A442F shifting from 1st directly to 3rd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I found the right page in the FSM. 83-85 point to the ESA (Electronic Spark Advance) Circuit link between the ECU and TCM.
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%208.34.38%20PM_zpsmpbvkzbz.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%208.48.16%20PM_zpsvv2nif57.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%208.51.02%20PM_zps0inl7njw.jpg

But since its the entire ESA circuit from the TCM is throwing a fault I'm thinking that the TCM is having an intermittent input from one of the sensors.

So I found the right page in the FSM. 83-85 point to the ESA (Electronic Spark Advance) Circuit link between the ECU and TCM.

But since its the entire ESA circuit from the TCM is throwing a fault I'm thinking that the TCM is having an intermittent input from one of the sensors.

The other possibility is a faulty TCM which might be easier to diagnose by swapping in a known working part.

Look what I found.....
Replacing the ECU is expensive. Checking the TPS is not.

Quoting Christo:

"The computer is looking at the idle circuit. So you might think the problem is at the tranny, but more than likely the throttle position sensor is faulty or misadjusted and it is not telling the tcm that the truck is idling. Use the FSM and check and adjust the tps if needed."

That sounds quite likely.

Yup that was it. The codes are misleading because they pout to a transmission problem in the FSM and a ECU problem on mud.

Took a second to uncover what that circuit is doing and which inputs it was using to find it pointing back to the tps.

Well I think the problem is that the sensor fails when it is heat soaked. It happened again today on my way up the hill to assist in some recoveries.

Except this time I got code 041 TPS signal. Also the TCM was putting out pulses to the diagnostic light but it wasn't enough to trigger the light... could the TCM be going down too?

Well I think the problem is that the sensor fails when it is heat soaked. It happened again today on my way up the hill to assist in some recoveries.

Except this time I got code 041 TPS signal. Also the TCM was putting out pulses to the diagnostic light but it wasn't enough to trigger the light... could the TCM be going down too?
I chased TPS code to, I ended up running a new wiring overlay for all four wires to the TPS. Left the factory wires and ran new ones along with it.

All is well, now.

Subscribed

It was a combination of two factors:

1) Failing TPS Sensor caused the TCM to freak out and grab the wrong gears / go unresponsive. This condition magnified when the engine got heat soaked.
2) A secondary issue was noticed, it felt like the trans was popping out of gear then slamming back into it. You can only imagine how terrifying this was to me. Well it did it on a climb in the mountains I happened to be along a rock wall which allowed me to hear the rapid clicking sound of a worn hub splines popping in and out of engagement. The culprit was a failing AVM 4x4----4x2 hub on the front axle. I locked the center and unlocked the hubs and the problem stopped. (In the middle of a 4x2 conversion)

So it turns out the TPS CAN AND DOES trigger codes 83,84,& 85. And HEAT does affect this sensor (even noticed at the end of a 5 hr drive in 100 degree temps that my new sensor was out of adjustment a bit due to the heat)

I'd bet that the later ECU addresses this issue by broadening the tolerance limits and possibly conditions the signal some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom