Added oil, not showing on dipstick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Converted my FJ60 to a daily driver a month ago. Checked the oil after driving for a week or so and it was low on oil according to the dipstick. Approximately a 1/4 inch of oil on the end of the dipstick. Added 2 quarts but oil level didn’t change. A couple of days ago I had low oil pressure, added another quart of oil and oil pressure went up. In total, I have probably put in 4-5 quarts of oil in the last two weeks but I still only have 1/4 inch on the end of the dipstick. Do I have a clog? We have some small leaks, but nothing major. Nothing burning out the exhaust. Engine runs good. Thoughts?

Does it look excessively oily under the valve cover? If one of the oil passages were clogged maybe its pooling up there? If that is the case I would be wary about driving it out of fear of running the bearings dry.

Also the oil capacity is around 8qts so it is possible you are still low.

One way to know for sure would be to do an oil change and see how much comes out and then refill with the correct volume.

Good luck!

Sludge covered cylinder head could cause clogged passages. BE VERY CAREFUL to not let sludge drop down into the motor.

Image of a sludge covered head:
20190416_083038.jpg

and a clean head:
20190429_170027.jpg

Drain and refill with 8 qts then you'll know that you have the correct amount. With that done then regularly check the oil and monitor the loss. Low oil pressure does not equate with low oil level. You can have as little as 2 qts in the engine and still show good oil pressure.

Be sure to check it consistently every time - like after sitting overnight, before you start the engine. If you keep adding all these quarts, it's bound to show up somewhere.

Take the valve cover off. Went on a trip with some guys driving an old truck with a v8 in it. checked oil when he left and it was fine. started rattling down the road, pulled over and nothing on the dipstick. added four quarts. by the time he checked it again it was overfilled. took it to a shop and they pulled the valve covers and the passages were sludged over. He always just made short trips. This longer trip pumped everything up into the valve covers and would would drain back slower than the pump would draw.

Thanks everyone for the replies. When I take off the cap on the oil filler tube and shine a flashlight to look at the head, it looks fine - same as when I replaced the valve gasket last year. Also when I pour oil in, I can hear it draining out of the head into the engine. So, I don’t think it’s pooling in the head.

Anywhere else it could be getting blocked?

Thanks everyone for the replies. When I take off the cap on the oil filler tube and shine a flashlight to look at the head, it looks fine - same as when I replaced the valve gasket last year. Also when I pour oil in, I can hear it draining out of the head into the engine. So, I don’t think it’s pooling in the head.

Anywhere else it could be getting blocked?
It would be easy to take the valve cover off and inspect the push rod holes and make sure they are all clear. The valve cover gasket is re-useable.

It would be easy to take the valve cover off and inspect the push rod holes and make sure they are all clear. The valve cover gasket is re-useable.
Freeze your gasket when you do so it won’t give yourself fitment issues

I’d say your low and we’re low. And it just needs more oil

drain and Refill the motor, oils cheap, motors are not.

I had this happen when I changed the oil a while back. I put the full 8 quarts in and got almost nothing registering on the dipstick. I let it sit for a while and still nothing... so I added an other quart and it showed up fine. I was perplexed. I ran it like that for a few months and checked it and I was almost two quarts over. So I drained and replaced the oil and the problem did not present again. Weird. I have no sludge. Everything had just been opened and cleaned up with new gaskets. I even accounted for the oil in the filter. I don’t know where it went but that one oil change threw me for a loop and still does.

There’s only one
True. I know with a lot of domestic motors (given the aftermarket for different oil pans) it's very easy to end up with an incorrect dipstick. However the 2F and 3FE dipsticks ARE different part numbers (so I expect different lengths & markings), so make sure you have the right one. The 2F dipstick is P/N 15301-61010. NLA new but you might be able to find one on eBay.

Correct me if Im wrong...but I didnt see your galley oil plug done. While cover is off, might as well get er done. If you have...ignore me and my bad eyes.

Correct me if Im wrong...but I didnt see your galley oil plug done. While cover is off, might as well get er done. If you have...ignore me and my bad eyes.
100% on this one. I speak from experience when I say it's aggravating to have to do it in the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom