A Humble FJ80 OM617 R151F Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like D+ is "dash light".

on the denso alts, the idiot light is activated when the L terminal is pulled to ground.

Do bosch work the same or the inverse?

Well, I used D+ to pin 3 on the FJ80 Harness (Black w/blue stripe). This way I may retain my indicator light, I'll have to ground the signal to check.

Preliminary Multimeter check indicate ~13.5V @ idle , ~14.2V constant max @ (idle + ~300 to 1000 rpm), and ~12.5V when engine is off.

AAAhhhh where are the pics, i'm leaving for a camping trip and won't be back on the net till monday.... the suspense will kill me.... just kidding. I've always thought about doing something like this. i'll check back on monday to see how its coming. :cheers:

The tank works and is plumbed, but she sits pretty low...
IMG_0729_2.JPG

Da MC...
IMG_0721_2.JPG

In the Truck w/VSV on firewall...
IMG_0798_2.JPG

Exhaust downpipe shortened...
IMG_0800_2.JPG

4Runner Clutch...
IMG_0797_2.JPG

Figuring motor mounts...
IMG_0782_2.JPG

IMG_0781_2.JPG

Put her as far back as I could...
IMG_0788_2.JPG

When you post the images using

Last edited:
Hey Gang, Thanks for the support and picture display advice!

This has been a lot of blood sweat and tears, but she's coming along. I was camping/stargazing with the fam this weekend, but I can get some more stuff up on here. If you guys want pics of any certain thing just let me know, the angles and tolerances were stupid tight.

The motor mounts were just plate cut with a cut-off wheel and tacked in place then stick welded off vehicle, the plates on the OM617 were from Luke of the Illustrious 4x4Labs, and the rest was swearing and beer. (Oh, and NEVER buy harbor freight mini-magnets; they began falling off from their OWN weight. ((More swearing and beer)))

In recent news, I opened up the t-stat housing to change a weeping gasket and found... nothing. Well, a gasket with a metal plate in it, but no t-stat. Also, my oil cooler doesn't seem to warm up when the engine is hot...

Also, what do you guys think about running the PS return through the former Tran-Cooler, would I be able to run hydro acc. of of this pump, or is it vastly too small?

P.S. I had the 3F-E engine/tranny/tcase on c-list for weeks for $300 for all with no takers...

Crud. Nope, they are not. I bet it's because your account is new.

Perhaps you should ask a mod to fix them?

nope, he is using the wrong code in the brackets - it's:
- the slash is only in the end bracket

Ahh, I see, thanks DSRTRDR! I am trying to upload the pics directly so lets see...

Original Clutch Location!
picture.php

(Edit)Repositioning...

picture.php

Last edited:
Proof that even an idiot (me) can succeed (posting pics) with diligence and tenacity!

Planning on dual T-cases??? with the stock tank removed you have the room and would make it one of the envies of the 80 series sections. :D

Perhaps down the road, it would be sweet... the low end of the R151f 1st gear with the om617 is a good substitute to get me by until then!

I think you would have to cut a tunnel in the center to clear dual cases, I had to beat the body out of the way to clear the driveshaft.

I will post some "massage" pics this eve.

I know this is one of 'those' questions, but any specific reasons behind doing the swap to an older/slightly less powerful engine other than because it's diesel and MPG (and apparently very reliable, not that the 3FE seems to have trouble in that department)? I know with a manual tranny you can recover some of the power lost with our factory A/T even if you lose 20 ft/lbs of torque with the Merc but just curious. Neat project regardless.

Hey Sampak, I am a scientist and I welcome 'those' questions! The flames of scrutiny temper us, right?

I did a lot of research before digging into this, and when I calculated the power to weight ratio of the OM617 + R151f vs the 3F-E + the A440 I was within ~5%; (granted with pretty rough numbers, using 140hp for max on OM617 and 160hp max for 3F-E).

Then when you factor in the parasitic loss (some estimate 25-30%!, is this realistic?) of the Awd Auto, I would, at worst, have more usable power than I do currently.

I cannot afford a H55, and though it is mega-stout; I think it is over-engineered for this application, and I won't likely be turning 37's. I also had the R151f/xfer in the garage, and the OM617 in my old man' s garage.

I would also massively simplify the vehicles design, eliminating EFI and the dependency of electricity for locomotion.

I currently reside in the PNW where OM617's are cheap and abundant, and yes, massively reliable. (The 3F-E is very reliable as well (mine had 155-160psi on all 6 with 271k on the clock), but I got 11.9 mpg ALL of the time. It was very uncanny, even the magic screw (fuel pressure dampener) could not work it's 15mpg mojo)

I cannot afford a 4bt, nor all of the related accoutrements and power-upgrades for the truck to tolerate such a beast.

It also seems that if a UniMog platform can be successful with a OM617 that the FJ80 platform would do just fine.

Also, as a scientist, I am pretty stupidly patient, and have no need to rush into traffic or to issue gobs of torque suddenly into the drivetrain. I have been driving an auto 22re 4runner for the last 3 years, so pretty much anything else is faster off of the line.

All this being said, this is an experiment, and I have yet to get a set of real world numbers from this rig, but it will be interesting to see the result.

Well thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now that you mention the other aspects about the swap. I hadn't considered the cost, nor the fact that the older OM is not EFI or needs any of that wiring and complexity we're accustomed to with the 3F-E (as relatively "primitive" it is to modern day tech --still rocket science to me though).

As I recall, the 2 'decently' rebuilt or serviced stock FJ80's I've seen dyno'd on the forums have put down up to ~90 AWHP so I'm guessing the 30% parasitic drive train loss to all wheels is correct, with only part of that loss attributed to the A/T seeing as how typically on a simpler FWD sedan, for example, A/T can lose up to a total of 15% to the drive train, compared to 9-10% on an M/T. So all those propeller shafts, transfer case gears, along with front AND rear axles suck the life out of the ol' 3F-E even that much more.

That is some crazy loss!

Before the swap I had swapped in the locking hubs and dropped the front driveshaft for a week. Mpg went up +1.

The complexity was certainly part of it, as was not wanting an ECU for water crossings; but the electronic side doesn't frighten me too much, I was an Avionics troop working on F-15 electronics in the AF for a few years. The added advantage is that a large EMP will not render the vehicle dead-in-the-water.

That is some crazy loss!

Before the swap I had swapped in the locking hubs and dropped the front driveshaft for a week. Mpg went up +1.

The complexity was certainly part of it, as was not wanting an ECU for water crossings; but the electronic side doesn't frighten me too much, I was an Avionics troop working on F-15 electronics in the AF for a few years. The added advantage is that a large EMP will not render the vehicle dead-in-the-water.

LOL ok now that you said it, I'll admit I was thinking about FJ60-62s before giving up and just getting the 80. Reason being I wanted a carb'd engine (never worked on one but sounds like I dodged a bullet) due to the whole Zombie/EMP apocalypse craze we have going around lately and figured that as long as the coils/spark worked, I could have a working car/truck that can go almost anywhere with my family, with supplies, and make it out of town. :D

Wow, F15s? Nice!

LOL ok now that you said it, I'll admit I was thinking about FJ60-62s before giving up and just getting the 80. Reason being I wanted a carb'd engine (never worked on one but sounds like I dodged a bullet) due to the whole Zombie/EMP apocalypse craze we have going around lately and figured that as long as the coils/spark worked, I could have a working car/truck that can go almost anywhere with my family, with supplies, and make it out of town. :D

Wow, F15s? Nice!

If we lose commercial refining ability, the gassers will be on the road for a few months tops.

A year into the coming zombie EMP apocalypse, only the diesels will be rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom