Adding a little bling……. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to see if I could polish the gas cap on my ‘72 FJ40. Here is the result…….

CD6092D1-F172-428C-AC5C-9CDCCD2D0BC9.jpeg

634637AE-81A6-4A38-B2C5-51D7DBF762F8.jpeg

225DFC7E-8995-43FF-B826-51D9D30FA7D6.jpeg

Share process?

so that is original chrome under the scratches?

Wow, that's seriously polished aluminum. Time to look at my hood spear and maybe go that route (sanding/polishing) rather than the crappy chrome rattle can I used. Thanks!

Wow, that's seriously polished aluminum. Time to look at my hood spear and maybe go that route (sanding/polishing) rather than the crappy chrome rattle can I used. Thanks!
Go for it! Very satisfying.

No it wasn’t chromed. From the way it worked I believe it’s aluminum.

Thought caps were steel but could be wrong. Need to check with a magnetic.

I started with sanding the metal with 11 grades of sandpaper - beginning with 220 and going up to 4000 grit. Then I used Meguiars polishing compound followed by their polish. All done by hand.

You lost me right at the start with 11 grades of sandpaper. I have bumperettes, bumper, bezels and few other prices that are chromed. Those and possibly 60 series wheel are about much effort I have time to put into bling. Kind of like when the gold packages changed to shaved emblems and everything black.

PXL_20230131_175210008.jpg

Now someone needs to make a replacement bezel that looks like the ones Toyota is putting on pickups and SUVs

Definitely ferrous. I put a magnet on the inside behind the fuel door to hold my cap when filling up.
I stand corrected. Good to know. Based on how easy it was to work on and on other aluminum I’ve polished in the past I thought it was aluminum. About 40 minutes start to finish.

Could be just the skin is aluminum and the guts are steel too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom