Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally retired
I have a 1977 F340 that’s purely stock that I want to get going again I’ve dragged it along with me in life for 15 years and now I want to get it running again
I replaced the gas tank & slid under to change the oil (keep in mind this is sat for a number of years) opened up the plug and nothing came out I’m not even sure where to start
I feel foolish posting this but any advice about how I should proceed is appreciated
Thanks Rockwell

So I finally retired
I have a 1977 F340 that’s purely stock that I want to get going again I’ve dragged it along with me in life for 15 years and now I want to get it running again
I replaced the gas tank & slid under to change the oil (keep in mind this is sat for a number of years) opened up the plug and nothing came out I’m not even sure where to start
I feel foolish posting this but any advice about how I should proceed is appreciated
Thanks Rockwell
FJ40 (typo on my original post)

put some oil in and party on!

You might start by squirting oil in each cylinder (say one squirt with a pump oil can), and seeing if the engine will turn over, even by hand, or with the starter (you might have to jump it).

If it turns over, then fill it with oil, replace the filter, and fire it up!

Rocky

+1 for a spoon full of marvel's mystery oil in each cylinder - let it soak over night. With the spark plugs out, try rotating the engine by hand (I just pull on the fan). Clamp off/disconnect the the fuel line. If it turn, then change the oil filter and add engine oil. With the plugs still out, run the starter motor several cycles until you get oil pressure. See if you get spark. I had to file the points in the delco distributor to get spark.

I used my electric fuel transfer pump I built to pull about 17 gallons from gas from 2010 out of my front tank. It was sta-bill several times over the years - gas was bad, but not really stinking bad - weed killer grade.

Had to buy a new hydraulic clutch system. Master, slave and braided stainless steel for $127 (ebay) with an extra long hose, proper length hose was like $50 more. A rear brake shoe delaminated - napa was $50 delivered for an axle set.

It has taken a lot less effort to get Elsie running , than a free F150 that has been sitting since 2008.

So my stuff from Amoron was delayed, now its delayed again - I doubt I'll be ordering any more stuff from Amoron.

Check the dip stick level. It could be that the sump is clogged up with residue and blocking your drain hole.
Rare that you'd lose everything from the sump - maybe it was drained when stored??

Curious did you ever run the engine? Your few posts have all been about getting a 2F rebuild in Spokane WA except for one in October 2015 about a 2F for sale. Not sure if that this engine as only had the one post about a 2F for sale not one saying it sold.

Check the dip stick level. It could be that the sump is clogged up with residue and blocking your drain hole.
Rare that you'd lose everything from the sump - maybe it was drained when stored??
After checking the dipstick, pour a bit in the top and see if it comes out the bottom.

The drain plug on my '74 1F is so large it's hard to imagine anything clogging that, but I guess it's theoretically possible, and you'd want to make very sure that's not happening before continuing.

But check if the engine is turning over before changing the oil, save yourself 2 gallons of oil and a new filter if you end up having to tear it all down. Pull the plugs and try turning it by hand is probably the safest way to test, just turning on the starter is probably the easiest.

Where are you located?

You might start by squirting oil in each cylinder (say one squirt with a pump oil can), and seeing if the engine will turn over, even by hand, or with the starter (you might have to jump it).

If it turns over, then fill it with oil, replace the filter, and fire it up!

Rocky
Thanks to everybody that replied with the advice I really appreciate it
In answer to several questions posted
I bought that F J 40 in 1999 and I drove it for seven years as a daily driver when I bought it I got a second engine and a bunch of other parts Asin carburetor etc. so yes it ran for seven years just fine but it’s been parked since I got a job in Montana and had a commute from Spokane to Missoula for work every weekend I’ll give the suggestions try and I’ll update my post with the results
thank you all
FJ40 (typo on my original post)

Thanks to everybody that replied with the advice I really appreciate it
In answer to several questions posted
I bought that F J 40 in 1999 and I drove it for seven years as a daily driver when I bought it I got a second engine and a bunch of other parts Asin carburetor etc. so yes it ran for seven years just fine but it’s been parked since I got a job in Montana and had a commute from Spokane to Missoula for work every weekend I’ll give the suggestions try and I’ll update my post with the results
thank you all

If you had space to store the spare 2F you might regret selling seeing what they sell for today.

PM incoming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom