ACSD - Blanking plate part number (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you are planning on removing Automatic Cold Start Device (ACSD) and putting on a blanking plate here is the Denso part #096218-0270
Cost is around $2.50

Cheers,

LandCrusher80
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Thanks for the info, this is on my to-do list.

Bosch part numbers for the same:
-blanking plate 1461074312
-viton o-ring 2460223001

I bought both at Western Turbo in Winnipeg.

Bosch part numbers for the same:
-blanking plate 1461074312
-viton o-ring 2460223001

I bought both at Western Turbo in Winnipeg.

Finally got around to ordering these today, about $20 plus taxes.

Pretty easy job from the passenger wheel well. You'll dump a bunch of diesel though.

I have had a few mechanics like John at Radd, and John at ateb both say you will need to re adjust the timing of the pump after you remove this. It will be out of spec.

No you don't have to adjust anything as the ACSD only changes the timing when the engine is cold. If you adjust the timing you are changing it from where it needs to be when the engine is warm.

This is what my diesel shop told me as well. I guess we need some clarification.

Be sure to look at the ACSD after you remove it. If the actuator "knob" is broken off, you'll need to look inside your IP for damage. Mine was fine, but others haven't been so lucky.

You will have to retime the ip after you do this.

This is what I believe as well. The ACSD seems to provide some tension on the timing all the time. I expected to have to adjust my timing post removal, but I have yet to do so. I now notice a more white smoke on really cold startups. Maybe a slight advance is in order.

This is what I believe as well. The ACSD seems to provide some tension on the timing all the time. I expected to have to adjust my timing post removal, but I have yet to do so. I now notice a more white smoke on really cold startups. Maybe a slight advance is in order.

Could this not be as simple as the ACSD is no longer there to advance timing during a cold start, and the actual pump timing is still accurate for all other operating conditions? If you advanced the pump to cure the white smoke on cold start, it would also be advanced the rest of the time, and that may not be what you want overall. There's got to be some give and take with this right?

I'll be sure to check the adjustment knob when I remove the ACSD, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
That's exactly why I haven't messed with it. Current performance is good. My fuel is turned up as much as I can go without smoking all the time. Boost is set at 15psi max. I get white smoke on a really cold start. I get black smoke when I put my boot to the floor. I get full boost by about 1800rpm. It idles smooth. I'm pretty happy.

I'm worried that messing with the timing may just open a can of worms. Maybe next summer when I get my injectors serviced, I'll think about timing.

1hz/1hd-t injection pump timing

The above line is the title from a previous thread that discussed the ACSD and pump timing. Sorry but i don't know how to post a link.
As commented in that thread the information i recieved came from a Technician at GCL Fuel Systems in Calgary and having removed mine it runs exactly the same once warmed up. (i do think it's quierter though, no rattle, although that may just be a mind game) It is only there for driveability (and possibly emmisions) when the engine is cold and is not doing anything when the engine is warm. Just need to use the throttle lock to keep my idle up if i want when the engine is cold.
Another clue would be that the timing specification is no different for an engine that is equipped with ACSD or not......
Cheers
RT

One more comment.....
Just because you don't need to adjust the pump timing doesn't of course mean you can't and in doing so, see improvements in performance. I for one, as well as many others i'm sure will be eagerly awaiting updates....love to turn mine into a good tow rig.
Cheers
RT

I know this is an old thread but I am in the middle of having my IP w/ ACSD worked on so I wanted to know why some people are deleting the ACSD? Yes, I read all the posts but the reasoning behind this delete still isn't clear to me.

Figured now would be the time to ask while my IP is out of the truck. IP timing will be done when I get the IP back on.

Hey @FJ73Texas ...I'm in the Hill Country too! I've got a 1991 HDJ81. Anyway, I just did this ACSD delete a couple months ago after many, many 'MUD suggestions to remove it, as the ACSD can catastrophically fail, dump metal shavings into your IP, and then you've got a ruined IP. The thinking is that a $20 (blanking plate, o-ring) DIY modification can save you $$$$ in the future by preventing a future failure point. In other words, the reduced risk for failure is worth the lack of having the IP automatically and temporarily adjusted to account for a cold start. Preventative maintenance, so to speak. My ACSD was not worn at all and I've got 167,000 KMs on our truck. That being said, I am having my IP swapped out because it is leaking diesel...27 years is quite awhile for rubber seals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom