Advice on a 97' FJ80 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening y'all, new to the forums and looking into stepping into the world of LC's. I apologize in advance because I'm sure there have been a million threads on this exact topic.

Don't need many specifics at this point, I've done my share of research on some good and bad things to look for when purchasing. Would like a 2nd look from someone who may better spot something I'm missing or that seems out of place.

0.jpg
00L0L_1XltncnDDRQ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00l0l_e71dD2vnoTV_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00Q0Q_40TX4mddmFj_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00v0v_7v0tdL5VjmT_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Attached is the pictures I currently have that he texted me

Been in contact with the seller and I'm going to go look at it Sunday morning, title is clean and in hand, he allegedly has service records from work that have been done. Head gaskets being one of the specifics I did ask about.

It SEEMS like it's in good shape ( albeit I haven't seen it in person yet ) but I'm pretty set on the purchase, I'm fairly proficient mechanically speaking in doing my own work. If that makes a difference.

Anything to share, advice, criticism, ect is greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

0.jpg

Last edited:
Not seeing any under carriage pictures. Is there rust? I’d want a Carfax to see if the vehicle has spent time in the rust belt or Houston. After the major flooding there are lots of cars that have a salvage title.

Look over this thread that has a ton of info.

Assuming the title is clean, there are no major rust issues underneath, and it has not been in a major accident(s), I think it looks good. Obviously used (the engine bay is filthy :p), but seems to be well-cared for. I think $7500 is reasonable in your neck of the woods for a decent non-triple locked 80. Maybe offer $6700 and see where it goes.

I would be weary of posting the actual ad in the future. There are people who lurk here and flip 80s. Wouldn't be surprised if they contacted the seller already. Has happened before and I believe @Kernal gave a warning about this recently.

Just notes from what I see:
De-flared
No rear bumper corners
Dents in RF fender/PS door
Dents in RF fender (bashed in in front of door.)
Needs grommets in the battery box for cables
Has a new OEM radiator and cap
Heater valve may be old and in need of replacement
Typical saggy sunvisors
Non-Winch ARB front bumper.
Tires appear fair
Aftermarket wheels (I don't care for them, but your choice)

Assuming the title is clean, there are no major rust issues underneath, and it has not been in a major accident(s), I think it looks good. Obviously used (the engine bay is filthy :p), but seems to be well-cared for. I think $7500 is reasonable in your neck of the woods for a decent non-triple locked 80. Maybe offer $6700 and see where it goes.

I would be weary of posting the actual ad in the future. There are people who lurk here and flip 80s. Wouldn't be surprised if they contacted the seller already. Has happened before and I believe @Kernal gave a warning about this recently.

Thanks for the reply, edited the ad out and just put the pictures in. He's asking 7500, without looking he said he'd take 6500 since I'm driving 3 hours to come get it.

Just notes from what I see:
De-flared
No rear bumper corners
Dents in RF fender/PS door
Dents in RF fender (bashed in in front of door.)
Needs grommets in the battery box for cables
Has a new OEM radiator and cap
Heater valve may be old and in need of replacement
Typical saggy sunvisors
Non-Winch ARB front bumper.
Tires appear fair
Aftermarket wheels (I don't care for them, but your choice)

Thanks for the reply
Of all things considered based off what you see is this something in your opinion to walk away from? Does any of that scream red flag? Or should I just keep an open mind about what I'd be getting myself into. 6500 seems fair to me for it.
Thanks again

It's going to be a little rougher (in person) than the pictures suggest.

Just depends on what you want it for and how much 'fixing' you can do yourself.

Thanks for the reply, edited the ad out and just put the pictures in. He's asking 7500, without looking he said he'd take 6500 since I'm driving 3 hours to come get it.

Thanks for the reply
Of all things considered based off what you see is this something in your opinion to walk away from? Does any of that scream red flag? Or should I just keep an open mind about what I'd be getting myself into. 6500 seems fair to me for it.
Thanks again
Totally what @flintknapper said above....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom