A slow walk down a very long road. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally made some progress that warranted an update. Pulled the engine back out and installed a new oil pan gasket. Much easier to do when it is upside down on an engine stand. Got it all back in and completely bolted down with all the accessories bolted back on the front. Got the radiator and mounting frame all cleaned up, painted and mounted along with new hardware and all the plumbing installed. Finally got the freewheeling hub studs in the mail so started to installed the Aisin hubs. As I was going through them to clean them up and install them I found that I am missing the clutch tension spring that holds the pawl to the clutch on both hubs. Anyone have a couple of extra? I also realized I have a mushroomed birfield. I cant get the freewheeling hub on the birfield so Georg bailed me out with a new to me one. So next up is swapping out the birfield for a new one, getting the tension springs for the Aisins, regasketing the tranny and transfer case then slapping it all in with a new clutch kit. Figured about another $750-$1K and it will be completely done mechanically. All that is really left is to do those things above, all new disc brakes and associated MC/booster and a couple of lines on the housings plus rebuild the steering box and replace the TR ends. I have the time, just wish I had the $$$$. As always, this thread is worthless without these:
image2.JPG
image1.JPG

Hi
Very nice . It's good to see you have an eye for detail.
I remember my 40 at that stage and the Buzz I got just looking at it and thinking " I built this "
It Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Money
Yes the bottom less pit .
My build is getting close to being done and in saying that it's almost time to add up the bill.
Nat wants to know if she can buy a diamond ring to the same value? " Girls " What can you do with a diamond ring?

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Time for an update. Made some more progress, finally got the hubs cleaned up and fully installed. I got a new pilot and throughout bearing and cleaned up the clutch. The disc and pressure plate have plenty of life left in them so I am replacing the bearings and putting the clutch back together. Once I rebuild the transmission and reseal the transfer case it will be on to bodywork and brakes.

Now for the bad news. I got an assignment to England yesterday and leave in Oct. I am trying to decide to either sell the project, put it in storage or attempt to complete it prior to Oct. The latter means taking out a small loan to complete everything else needed and hiring someone to do the paint and bodywork. The goal was to do as much of this myself as I could but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Kind of lost on what I want to do.

If anyone is looking for a 2014 Tundra, I have one for sale.

Finally made some more progress. Got all the front brakes done and put together and then moved on to the transmission. Got a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing, I was able to reuse the old pressure and clutch plates since they were virtually new Toyota OEM parts. Got all new bearings and a new to me input shaft (Thanks Georg) and bolted up. Still have to clean up the transfer case and reseal it and it will be ready to bolt in as well. Not sure if I am going to be able to bolt it up with the tranny in or if I will need to pull it back out and attach the transfer case and put it back in as a combo. Once this is done, the entire drive train will be complete and ready for body work. The way it looks that will have to wait 4 years until I get back from Europe before I can finish it up.

Zach,

Does the Air Force know they are interrupting your build? :rolleyes:

I'll bet you didn't realize just how accurately you were titling your build thread :cool:

Regardless of what you decide to do with your project, it will be the best decision you can make.

Enjoy your four years in England and cherish the time, making new lifelong memories, with your Wife and Son.

I wouldn't trade the memories of our Air Force experiences for anything in the world!!

:cheers:

If there was a way I could take it with me I would. Unfortunately it will be hard to find a garage big enough in England that would allow me the ability to continue the bodywork and put everything back together. So what I am going to do is put it into my parents garage and slowly collect parts over the next 4 years. Biggest problem is I didnt document the tear down as good as I should have and will probably be searching for parts when I get ready to put it back together. Nothing better than a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle. Good thing about this site is all the other build threads and great documentation that everyone else has done.

About the only day I dont have anything going on. Danielle has a dental appt at 3 and Jr has baseball practice at 2 so I am free up until about 1:15. I am flying every other day this week so plan on taking Thursday off. You going to be in my neck of the woods?

About the only day I dont have anything going on. Danielle has a dental appt at 3 and Jr has baseball practice at 2 so I am free up until about 1:15. I am flying every other day this week so plan on taking Thursday off. You going to be in my neck of the woods?

I can be ... I'll text you around 9am, if that's ok, and come by.

Progress is slow but still ongoing. The transmission and transfer case are now rebuilt and reinstalled. What a pain in the azs! Had to pull the trans back out to installed the transfer case. I thought I would be able to put it all back together in the truck but the rear cross member was in the way so I had to pull the tranny back out, slap it all together and then get it bolted back in. I think I blew out a disc and a nut doing that without an engine hoist. A buddy and I just hoisted it in there, dumb decision! The rebuild kit didn't have a rear output shaft nut so I ordered a new one from $OR along with a speedi sleeve for the parking brake hub and a parking brake rebuild kit. It was leaking like a champ prior to the rebuild but the seal looked in good shape. There is a nice little groove in the parking brake hub so the speedi sleeve should take care of that problem. Once those show up, I can put the driveshafts in and that's done. Just needs the rear brakes now, I have a PM into Poser for those. Then its time for the body to go back on. Just in time for long term storage :(.

It's all good, Zach!

At least, maybe, it will go into storage as a running 40... Sounds like you are getting to good stopping point.... Where you will be able to pick back up in 4 years...

Finally looks like a Toyota again. I sent the past week getting the parking brake put in and the drive shafts back in. I ran into a problem with the front pinion flange. It was a different bolt pattern than the original so i pulled the old one off the original 3rd and swapped out the pinion seal and put the original flange on and everything bolted up just fine. Went ahead and filled up all the fluids; both 3rds, tranny, transfer, engine and radiator are all topped off and good to go. My fuel pump gasket is allowing oil to pass through so I have to full and replace that again. I wanted to see some of the body parts back on her so I went ahead and put the front bib on just for s***z and giggles. Still waiting to hear back from Steve (@Poser) on the rear brake parts. Just need to Paypal him all the funds for those. I went ahead and ordered the Energy Suspension body mounts which will be here on Tuesday. This upcoming weekend I am going to trailer it to the muffler shop to have the original exhaust put back on. Well not original but its new, I had it installed shortly after I bought it. I also called 4Plus about a front bumper, want to get that installed before I get it loaded up and headed to Alabama. I plan on getting the body and all associated parts temporarily installed so that it looks whole and can make the drive while keeping bad weather from ruining it. I am leaving quite a bit off since it will all come back of again anyway for the bodywork and paint. Enough chit chat, here are some pics.

Last edited:
Finally looks like a Toyota again. I sent the past week getting the parking brake put in and the drive shafts back in. I ran into a problem with the front pinion flange. It was a different bolt pattern than the original so i pulled the old one off the original 3rd and swapped out the pinion seal and put the original flange on and everything bolted up just fine. Went ahead and filled up all the fluids; both 3rds, tranny, transfer, engine and radiator are all topped off and good to go. My fuel pump gasket is allowing oil to pass through so I have to full and replace that again. I wanted to see some of the body parts back on her so I went ahead and put the front bib on just for s***z and giggles. Still waiting to hear back from Steve (@Poser) on the rear brake parts. Just need to Paypal him all the funds for those. I went ahead and ordered the Energy Suspension body mounts which will be here on Tuesday. This upcoming weekend I am going to trailer it to the muffler shop to have the original exhaust put back on. Well not original but its new, I had it installed shortly after I bought it. I also called 4Plus parts about a front bumper, want to get that installed before I get it loaded up and headed to Alabama. I plan on getting the body and all associated parts temporarily installed so that I looks whole and can make the drive while keeping bad weather from ruining it. I am leaving quite a bit off since it will all come back of again anyway for the bodywork and paint. Enough chit chat, here are some pics.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

I also picked up a 3 speed skid plate since my original went missing somewhere in the past 42 years. It has a ton of scale and rust so I am taking it to the blaster tomorrow. Hopefully it will be done by Friday when I get back from a business trip to get painted and installed. I need to get some hardware for it though. Anyone happen to know what thread size and pitch the skid plate bolts are? I am thinking a 14 x1.25 but not real sure. Help is greatly appreciated as always.

Dropped off the skid plate for blasting this morning. If you are ever in Vegas and need blasting or Powder coating stop by and see Juan at Snail Motorsports. They have great prices and exceptional service and quality. I will have it back on Thursday when I get back from a work trip. I talked to Dave and got the bumper shipped out from 4Plus which should be here prior to the weekend as well. Ill get those on, the exhaust slapped back in and the body on hopefully before next Sunday. Ill tell you that I never thought I would be this close, what was supposed to take 3 months has taken 12 and now I hate that I have to put it in storage for the next 4 years. I wish I could bring it with me but I wont be able to get it on the ship in its non running condition. Oh well, just gives me more time to buy extra parts.

I also picked up a 3 speed skid plate since my original went missing somewhere in the past 42 years. It has a ton of scale and rust so I am taking it to the blaster tomorrow. Hopefully it will be done by Friday when I get back from a business trip to get painted and installed. I need to get some hardware for it though. Anyone happen to know what thread size and pitch the skid plate bolts are? I am thinking a 14 x1.25 but not real sure. Help is greatly appreciated as always.

Zach,

My skid plate bolts are 12, I THINK the pitch is 1.25 and I THINK the length is 1".

Dropped off the skid plate for blasting this morning. If you are ever in Vegas and need blasting or Powder coating stop by and see Juan at Snail Motorsports. They have great prices and exceptional service and quality. I will have it back on Thursday when I get back from a work trip. I talked to Dave and got the bumper shipped out from 4Plus which should be here prior to the weekend as well. Ill get those on, the exhaust slapped back in and the body on hopefully before next Sunday. Ill tell you that I never thought I would be this close, what was supposed to take 3 months has taken 12 and now I hate that I have to put it in storage for the next 4 years. I wish I could bring it with me but I wont be able to get it on the ship in its non running condition. Oh well, just gives me more time to buy extra parts.

If you really want to take it, don't you have time to get it running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom