A-pillar gauge pod for 2-3 gauges? (2-1/16") -- Gauges for Supercharger install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
Hey all -

Anybody found an 80 series specific gauge pod for the A pillar that holds a minimum of 2 gauges?

I'm adding a supercharger & would really like to keep my gauges on the A pillar - I looked over @ egauges.com & all there was described for the 80 was single gauge pods.

If there's not an 80 series specific one, what have you guys had success with that holds at least 2 gauges & fit reasonably well (pics would be nice!)? If it comes to it, I don't mind using a heat gun & molding the shape a little.

Has anybody fit 3) 2-1/16" gauges on the A pillar & retained the grab handle, or am I asking too much?

I plan to have a pyrometer & a charge air temp both pre- and post- intercooler, if I can fit 3 on the pillar.

Also, planning to do Raventai's coolant temp gauge mod to my cluster, and add a Scangauge that I think will reside on the top of the steering column.

Do any of you supercharger guys think I should be looking at other guages?
I'm open to all ideas & I'm no expert on superchargers, so all input is appreciated.

Pics of what all you have installed for instrumentation would be cool, if you have 'em.

Here's the thread on how to mod an Acura dual gauge pod to fit in an 80 and retain the grab handle.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/121529-dual-gauge-pod-install.html

An EGT gauge and wideband air/fuel ratio gauge can be helpfull too, especially if you are going intercooler and smaller pulley.

70sguy did a nice gauge install in the dash vents too.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/321565-vent-gauges.html

Not to mention a trans temp gauge since it will be working alot harder under all the added torque.

Howdy! When I bought my rig, it had a EGT gauge in a single pod on the A pillar. I am also running a Scan Gauge II. If your getting an EGT, look for one in a higher range than mine. It tops out at 1500, and I frequently cruise at 1200, which is beginning to get into the danger zone, according to the gauge face. I think it is a diesel scale, not a gasser. How ya doin your intercooler, anyway? I am thinking pretty hard about this too. John

Thx for all the input so far - I am really looking at those PLX guages, since the amount of things I'd like to monitor does exceed the realistic area available for 2-1/16" gauges that only pull 1 point per gauge face -

So with the added input so far, here's my list of points worth monitoring & how I plan to have it displayed:

Scangauge install - I believe I can pull all points the ECU sees, will know more when it's in my hands & I've read the literature it comes with. IDK how many points you can leave onscreen, will probably leave coolant temp up if there's only 1 point displayed at a time.

Cluster coolant temp will get Raventai mod to increase sensitivity

Pyrometer w/ ~1200* as midpoint read.
-Will be a full 2-1/16" guage on pillar, since it's the 1st place to see detonation/lean condition that will show up as rising EG temps

AFR (air-fuel ratio) - again, inportant enough to have as a 2-1/16" on pillar

Slated to be added (if not in Scangauge) by way of PLX unit:
Transmission ATF temp
Charge air pre-intercooler
Charge air post-intercooler
Boost PSI

What do you guys with positive manifold pressure think of my proposed setup?

Anything I'm missing?

well guys you have asked i will deliver i had an email from one of your forum members and it made me curious and well here i am i am the guy in Aus doing RHD i will now make LHD to suit the 80, email me if you are interested adrianandsusan@bigpond.com i will compile a list and go from there.
Cheers
Adrian
4x4 Concepts
Also i will do a good price for forum members if the moderators let this through (sorta spam)

triple, double, and single but the single will be up high near the grab handle so you can still slot a GPS in the corner but triple first

well guys you have asked i will deliver i had an email from one of your forum members and it made me curious and well here i am i am the guy in Aus doing RHD i will now make LHD to suit the 80, email me if you are interested adrianandsusan@bigpond.com i will compile a list and go from there.
Cheers
Adrian
4x4 Concepts
Also i will do a good price for forum members if the moderators let this through (sorta spam)

Adrian,

That's great, I and others have been looking for an 80's specific pod for quite a while. Most have gone with an Acura Integra pod that works but doesn't really look to have the proper display angle off the 80's a-pillar.

Stoked that someone can finally come up with a proper pillar pod for our rigs.

:cheers:

You might want to post up a separate thread, I'm sure that there are plenty more 'Mudders that will not read this thread specifically, but will want a pod.

Linus, Aussie Lockers said the LHD is being tested now or ready now?

Heya-
Haven't been on here in a couple weeks, but so far Adrian told me a little over a week back that he had sent a 3 gauge model for LHD (2 copies actually, I'm fitting both & returning him the one so he can produce these knowing they fit well & gauges are "aimed correctly", assuming the ones he sends need a little finesse work to make a perfect fit) -

IDK if Adrian is associated with Aussie Lockers (he's in Australia, 100% of what I know there) - so I can't speak to that.

Anyhow, once I get them I'll snap a couple pics, both mocked in place & not - I hear it retains the grab handle even with 3 gauges, for those who are interested.

I'll post when I have pics -- you might send Adrian an email at the address he provided -- he's been as crazy busy as I have, so getting him on PM's here may not happen in a timely manner, but I get email replys quickly - I think the other guy who got a prototype from Adrian just fell off the edge of the planet, at least as it's been told to me, so if I understood Adrian correct, he won't be in production until he gets back the one he sends me (that I don't even have yet) - so that's the current status of the whole deal.

If you see this Adrian, feel free to correct anything I have said that isn't accurate from your end of all this.

Linus,
Thanks for the update. I had been following that from afar for a while now, just keeping it in the back of my head. Looks to be a great product when it's worked out, and when it's here, it's here. :)

Pics of what all you have installed for instrumentation would be cool, if you have 'em.

I went the other direction on my SC work truck -- keep it simple. I'm personally not a huge fan of A pillar gauges for many reasons, and normally on boosted engines, the only heads-up one I suggest is boost. Even then, when doing installs, I always put a dimmer cut-out for the back-light feature. IME, there are two types of gauges, reference and diagnostic. A boost gauge could be considered reference (it is good for cruise control O/D drop-point anticipation on the SC trucks), but EGT and Oil temp/pressure are diagnostic gauges IMO. Diagnostic gauges don't need to be line-of sight.

That said, here is my boost gauge install (1.5in 15psi fuel gauge)
attachment.php

For IC in/out, I used this gauge installed in the switch-blank next to the rear heater, which currently measures air at the Airbox and air in the intake manifold (center position is differential). But I normally install them in turbo cars to measure pre and post IC. (The gauge below the ash tray I since removed, is a aviation Hg gauge I used when I was doing some accurate boost vs ignition testing)
attachment.php

After years of doing gauge installs, I'm of the feeling that A-pillar gauges are really distracting. For track car builds, I don't recommend a-pillar because multi-depth-of-field gauges cause a lot of eye refocus and fatigue. I still install a lot of them on street Audi turbos, but I always get thanked for the dimmer delete switch. With 90 thousand miles Supercharged on my 80, I have felt no real desire to 'add' any other gauges, reference or diagnostic.

YMMV, IMO, IME, HTH and my .02

Scott J
94 FZJ80 Supercharged - Boost and air temp only

I'm in for a 3 gauge pod.

Will these be color matched for oak and grey or will we have to paint them ourselves?

Good Q - I hadn't addressed this w/ Adrian, I was just happy the prototypes were ABS plastic & not fiberglass, so I'm keeping my expectations low - I expect we'll all be painting though.

SUMOTOY - good call on the backlight cutout function - I actually did that exact thing on a old VW I had with pillar mount gauges, because less is more at night, and if I really am curious it was a rocker switch away. Plus it cut down on the "advertisement" factor in low light conditions, for whatever reason we each choose.

I did a mock-up to decide if the pillar mount gauges would be a PITA for field of view (they were in the VW - flatter windscreen & I really didn't like it afterwards) - all I did was take a ~10" chunk of 2.5" PVC pipe bevel cut at the dash & holes drilled in it & zip-tied to the grab-bar - I personally didn't find it too obtrusive driving around like that for a few days (windscreen curvature???), otherwise I'd have done as you did & looked for alternate locations - but you bring up a good point & I'd suggest others experiment / do something like I did - you might hate the gauges hanging off the pillar, it's a personal call.
-But you make a good point & one worth others thinking of before going gung-ho on this.

Bump

Were these pillar pods ever produced for us lefties??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom