ACE tintable Rustoleum product (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Semi Gloss or Flat

Does this paint come in Semi Gloss or Flat? I like the flat look of a car after it has been primed. I figure it wouldn't wear as well as a High Gloss, but I plan on doing a much more elaborate resto in few years, so it doesn't have to last forever. Thanks.

I think you can get the paint in any type.

BTW, good to see my old thread is still around!

I went to my ACE couple of weeks ago to get it matched and the color that showed on the screen was way different than what the actual color on the kick vent was. I am thinking that it could be the out dated early 90's monitor that they were using just not showing the correct color. What do you guys think? I thought about just going for it and seeing what happens anyways.
BTW, all the ACE stores that I have been to still sell it.

Never trust the color on the screen. Age and brand of computer screen will differ the colors greatly. If they scanned the color then it should match unless they mixed it wrong. Also, color will differ a little bit between what you see in the can and what it looks like dried on the truck

Go for it. I buffed my kick vent on my 69 with very faded original paint.
Match is real good. Not totally sold on the paint yet still need to experiment.
1 test took about 3 weeks to sort of dry...

Thanks, I just needed that reassurance. I was pretty sure after I got to thinking about it that it makes sense but the goof at the store didn't have a clue. Off to ACE again with my kick vent. Thanks again for all the info and I will make sure I take pics and post my progress for others to see what amateurs can do with this stuff. :cheers:

Glad to see this thread. I need to re paint my interior this winter. My buddy owns 5 ACE Hardware stores in the area and ACE actually makes that paint. The spray cans are Krylon. Just FYI. All the rigs look great!

Later,

Belaw

Sent you my address again after the server crash for the paint chip.

I sent a paint chip of 6h9 to Del (sfroman), who promised post up the formula after he had it matched. Unfortunately he doesn't have an Ace in his hometown, so it may take him some time to get to one.

I went by ACE this morning and got both the Gallon and Quart 6H9 paint codes for the ACE Rust Stop paint.

Here's the Gallon:
Exterior /Alkyd/Gloss
Rust Stop Oil 225
Base: Neut 340
..............Ounces.........Shots.........Half Shots
B................3................34................0
C................3................20................0
KX..............4................38................0

And the Quart:
Exterior /Alkyd/Gloss
Rust Stop Oil 225
Base: Neut 340
..............Ounces.........Shots.......Half Shots
B................0................44................1
C................0................41................0
KX..............1.................9..................1

So I'm dredging up a thread from a long time ago, but am wondering if anyone knows the mix ration between the enamel hardener (the 5-star 5108) and Ace paint.

If I have it correctly, I thin the ace paint down with lacquer thinner and add hardener, then spray. Sound about right?

I haven't bought the materials yet, but I have an extra body panel lying around that I can test/practice with, so I'd like to see what I can do.

So I'm dredging up a thread from a long time ago, but am wondering if anyone knows the mix ration between the enamel hardener (the 5-star 5108) and Ace paint.

If I have it correctly, I thin the ace paint down with lacquer thinner and add hardener, then spray. Sound about right?

I haven't bought the materials yet, but I have an extra body panel lying around that I can test/practice with, so I'd like to see what I can do.

Never worked with it, but based on 3rd hand reports I understand that you use the mixing ratio recommended by the maker of the hardener. Also, I have read where others recommended the use of an automotive acrylic enamel "fast" reducer instead of laquer thinner; supposedly speeds up drying dramatically.

Again, this is all from other sources, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of what I posted!!!!

Brian

That is how I did it but I used enamel hardener from tractor supply mixed 5/1/1 paint/thinner/hardener It worked great.

That is how I did it but I used enamel hardener from tractor supply mixed 5/1/1 paint/thinner/hardener It worked great.

Awesome. Thanks for posting up; that was exactly my plan as well (even the TS hardener).

Anyone know if Ace still offers the tintable paint? I have to travel about 40 miles to my nearest Ace Hardware and before I do, I want to make sure they still offer it. I wasn't able to find anything on their website.

Thanks!

How about giving them a call? I'd want to make sure the exact one that you are headded to does.

EDIT - Aha! It is funny how things change when you look at them a 2nd or 3rd time...Under the Ace store locator they have this nifty feature where you can select "Computerized Paint-Color Matching"...Tomorrow I will get some paint to finally finish this thing up - just in time for winter :-(

I had done that and the lady had no idea of what I was talking about...
Me - "Do you still carry Rust Stop tintable paint and color match for customers?"
Her - "Yes, we carry Rust Stop paint."
Me - "Thank you, but do you color match and tint the paint? I know that some people have had this done at Ace stores in the past."
Her - "We do have many colors available in the Rust Stop paint"

It started to be a "Who's on first?" of paint and I gave up. She was the only person in the paint department so i figured I would not pursue it any further and rely on my fellow mudders. My fault as I assumed that all Ace stores had this capability. Maybe this store does not and she was confused by my request. I should just wait till I am traveling and stop at any Ace stores along the way with my sample and check if they color match.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom