AC Condenser Again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
I have owned my truck for 20 years or so. I have replaced the AC condenser roughly 5-6 times. Do the math and that is about every 3-4 years. Are others having this issue? All of the units have been DENSO and all have had the receiver replaced at the same time.

The truck lives on the Central Coast of California and spends a lot of time at the beach. Can anyone suggest a different brand?

Thanks!

That seems very strange.
What is going wrong with them?
It might helpt to come up with a more permanent solution if we knew what was killing them.

Last edited:
That seems very strange.
What is going wrong with them?
It might helpt to come up with a more permanent solution if we knew what was killing them.

^^^^^

This. 👍

@Rusty Marlin and @flintknapper
Most have failed at, or near, the left (if facing the vehicle - see red box on image) tube attachment. As if the weld failed. The original was a corrosion blow-out. So I am thinking perhaps a bushing was not installed along the way. Thus, causing torque on the AC lines that creates a weak point failure over time. Some are at the weld while others are near the point of attachment of that tube.

Regards and thanks for any input!

condenser.jpg

@Rusty Marlin and @flintknapper
Most have failed at, or near, the left (if facing the vehicle - see red box on image) tube attachment. As if the weld failed. The original was a corrosion blow-out. So I am thinking perhaps a bushing was not installed along the way. Thus, causing torque on the AC lines that creates a weak point failure over time. Some are at the weld while others are near the point of attachment of that tube.

Regards and thanks for any input!

View attachment 2824044

I agree with your assessment. Vibration or some manner of torque being applied makes very good sense.

With that in mind you should check to see that both mounting brackets (at the top) are in place (Part # 88688-60190) and that both Rubber Condenser Cushions (bottom of condenser) Part # 88467-32020 are there and in good shape.

If your Motor Mounts have never been replaced...this also something that contributes to vibration and excessive engine movement which might be transferring to the condenser.

The answer to your original question is NO, damage/replacement that you have experienced is not at all normal.

Thanks @flintknapper for the part numbers. I will order up some cushions just to be safe.

The motor mounts have never been replaced. Perhaps that's some PM that needs attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom