get back to the trailhead after a backpacking trip or similar situation.

On that same note, I often find myself leaving my truck parked unattended in remote areas for days on end. In these situations someone would have ample time to circumvent any alarm system if they were dedicated and there would probably be nobody around to see them or hear the alarm go off.

That is where the idea of a gps tracking device appeals to me. The only problem I see with this solution is the fact the a lot of modern car thieves have ways to scan vehicles for electronic devices. I think this is primarily done with blue tooth tech, especially so car thieves can target cars with things like laptops inside to sweeten their score.

So I think a gps tracking device would need to be non-bluetooth, non-wifi, and small enough to easily be installed and hidden in a way that a theif wouldn't be able to easily find and disable the tracker.

That is as far as I have gone on the subject. I know what I want, now I just need to do the research and find the product that best suites my needs.

I have an old cell phone located on the joey panel with a spare SIM card. I use an app called Cerberus which google dosen't like which makes me like it more. I can track the truck anywhere and no regular thief is ever gonna know. The same phone starts a wifi hotspot which allows me to plug in some wifi cameras when i leave her at the airport.

I am with @Outsane except I didn't do security. I purchased a viper smart start remote start and keyless entry system with GPS and cellular connection so I could track it if it ever went missing. I installed it myself with the help of a couple threads on here with pictures of where to tie into the factory system. Also a factory wiring diagram is extremely useful.
Viper Keyless Entry Install
How To Remote Start Install

My 80 requires a special starting sequence that auto resets when the key is turned off. So even with the key if you are not in the know it only cranks. With that said in my hood they just tow it away without opening the door.

My 80 requires a special starting sequence that auto resets when the key is turned off. So even with the key if you are not in the know it only cranks. With that said in my hood they just tow it away without opening the door.
This is why I like the idea of a hidden gps. If someone is determined enough they will get your rig, either by hot wiring it or just loading it on a trailer.

Skip the alarm crap to hopefully avoid a bunch of wiring damage from someone trying to disable it. Let them steal the rig hopefully without doing very much damage.

Than because you got the hidden gps tracker swoop in on the unsuspecting their preferably with or without the help of law enforcement. This should be a good way to recover your rig and get justice on the perps.

I am imagining the movie taken. Only instead of a daughter being kidnapped it is my 80 series.

download (2).jpeg

I have an old cell phone located on the joey panel with a spare SIM card. I use an app called Cerberus which google dosen't like which makes me like it more. I can track the truck anywhere and no regular thief is ever gonna know. The same phone starts a wifi hotspot which allows me to plug in some wifi cameras when i leave her at the airport.
Gonna have to look into this one. In the mean time I bought the brickhouse security GPS with an uber strong magnetic case. Testing it hidden in the 80 in several different spots.

It is interesting to talk about how to protect your vehicle from theft, but you can’t. It is only talk and if someone wants it they are going to take it! Getting to it as fast as you can is the key.
So you have your 80 insured and a tracking device installed, now think about all the money you have in your build! By the time you find your 80 the thieves are going dismantle it. Roof rack, lights, fridge, rtt, wheels, tires, storage drawers, etc. whatever it is you might keep on board 24/7. It add up to thousands of dollars to 10’s of thousands ?
You have an 80 that in this market someone will give you $12-16K or more for, and your insurance company will only blue book you on value.
What I am saying here is, check into your insurance, home and auto, to find out about coverage for all of your gear and bolt on accessories because maybe if you loose them your gonna take it in the shorts!

I found out how un-awesome my awesome insurance coverage was!

devo

It is interesting to talk about how to protect your vehicle from theft, but you can’t. It is only talk and if someone wants it they are going to take it! Getting to it as fast as you can is the key.
So you have your 80 insured and a tracking device installed, now think about all the money you have in your build! By the time you find your 80 the thieves are going dismantle it. Roof rack, lights, fridge, rtt, wheels, tires, storage drawers, etc. whatever it is you might keep on board 24/7. It add up to thousands of dollars to 10’s of thousands ?
You have an 80 that in this market someone will give you $12-16K or more for, and your insurance company will only blue book you on value.
What I am saying here is, check into your insurance, home and auto, to find out about coverage for all of your gear and bolt on accessories because maybe if you loose them your gonna take it in the shorts!

devo

It was certainly a fight but I feel like I actually got a good deal with the insurance on the 91 I totalled last year. I had it insured through state farm and I had sent pictures and receipts of every aftermarket item to my insurance agent when I got the policy.

I also had to send all the pictures and receipts along with an excel spreadsheet showing all the costs to the insurance adjusters during the process, but after a few weeks of telling them to "fix my truck" the total loss offer kept slowly climbing.

I don't know if theft is treated differently than a total loss claim but I am very happy with my state farm experience!!!!!

It was certainly a fight but I feel like I actually got a good deal with the insurance on the 91 I totalled last year. I had it insured through state farm and I had sent pictures and receipts of every aftermarket item to my insurance agent when I got the policy.

I also had to send all the pictures and receipts along with an excel spreadsheet showing all the costs to the insurance adjusters during the process, but after a few weeks of telling them to "fix my truck" the total loss offer kept slowly climbing.

I don't know if theft is treated differently than a total loss claim but I am very happy with my state farm experience!!!!!
In devo's case, he lost thousands on the contents, even if the truck is in OK shape.

The contents are covered by your homeowner's policy usually, and it would have had to be documented (photos and such) for it to be truly covered. This is a serious gray area.

I carry a lot of expensive tools in my truck and I would be hurting if someone cleaned it out.

In devo's case, he lost thousands on the contents, even if the truck is in OK shape.

The contents are covered by your homeowner's policy usually, and it would have had to be documented (photos and such) for it to be truly covered. This is a serious gray area.

I carry a lot of expensive tools in my truck and I would be hurting if someone cleaned it out.
What if you can prove you had the gear, got it new-ish, but have no receipts?

devo
Good advice no doubt, but the if-want-it-they’re gonna-get-it thing is like saying if someone wants in your house they’re gonna get in. Absolutely. Does’t mean you leave the door open, or don’t do what you can to make it a) noisy and/or b) physically difficult. And—as you say—insure things up the gazoo. Assuming the cost of insuring your gazoo makes sense. 🙂

@jaymar your post #32....some stuff was too old for receipts, old tents, 10 year old sleeping bags, various hand tools and 50 individual sockets you’ve been using for a decade, a snap ring plier. You have more in your inventory than you think. So, the Insurance Co. depreciated items based on years old, and they price new stuff based on their wholesale buying options. My Mountain Hardware 3 person mountaineering tent cost me $250.00 back in 2005, replacement in 2021 is $800. I had to prove through a rare photo of it I owned it and in the end they wouldn’t give me even $500 for replacement due to depreciation. My S-K metric combination wrench set that I have had for a decade plus. Who knows how much that cost me but replacement is about $350, they depreciated the value to $139.00! But for some reason they gave more for my 1/2 drive Crescent ratchet than I listed as the replacement cost? My roof top rack and Rocket Box...not covered by home owners or vehicle insurance. Under my policy I had a $500.00 cap on what they would pay towards accessories. Your ARB drawer system, forget about it!
So I could go on and on with this. Just make sure you know what you have and how much your gonna chip in if it all goes missing. It’s BS!
Talk with your agent and find out and make the appropriate changes so that all of your s*** has the best replacement value.

Still livin’ and learnin’

devo

Last edited:
Rifling through the archives, I don't see a lot on security systems. Dunno if that's because people don't bother, or prefer not to talk about their own DIY setups. I was wondering whether folks might care to weigh in on security systems / alarms--including ready-made products; thoughts, experiences, etc.

Two questions that come to mind for me are:

1) Do insurers require "professional" installation before applying any discounts?

2) Assuming you have a ready-made system professionally installed--do they hand you a wiring diagram that shows the work (so you can actually check it), or are you just left to guess (and maybe track down a resulting electrical gremlin several years down the line, while rolling (or NOT rolling) through Death Valley)?
Be wary of who installs your system. I had my 80 in shops for 4 months because the installer guy at best buy messed up my wiring and was moving grounds around!

devo
@devo You're absolutely right sir. I'm sorry this happened to you. It sucks that someone just had to have your stuff. I hope we can all someway do the best to keep our rigs and gear from getting swiped, but in the end all we can do is our best. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Find other security threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom