Advice on Replacing Power Steering High Pressure Line '91 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak in the high pressure power steering line on my 1991 FJ80. I have it disconnected from the pump and the power steering box and I removed the three brackets holding it to frame. The skid plate is out. I'm stuck trying to pull the line out.

It looks like it needs to pivot down and towards the back of the truck, but the hard line at the bottom keeps getting hung up and I can't get it under/behind the radiator. It runs from the pump, under the radiator to the front of the frame, across the front of the truck and then back under the radiator to the power steering box. Do I need to pull the low pressure return line too?

Any advice from those who have successfully ventured here before with the 3FE? Thanks!

I got it sorted: The radiator has to come out in order to replace these lines. They can only come out from the top.

I hate to ask, but is removing the radiator my only option to replace the High Pressure PS line? Really hoping there is a way to wiggle it out that I am not seeing without removing the radiator!

IIRC, the radiator needs to be loosened enough to raise it. At this point, you might as well remove it. If it hasn't been cleaned in a while, it is probably overdue.
Good time to take care of some other little things like belts and hoses.

i removed the entire paper clip with a wheel, replaced with a aftermarket oil cooler and lines in that location and never looked back. The power steering is working much better and temp is nice and cool.
Ssd4UGF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom