New member new purchase/build mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
Just picked up a 97 collectors edition with 259,000 that was in a front in collision. It’s got decent service history, no head gasket paperwork and it does not look to be worked on that deep. I have a oil sample sent out to Blackstone have not received results yet. It is a factory triple locker vehicle in what appears to be awesome shape. Got it for a good price and was able to fix for pretty cheep with a body guy on the side. Going through the baseline stuff, cooling system, basic tune up, phh, belts and fluids. Anything I am missing?? Thanks for any input.

FCAAC6A3-E2EF-40D5-9F9C-80D0284460C5.jpeg

253F8869-80D1-476E-9288-000ECD8FB3AB.jpeg

A4F2B273-9817-4C63-9E18-2CBCC9DF2FC9.jpeg

All your main oil seals (oil pump cover, distributor and valve cover), hoses along the fire wall and cooling system. I am currently doing all this atm

Welcome!

Enjoy your new Toy!

The front end cleaned up nicely! Well-done! I found it to be so worth-while to do the little quality of life things like cleaning up the door switches (makes the interior lights and alarm system work more reliably), replacing the window runs, bypassing the stock audio amp, and installing LEDs everywhere.

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2: (Newbie Salute). I would recommend running away from this site as it will create an OCD sense of maintenance rarely seen on this planet. If you are unable to “put down the mouse” for your protection then start with all the consumables. Anything rubber (belts, hoses, O rings) should be suspect at this age. If the PO did reactive vs. pro active maintenance then there are bound to be issues lurking just beneath the surface. Find a trusted parts supplier (tons of great vendors here on the site, check them out first) for OEM and the world is your oyster. Get yourself a good set of hand tools and a torque wrench if you haven’t already. Search this site for the Service manual at one heck of a good price (free) by @Trollhole and dive right in.

Clean up the engine bay, run the vehicle, track down any fluid leaks, fix with quality parts, and repeat. Use this thread as your build thread and resist the urge to modify bumpers, suspension, audio, and tires until you sort out the mechanical needs. A kick @ss looking rig is useless if it is grounded (Ask me how I know).

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase and nice job on the repair.

I have a rear carpet and tailgate cover if you want to fix that spilled paint stain ;) ;)

Really now Comet, do you have to scare the new guy like that? We don't all change our oil every 1K miles or polish our trucks to a mirror shine--ok, maybe some do--Al from Long Island :p What we do share is a a passion for our vehicles, and sometimes, that means our priorities do get mixed up. The OP is already baselining his rig, and did you see his original bumper? I think that front bumper install was a smart idea. I would even argue that new meats is super important depending on how he will use his vehicle (admittedly it appears that his Firestones have plenty of life in them).

I don't think anyone will argue that mechanicals and safety come first, but when you're sick of sticking your face in the engine bay, the little quality-of-life things are easy, take little time to complete, and bring you just as much joy as changing the PHH. Or not...

Recommend
OEM plug wires.
denso plugs
OEM belts

lots of stuff you’ll want and stuff you didn’t even know you needed to be found here

The power seat fix found here

The lift hatch struts can be found lots of places. Don’t have a link to any I’ve used personally (do t recall which ones I went with)

or more discussion here
Rear Hatch Supports?

@Tachycardic he has been warned! Plus he joined in January so I am 100% positive he surfed the site for many months to years before that. He is one of us now (insert evil laugh with closed handed prayer finger tapping here).

I missed the bumper at first glance. Agreed that it looks good there.

OCD maintenance, yeah, I wasn't nearly as attentive to my vehicles before joining this group.
The good news is my wife's van and The Bean are ready to go cross county and back at a moments notice.
The bad news is...The List of SH!T To DO never gets shorter....LOL

thanks everybody for the fast response, the trail gear bumper isn’t my fav but for 450 it can’t be beat. Witts end just got $300 of my cash for baseline stuff. And there will be much more I already have some nice 2019 trd pro rims with 33bfg that I’m gonna slap on. I’ll keep the pics coming. It’s gonna be a slow process with work and two young ones. Now I have something to bury my money in besides guns. 😁 witts end prices seemed decent for oem parts and I like supporting a local guy (Oregon) is there a vendor with oem better prices? Thanks again

Also not my first cruiser just a new one to me I had a 97 10 years ago and made money once it was passed along, I have a 91 also that I impulse bought previously to this one. Gonna post it up soon as the wife thinks I don’t need two LC. 🤯

Congrats on the purchase and nice job on the repair.

I have a rear carpet and tailgate cover if you want to fix that spilled paint stain ;) ;)
Just caught this! Yah I’m gonna prob get deer blood all over the carpet this season so might just pull it or buy a weather tech mat.

So great news got my oil analysis back with a clean bill of health. No need to sweat the head gasket unless I don’t maintain cooling system.

7379C7C8-4BA1-4676-8CFC-2AA620316249.png

Also fixed a silly problem that was driving me nuts every time I used windshield washer I soaked the bottom of engine and firewall and did not get any water to the windows. So I did some mud searches and found it’s the diverter valve picture with part number will be posted. Easy 5 min fix and a little bit of coin.

613389A6-55F0-417B-A867-894A04114934.jpeg

A4B59E6B-BC8F-41D1-B3EC-5ECE3E84A98E.jpeg

Also hate to bore you guys but my wife doesn’t care about the small things! I fixed the ac also blowing 47 degrees I had to replace the dryer as it was ruined in the collision pumped the system down held a vacuum for 2 hours and charged it up per fsm, sorta I charge ac with the truck on and ac blowing 100%. I don’t know why the fsm says with engine not running?. Anyways cold ac for the summer!!!

So still chugging along with baseline got the knuckles rebuilt, new fluid front rear and transfer case, new rotors pads front and rear, new bumper. Going to tackle cooling this weekend along with phh. What are the thought on water pump? Replace ? Looks stock do they wear out or have a way to test?

45C67955-F98C-477E-ADD4-1DECB9C28AED.jpeg

9AE26365-6F09-47BB-9B16-8A150EF40BD9.jpeg

F3AFCC3D-10F3-46A7-BDB4-3BEC841DBA29.jpeg

62A28CAE-8A41-4D95-99A9-0E40327C3720.jpeg

716352EE-506C-4389-9861-0105CEF95301.jpeg

Also got the second battery tray installed and Slee relocate done.

(Coughs loud)

Turbo. Wake her up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom