Builds A Newbs "New" 1991 1HZ Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got it out of customs FINALLY last Friday night. It is every bit as rad as I hoped and more. More power than I expected it to have given everyones comments of N/A 1hz's being slow.

They are fine. I drive mine every day on the freeway and in the suburbs. You need to change gears at the correct rpms without over revving them.
Forget 1st, do a 2nd gear take off.

They are fine. I drive mine every day on the freeway and in the suburbs. You need to change gears at the correct rpms without over revving them.
Forget 1st, do a 2nd gear take off.
I definitely realized that right away. Glad to hear you do the same. I only use first if there is any kind of incline or to creep like the semi trucks in traffic.
Still learning the proper RPMs and speeds for each gear but it is super enjoyable just commuting around town so far. Plenty of pull mid way through 3rd and 4th gear RPM range to get up to highway speeds. I find myself naturally cruising around interstates at about 80-90kph. Could go faster easily but no need so far.

Would you say around 2,250-2,500 rpm is ideal for shifting up to next gear?

I love first, you go 12 feet and need to change to 2nd, dont be a hater
Unless of course you're in 4WD in which case you'll only go 2' before you need to shift. :)

Unless of course you're in 4WD in which case you'll only go 2' before you need to shift. :)
Hey man, the troopys are talking here, why dont you go and sit on your cloth driver seat and peddle over to rob to help you change that tail light thats out.......

(please dont kill me :-D)

Hey man, the troopys are talking here, why dont you go and sit on your cloth driver seat and peddle over to rob to help you change that tail light thats out.......

(please dont kill me :-D)
:lol: To be clear the seats are both cloth and bouncy.

Last edited:
Hoping someone could confirm if my suspension is stock or Old man emu. I thought it was going to be all stock but when I put on these 255/85's it seems i have more clearance than I thought I would (stoked about that, no complaints :)).
This would be easier to tell if there wasn't rust proofing covering any branding on suspension components.
You can tell the shocks are yellow which is why I think OME brand. The rear leaf pack seems pretty heavy duty. 6 leafs in front and 8 in back. Here are some pictures I thought might help but say so if a certain picture would help confirm.

Thanks in advance for insight from you guys who have OME lifts.

Rear:
toolswheelslift-3.jpg
toolswheelslift-4.jpg

toolswheelslift-9.jpg

Front:
toolswheelslift-6.jpg
toolswheelslift-5.jpg

historically yellow shocks does fit OME brand as well as bilstein nitros i think. I have ome leafs as well can check when i get home

historically yellow shocks does fit OME brand as well as bilstein nitros i think. I have ome leafs as well can check when i get home
I know the answers to all of these questions but since the "Troopy's are talking here" I'll just keep it to myself. :)

EDIT: checked mine and does have 70 stamped on it.. 8k miles springs from the looks of it then. perfect stand on it

Last edited:
I definitely realized that right away. Glad to hear you do the same. I only use first if there is any kind of incline or to creep like the semi trucks in traffic.
Still learning the proper RPMs and speeds for each gear but it is super enjoyable just commuting around town so far. Plenty of pull mid way through 3rd and 4th gear RPM range to get up to highway speeds. I find myself naturally cruising around interstates at about 80-90kph. Could go faster easily but no need so far.

Would you say around 2,250-2,500 rpm is ideal for shifting up to next gear?

My changes are close to 2700 in traffic, but a few hundred lower works. I drove my other HZJ75 1300 klms in 13 hours one day inc 300klms on a dirt road. One fuel stop:steer: and a few food and toilet breaks.

Hello,

Nice Troopy.

The 1HZ engine will last you a lifetime with proper care. Not the fastest one but low RPM power is good enough.

Springs look stock, as do shackles.

The rear leaf spring looks factory.

A number of aftermarket shocks come in yellow.

One quick way to check: look the shock's upper half. Stock ones have TOKICO stamped on it. Some models have a stamped part number as well.

It is possible that the PO changed shocks at some point, and skipped the leaf springs. Leafs can be expensive to reply, at least in my neck of the woods.

I would replace the shocks and the steering damper for the time being. Then I would go for the springs.

Juan

Hello,

Nice Troopy.

The 1HZ engine will last you a lifetime with proper care. Not the fastest one but low RPM power is good enough.

Springs look stock, as do shackles.

The rear leaf spring looks factory.

A number of aftermarket shocks come in yellow.

One quick way to check: look the shock's upper half. Stock ones have TOKICO stamped on it. Some models have a stamped part number as well.

It is possible that the PO changed shocks at some point, and skipped the leaf springs. Leafs can be expensive to reply, at least in my neck of the woods.

I would replace the shocks and the steering damper for the time being. Then I would go for the springs.

Juan

Great insight, Juan. Much appriciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom