A slow walk down a very long road. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

subscribed ... like that welder ...

all things considered i.e. your trials and tribulations, nice result re the frame ... I did the POR15 thing, and still have a bit more work to do inside the closed part of the frame rails ... ain't perfect but serves the purpose ... will probably go with the Eastwood solution as you have ...

shouldn't take much to find a front axle for the disc brake upgrade ... I can live with manual steering but like the disc brakes ...

Thanks, its a Miller 140. Unfortunately I don't have 220 in my current house and its a military rental so they wouldn't let me add a 220 outlet. I really wanted a 180 but when I retire and move home my dad has that and a tig so I figured a 140 would work well enough for this project. I already have all the stuff from a 60 to make a disc upgrade on the current housing but we shall see if a disc brake front is around anywhere. If not I will just rebuild this one.

Spent a couple of hours with it this morning. The dent in the housing doesnt interfere with the R&P and isnt leaking so I am just going to slap the 60 knuckles on and be done with it. I just have to find time to run out to Cali and pick up the 3rds and 2F from Rob. Thread would be worthless without this....
IMG_0903.JPG

Finally making some progress. Got the 3rds and an additional 2F from Rob just before Christmas. I was able to get them cleaned up and installed along with the axles in the rear. Still have to sand down the inner knuckles on the front axle before I can put it together but its coming along.
IMG_0962.JPG

In the mean time, I decided to break down the 2F and see what shape the engine is in. Just through visual inspection, I found a piece of the head cracked off. The section where the temp sensor goes into the top of the head is cracked off. I can still get a couple of threads into but I don't know how well it will seal. I don't want to get the head rebuilt and come to find that the head is screwed and waste all the cash.
IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0959.JPG

Got the head off and found this little guy on the #6 cylinder. Looks like the oil ring broke and decided to come out the side of the piston..
IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0958.JPG

Also found the cam has some rough spots on the top of the lobes so out it comes with the old lifters...however everything else in the motor looks great. Crank is good and still has standard bearings in it, cam bearings are standard and the block has yet to be bored. Just have to find some good pistons and rings and get the block put back together. Now the question of head comes into play. I still have the running 1.5F that came out of the truck. I want to take the 1.5F head, get it rebuilt, and stick it onto the 2F. I have heard this is possible but can someone confirm that this is legit before I spend the cash to redo this head. I am concerned since the 2F has domed pistons and the 1.5F has flat top.

Last edited:
Question for some of you experts. I was in the process of tearing down the transmission and transfer case and inspecting the input shaft. The teeth on the shaft are all in great shape however, the snout for the pilot bearing has a groove in it. Anyone tell me if this is acceptable or if I need to get a replacement input shaft.
IMG_0988[1].JPG
IMG_0987[1].JPG

Hey there, can't help with your input shaft question, but would like to see your build in person some day! I'm in Henderon, but drive all over town.

Hey there, can't help with your input shaft question, but would like to see your build in person some day! I'm in Henderon, but drive all over town.

Sure, I live on Nellis so anytime you are up in the Northeast let me know and you can check it out. My number is 702-370-1784.

I'd replace that input shafts.

What's the tooth count? I have a few on hand.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

It's an H42, correct?!

The tooth count for an H41 would be different.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Honestly bud I have no idea it was a PO conversion. He got it out of a junkyard in AZ when he got the 1.5F so I am going to make the assumption that it is. However, I have not pulled the top plate to check the tooth count yet.

It's very easy to figure out. Get me the tooth count, not the spline count.

Ty

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

After 6 months of what was supposed to be a 3 month project I have finally gotten her back into a roller. Sandblasted and painted frame, front and rear axle rebuilt, new brakes, and a lot of parts from various guys (Thanks to Georg, Kurt, and Rob) and lots of weekends and work nights. Taken me longer than I hoped but it's still progress and for that I am happy! Thread is worthless without these....
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424832063.038309.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424832076.795135.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424832088.447197.jpg

Looking great! The day its a roller again is almost as good as the day it moves under its own power. Congrats! Still hoping I can see it soon!

Made a little more progress. Got the original 1.5F tossed back in and all the extras taken off. Got it prepped ready for paint so the plan is to primer and paint it up tomorrow and clean up the oil pan and it should be back together with an updated electronic dizzy and Marks Off-road header. All it will need is a rebuilt Carb and she will be ready to go.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425269869.633784.jpg

So got the motor all painted up and the new big cap dizzy installed. I know the pointer should be pointing towards the #4 cylinder just wanted to make sure this looks about right to all you fellas before I button everything else up.
IMG_1041.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom