Against my better judgment.... A bj70 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So against what was probably my better judgment, I sold my 83 pickup and bought the bj70 I was looking at. I was able to get the price down a bit from the asking price although it's not the deal of the century by any means.

Well anyways it's an '86 368km it's very stock, interior is great, just needs a cleaning. The thing drives awesome... No complaints there.
It relatively has more power than my pickup did. And im so glad to have a low first gear again! Going into tugwell with the pickup was painfully fast to not stall it.

The bad part is the rust, the rear quarters are pretty bad, but the rest is pretty sound. It's decent fenders doors and floors. I have a pretty good idea of my plan for the rear quarter repair, going To fabricate new panels from scratch.

The only other problem so far is the glow plugs, I get the light when I turn the key and it stays on for a bit (not long enough I think) then shuts off and won't start happy. The plugs where apparently replaced and look new. I haven't had a chance to take a multi meter to it yet, right now I'm not above ghetto-fabbing a momentary switch for the plugs.

Anyway that's all for now. Here's some pics there will before to come. I Will be out wheeling within the month I'm sure

And don't ask why there are duplicate pictures. Me and computers...

Fabricating skills here they come..... should serve you well....

Really liked your lil pick up I had one years ago..

Rob

Congrats, can't wait to see how it turns out. Looks really clean inside.

Nice Graham. Welcome to the diesel Cruiser world.

Cool. Looks a lot like my 70 when I got it...mine may have even been worse. Awesome little trucks.

My 45 and the 70 are the only two I miss out of the trucks I've owned....:crybaby:

For the glows, the issue is the mind numbingly complex timer system toyota cooked up when they apparently got bored with conjuring undercoatings that encouraged corrosion.

Disregard ALL that shyte, (other than maybe using a relay) and setup a push button manual system.

It will improve your life. I guarantee it .

Otherwise,:beer:. I do enjoy seeing a poor old canadian 70 getting some love, and not those rhd white elephants. :flipoff2:

Disregard ALL that shyte, (other than maybe using a relay) and setup a push button manual system.
That's what I was thinking, I've done it before on a jetta(although it was pretty ghetto) anything special setting it up regarding the 24v?

Just find a 24V starter relay and then use that... thats what I did for my 12V system (with a 12V starter relay) and it worked way better then the high power relay I originally bought.

Should be able to get one at the truck place on keating x road.

I've got a small sheet metal brake if you've not got access to one. Wombat has also got one, but I can't offer to loan you his.

If I remember right, the glow relays are on the inside of the left hand side apron...I'd just use one of them if they work still.

One thing tho before switching to manual, have a look at the voltage of the glows installed. I think with 24v superglow system , they're supposed to be 14.4v ( could be wrong on the number, but there's a big ass thread on it in the diesel section)

If you're switching to manual system, they're a higher voltage. 18 or 20...don't remember exactly.

Point is, if the wrong voltage glows are in there, the superglow won't work properly...

I've got a small sheet metal brake if you've not got access to one. Wombat has also got one, but I can't offer to loan you his.
Thanks, What style and size is it? I have one that's probably 18" or so. I can always use the one at work too if need be.

One thing tho before switching to manual, have a look at the voltage of the glows installed. I think with 24v superglow system , they're supposed to be 14.4v ( could be wrong on the number, but there's a big ass thread on it in the diesel section).
I think it would be the superglow system. From reading it sounds like it may be the coolant temp sensor in the superglow system that's faulty.

Mines a little 18" one... Nothing special, but it does the job. But it sounds like you've got your bases covered.

Just didn't want to find out you struggled and bent it all in your bench vice...:D been there, done that. For that matter, I've just used a couple lengths of 6" steel channel (for the 1/8" floor).

I think it would be the superglow system. From reading it sounds like it may be the coolant temp sensor in the superglow system that's faulty.

Could be. I've had a couple that didn't work properly, and the only issue was wrong plugs.

I always preferred manual anyways tho, so I never needed much excuse to bypass all that shyte.

Could be. I've had a couple that didn't work properly, and the only issue was wrong plugs.

I always preferred manual anyways tho, so I never needed much excuse to bypass all that shyte.
He did just replace the plugs... I wonder if they are the wrong ones?

Aren't Canadian BJ70's 12V? If they are you want the 10.4V glow plugs with a manual glowing system. My truck had the 10.4's but still had the superglow system in place when I bought it. Took forever to glow because superglow works on a lower voltage. Long story short.... manual switch, 10.4's and it fired up in no time. New owner started it at -30. (pugged in) none the less an impressive feat.

He did just replace the plugs... I wonder if they are the wrong ones?

Worth checking before bypassing the superglow.

Always worked perfectly on my bj70, although it could have used a little extra time on really cold days. Was a healthy 3b tho. hardly needed glow plugs most of the time...unlike mootards original 3b, which needed glow after a highway run. :hillbilly:

Other important thing to note, have you received the stereo install on a 24v truck lecture yet? :deadhorse::lol:

That is correctm 86 and 87 are 24 volt units..

Cam, your truck should of had the 6volt plugs...

There is a good thread on installing the wilson switch, find the wire to the solenoid that feeds 12 volts, not the one with resister in line to drop volotage.

Just did one, all my wiring was done under the dash, as apposed to the way I use to do it from in cab into engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom