A question of power - engine swaps between years? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've really been focused on 2006-2007 LCs because 230 (or 235) hp vs 275 hp is about a 20% boost. That's pretty significant. But is also VERY limiting in terms of available vehicles during my searching, and most will have other "features" I'd rather not have (NAV and AHC). So, is it possible to retrofit a VVTI engine into a 1998-2005 LC? If going <2003, would you need to replace engine and trans together? Of course anything is possible sure, but is this a reasonable swap (i.e. less complicated than a diesel swap)?

Am I just needlessly getting hung up on the power thing?
I know everyone has their favorite years, and there are pros and cons on several, don't want to rehash all the differences, just focusing on power here...

-Brett

Don't take this the wrong way but if power is what your after a LC is the wrong truck to be looking at.

40hp is a large number but these rigs are such heavy trucks the difference is not as night and day as one might think. I would just try and find the most well maintained truck with the colors and equipment your looking for.

To answer your question I'm not sure what is involved with swapping a vvti top or engine in an older truck. Now if someone has swapped a 5.7L from a newer Land Cruiser or lx570 I'm all ears.

Don't think swap into a 1998-99 would work as they don't have VSC. VSC has a connection to control throttle, so connectors might be different for ECU. You need to spend some time on wiring diagrams to be sure.

IMHO, you shouldn't worry about it. The earlier engine actually has 10 ft-lb MORE torque (according to Edmunds). I don't think you will miss the power unless you are at higher revs. Unless you are towing all the time, and need 70mph high-rpm passing power, I bet you would be just as happy with the earlier engine. I'm totally satisfied with the power on my 2001. Maybe drive one and see what you think.

Am I just needlessly getting hung up on the power thing?

Yes.

I like the VVTI & 5spd, but limiting your search to 100 series w/ VVTI makes for a very small pool of vehicles (that also tend to include navigation & AHC)

While swapping a VVTI engine and/or 5 speed auto into an earlier 100 series is in theory possible, it just isn't worth the time/effort/expense involved.

My personal order of preference is VVTI (w/ 5spd), non-VVTI w/ 5spd, non-VVTI w/ 4spd. I do like the lower 1st gear of the 5spd, but the actual difference between all of them isn't all that great. Look at the torque numbers between the different variants of the 2UZ-FE instead of the HP numbers.

My DD is an 06 LX, my son's is an 00 LC. I miss my memory seats, illuminated gauges and 5spd speed transmission more than I miss VVTI when I drive his car, and I do enjoy driving his car.

I had an 05 a couple years ago, and now have an 04. In the 100-series, i think the change from 4spd Auto to 5spd Auto makes a lot more seat of the pants improvement than VVTi does.

Don't limit yourself to just an 06/07, I have a heavy foot and am very happy with my 04.

Just a quick question, Does the 5 speed downshift on hills as much as the 4 speed. It is the only thing that annoys me about running a 98, I live in a very hilly part of the world and passengers look at me daft when the gearbox decides it wants to drop to 2nd and the engine starts to sound like a race car, even though I am driving fairly slow.

Don't take this the wrong way but if power is what your after a LC is the wrong truck to be looking at.

Fair comment :)
And I appreciate all the other comments you and others have made, tells me I am probably getting way to hung up on this. My thinking was that precisely because LCs aren't known for their copious amounts of power that the 20% would be all the more obvious/needed. But it seems that most of you don't think so. Which is good. Widens my shopping basket :)
Does sound like staying 2003+ would be prudent for the 5spd, which I figured. I have another tow vehicle (F350 Crew Cab Dually), but would like to use the LC as a backup tow vehicle for the lighter duty trips. I would also think the extra gear would help with less "gear hunting" on hills where maybe 2nd is too low, and 3rd to high on a good incline in a four speed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom