Achilles heels of the 55 (ADVICE NEEDED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Id skip the power window and make it a clamshell. Toyota did. Look at the 60, 80, 100, 200
I kinda did this on my old wagon body. It *works. to do it well is alot of effort. That said, the liftgate hatch is very functional for helping to keep dryish while cooking on the tailgate

Thanks for pointing out additional problem areas.

Speaking of steering.......does anyone have a recommendation for a crossover steering set up or a link to previous discussions?

Thanks for all your help.
there is a thread I located via search the other day using 60 series power steering. The thread is titled FJ60 power steering conversion, or something very close to that. the basics are:

1. add a pump somehow (bill dorey style valley hybrids brackets)
2. modify the drag link to accept a larger fj60 drivers side tie rod end
3. remove the OEM steering box and shock tower, and replace the shock tower with something that will clear a 60 or 62 or 80 series box
4. Drill the frame and weld in some frame sleeves
5. you'll likely need to copy the shock solution to the passenger side to keep symmetry of shocks
6. cut the inner fender well to clear the box
7. extend your steering shaft to reach the new input spud.

you can upgrade to 60 series knuckles and arms, then the drag link will use 60 series tie rod ends on both sides, as well as using fj 60 relay rod tie ends - these are larger and better, and I wouldn't run larger than 33s without going this route.

Alot of people use ford shock towers.

You'll need new shocks.

aside from the ford brackets, the rest of the parts are landcruiser.

of course, you can apply these steps to any box, but some are easy to fit than others.

early 60 series boxes have a square rectangular bolt pattern- later 60 - 80 series share the same offset bolt pattern... I recommend the later, more ubiquitous offset bolt pattern for more option availability if a replacement is needed.

If starting from scratch, I would just go to the 80 box with the 60 pitman arm, so everything else bolts up. A 60 pitman will slip right on an 80 box.
I put an 80 box on the 40. (It has locked/disc axles from a hzj75 under it.)

There is also an 80 box on the 55 with a 2uz, but you can’t see it as well. It also has 70 series axles (coils up front) with discs in front and a LSD 3rd with discs / leafs for the rear axle. You can see the trailing arms on the 2uz 55 in the second shot. ldea here is ride quality without the extra track width.

Decent shot of the fender trimming in the first pic.

Semi-obviously the diesel one on the 80 frame has an 80 box on it as well (and locked 80 axles. But that kinda goes without saying.)

1665644503658.png

1665643292702.png

1665643465490.png

Last edited:
there is a thread I located via search the other day using 60 series power steering. The thread is titled FJ60 power steering conversion, or something very close to that. the basics are:

1. add a pump somehow (bill dorey style valley hybrids brackets)
2. modify the drag link to accept a larger fj60 drivers side tie rod end
3. remove the OEM steering box and shock tower, and replace the shock tower with something that will clear a 60 or 62 or 80 series box
4. Drill the frame and weld in some frame sleeves
5. you'll likely need to copy the shock solution to the passenger side to keep symmetry of shocks
6. cut the inner fender well to clear the box
7. extend your steering shaft to reach the new input spud.

you can upgrade to 60 series knuckles and arms, then the drag link will use 60 series tie rod ends on both sides, as well as using fj 60 relay rod tie ends - these are larger and better, and I wouldn't run larger than 33s without going this route.

Alot of people use ford shock towers.

You'll need new shocks.

aside from the ford brackets, the rest of the parts are landcruiser.

of course, you can apply these steps to any box, but some are easy to fit than others.

This thread? FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-power-steering-conversion-for-fj40-while-keeping-air-pump.84527/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom