ABS brake booster motor turning on exactly every 10 seconds. No brakes, ABS alarm and warning light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
Back again.
At Xmas last year I had the ABS brake booster motor in my UZJ100 fail while away on holiday.
I posted about that here:
ABS warning light and audible alarm, brake failure soon after....possible easy fix to get you going

In short, I cleaned out the motor, reinstalled it, and it worked again, to get me through my holiday, back home, and for several months later, when again it failed.

I then replaced the rotor, commutator and bearings as one unit, along with a set of brushes, all purchased aftermarket from the UK, and, despite being significantly noisier, seemed to fix the issue.
Despite much headache and delays...

However, last week, I was driving, and the ABS motor came on during braking, and stayed on.
Not wanting to burn anything out, I quickly pulled over, and turned off the ignition.
When I restarted it, it again immediately came on, and stayed on.
However, after a few times, of turning on and off the ignition, it did start to turn off.
However, the brakes seemed to not feel as good as before, and soon after, the ABS warning light and audible alarm came on, and I'd lost brakes.

The motor started to come on for two seconds, then off for 8 seconds, and kept doing that.
After leaving it for a few days, it now does the turn on every 8 seconds, stays on for 2 seconds, then is off again for the next 8 seconds.

Any suggestions?

I assume it is either the brake booster motor again, or the accumulator can, but I cannot be entirely sure.

At a guess I would assume the motor, as accumulator failures seem rare, and of course using aftermarket parts to rebuilt the motor are highly suspect...but then, I would assume that rebuilding the motor, it would either work, or not work.
So I suspect that perhaps its detecting its not building up pressure in the accumulator, so it stops, and then restarts it?
I did a sound recording with my phone, not realising that *.m4a audio files are not allowed to be uploaded here.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Yours is doing precisely what mine did before it quit altogether 2 days later.

My fix was to replace the motor and accumulator.

New1.jpg

I replaced the motor and accumulator with new, as Flintnapper did, but also replaced the master brake piston assembly - just another $70 or so. Not much extra work once you have it all out anyway.

Last edited:
I replaced the motor and accumulator with new, as Flintnapper did, but also replaced the master brake piston assembly also - just another $70 or so. Not much extra work once you have it all out anyway.

Yes, rebuilt my 'Master' as well.

MC Rebuild Kit2.jpg

MC Rebuild Kit1.jpg

I replaced my booster motor and accumulator with a brand new toyota unit and it started to cycle and yell at start up after just a few weeks. The main battery didn't pass a load test so I replaced it yesterday with a new interstate unit from costco. Issue didn't present this morning, but I'm not convinced its fixed. It really sucks to hear the warning come on after a thousand dollar repair. I've also considered cutting the connector from the abs module to the booster motor and installing a relay but I don't know what kind of current monitor the abs module uses. Hows your battery test out?

Thanks for the information @flintknapper.
I appreciate it.
Yes, I suspected I would have to replace the accumulator can thing, pump and motor as one unit... given I've already rebuilt the motor - albeit with pretty poor aftermarket parts, I think, given how noisy the new parts were.

Do you have any link to where you got it from?
The cheapest I've found somewhere was around $800 AUD ($600 USD at a guess) plus shipping.
That's for everything in the photo, but doesn't include the master brake piston thingy.

The whole unit, with reservoir, master cylinder, etc, I could get from Japan, but it was very expensive, around $2800 AUD ($2100 USD?)

Thanks for the part number for the piston kit too.
Is that for an 2003 series UZL100 though?
Googling it, I see at least one seller refering to 04493-60330 being for a 1/1998 - 7/2002.
I guess I can check with my local Toyota parts place anyway.

Thanks @robertbell5505, I checked my codes with a cheap scancode reader, and it doesn't show any relevant abs codes - think its too cheap a unit.

@gil12, yes, replacing the master cylinder piston thingy is a good idea - might as well while its out. Thanks.

I originally replaced the contents of the booster motor by removing just it from the vehicle, to avoid pulling the whole thing, but I'll have to now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom