For Sale Advice on 1990 FJ70 LHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hola, ya’ll. I’m Shawn. I hope this is ok to do here: I need some advice on this beauty I picked up recently here in Venezuela. She will be on a boat soon, to the US, and offered for sale with legal title, probably in Florida. Basically I’m putting out feelers to see the current value. I am originally from Athens, GA and have been living in Venezuela for the last few years. When I left there were none in the US due to the age restrictions, so I have never even seen one there. Any advice is appreciated.
1990 FJ70 LandCruiser LX model - Left Hand Drive – 3F Motor – 135,xxx kilometers 84,xxx miles
I purchased this FJ from a gentleman who held the title for his boss who left the country, so technically a two owner vehicle but in actuality a one owner truck. I have original sales invoice from Toyota, the manual, and the original three keys. The vehicle was garage kept and honestly the owner must have been a boring guy because it is in exquisite condition. The interior is perfect – seats – carpet – gauge cluster – ceiling are all in perfect condition. The body is perfectly straight with original paint. All gaps are correct. The undercarriage is impeccable with zero rust. The hubs are manual and original. Everything is original except for the radiator and the alternator – these were commonly changed due to reliabilty of the originals. The radiator is aluminum and the alternator is Cheverolet.
The Details: There are few chips in the paint(photos below) I am not going to repair them so the purchaser can see all the detail. I don’t want to try and hide anything. The hinge in the center console was broken and is being replaced with steel. The fender flares are being repainted because someone shot them with high gloss black at some point and frankly they looked stupid – repainting them the original satin black. There are also three different tires brands on this beast. Tires are very hard to come by here so it will be shipped as is. They are all the same size and in good shape but different.
Thanks for your time and if anyone want additional photos let me know and I will get them.

Shawn

A3D783DF-7197-48D8-9768-F75220C022E8.jpeg

3C938CA6-512F-4AB4-AA4A-50CAA6FEAE3D.jpeg

A49264E9-711F-4C20-99B8-4B6D09FA0BBC.jpeg

D6AA5E80-09D4-4C67-902D-7766EDBEAE4C.jpeg

FACDEE15-DC6A-4748-B014-33349793FC91.jpeg

Thanks for digging into that. Everything is complicated in Venezuela:). I never knew Venezuela produced FJ40s. Every VIN I’ve ever checked(many) has been Japanese. But come to think of it I think I’ve only ever looked at the 45 series. Maybe 45s were imported.

Thanks for digging into that. Everything is complicated in Venezuela:). I never knew Venezuela produced FJ40s. Every VIN I’ve ever checked(many) has been Japanese. But come to think of it I think I’ve only ever looked at the 45 series. Maybe 45s were imported.

They were manufactured as CKD kits. “Complete Knock-Down”. Large scale Erector Sets.

They were manufactured as CKD kits. “Complete Knock-Down”. Large scale Erector Sets.

How cool would it be to find a box with one in it

Question- has anyone had any success selling on Bring-a-Trailer. Seems like a lot more attention to detail but a lot less visability. But I have a feeling a “normal” guy isn’t going to stumble across an eBay auction and suddenly decide they want a 70 series. We are a special breed, I think. Thoughts?

I can’t say which is better but if you are going to use BAT, I would do so before eBay. BAT is selective unlike eBay in which listings they choose to post. If BAT sees that you listed before on eBay then they may not accept your ad. Just my opinion.

Based on the VIN tag, this was a CKD kit and was sent over to Venezuela as parts and then assembled in VZA.

Pretty cool.
That’s cool. How did you find that info? I ran a vin check on it which gave me the basics, but no details. I will have the title this week and she will be on her way north soon.

Gracias
Shawn.

He’s the all knowing Onur, that’s how!

I’m intrigued by this 70, very unique.

He’s the all knowing Onur, that’s how!

I’m intrigued by this 70, very unique.
So he has a crystal ball ;)

Definitely a super truck. I’ve never owned a 70 and it’s a blast. Soon as this one is sold I will buy another. Probably pick-up.

Gracias
Shawn

I took a few pics of the seats today for someone inquiring. I never took the covers off when I bought her. I was happily surprised with what I found. For a 28 year old truck it’s pretty great. But I definitely realized taking pictures of the interior is something I’m not good at.

0E47E274-26BC-484A-B8E3-68016E4DFF6A.jpeg

5F4E9A84-C20E-44E6-AC05-A865B27AE828.jpeg

4C018DE0-7F5A-45B3-AA60-3B8D8835DCE4.jpeg

4FDE2966-FB2D-4C6F-A868-9C15EA2151E9.jpeg

AB1CECD5-F2DF-4225-94C6-009D7FCEE884.jpeg

I take it this has the H55 trans?
I don't see an issue with the dana axle...parts should be plentiful and cheap here in the states.
The engine is just a 3FE with a carb, correct?
I am 99% sure it is H55. But it’s not listed on the VIN tag and it’s really hard to access because of all the skid plates. Yes the motor is 3F carbureted and purs like a lion.

I never understood why Dana would have been a problem. Every truck I had in the US had Danas. I can send any other info you’re interested in.

Gracias
Shawn
@andesoverlander - instagram

These Dana axles are specifically for the Latin American market, nothing correspondents with any Dana’s for the US market afaik

These Dana axles are specifically for the Latin American market, nothing correspondents with any Dana’s for the US market afaik

I had Dana axles in a piece of equipment, locked and narrowed. I would put $100 on no probs getting parts for that rear axle here, literally hundreds of Dana axle variations in this country not to mention that looks extremely similar to a D35 or D44.

Very odd that it is blue with brown interior if that is original blue paint. Never ever seen that combo.

So, I am on page two and still don't see a price.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom