Against my better judgment.... A bj70 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess the last guy to do a knuckle job figured 2 was good enough.... Anyone have some studs and cone washers sitting around?

Aw man, that sucks! Even the studs are missing. What are people thinking when they do this sort of thing? There is a good chance your upper trunion bearing is rusted all to heck, as water would pool in those bolt holes and seep in constantly. Sorry, can't help you with the hardware, but someone around here will have the parts I'm sure. How does the other side look?

On the positive side; your suspension looks awesome!

Thanks, working on the last corner right now. All the other studs are still intact. There isn't any play in the trunnion bearing as of now, but a front end job is defiantly in my future so we'll see then

So apparently they didn't forget to install the studs, they forgot to torque them.... The other 2 where loose. Glad I found this now

We're gonna have to exercise that suspension when youre done!

Made some decent progress today. Started with my turbo inlet flange. I needed to make a flange anyway, but I also needed to re mount my wastegate actualtor, so I decided to combine the two.

I then worked on the exhust side. Because this was a saab turbo, it has a wierd outlet flange, it's tapered like a header collector. I brought my stainless pipe to the muffler shop in sidney and had them put a small flare in it. All for the price of a $5 bill.

I made the retaining flange out pf some flat stock.

And then last fit up the new section to the existing downpipe, and installed :beer:

Are you going to use a stock Saab exhaust gasket on the turbo outlet? Or did they not use one from the factory?

Essentially a large flare type or JIC fitting
Should seal great as long as the sealing surfaces aren't scored

Nice work! I like your innovative approach to the waste gate bracket / turbo inlet; thats smart. It's worth the extra effort to retain the waste gate.

Any plans to install a manual boost controller since you are in there? Not too expensive, might
allow for some future adjustments.

Any plans to install a manual boost controller since you are in there? Not too expensive, might
allow for some future adjustments.
Might go with a boost controller, it would be really easy to add after the fact though. I'll see what this waste gate does first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom