A Humble FJ80 OM617 R151F Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can actually get the Lubro Diesel Purge at my local NAPA for a fraction of the cost of online!

I have run one can through when the fuel was low, but I haven't run it directly yet, though it suggests it on the can as well.

I ran two cans through my Isuzu 4BD1T that was having injection issues (think the rack was sticking) With in 30sec of running the engine on the straight purge it was like new. Was amazing and I got it on film too.

I was extremely impressed.

Sounds like you are rolling right along. :cheers:

Sounds like you are rolling right along. :cheers:

Gratzi! She does roll very fine, but now the tranny is leaking where it meets the transfer!

I guess I will pull the transfer this evening, at least it will give me a chance to "pretty up" my tranny mount since I can weld a little better now...

Tried to notch and bend some valve wrenches...

23785-1380095963-fb69978dae02fce4c0dde30d8256fecc.jpg

Also, Craftsman tools sure aren't made the way they used to...
(And I didn't use nearly enough heat!)

23708-1379185113-9d777607f43ee0df14b3fddb28da4b04.jpg

But I still got there...with some welding and grinding.

23747-1379346858-c09dc43cd03d21b2abc6cf804f611c96.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see this sometime if you're up for show and tell.

On the wrenches- I would expect the material (medium carbon or toolsteel) any hand tool is made from to break in that situation. If you need to make a bend like that again a good way to do it is to heat the bend area to cherry red on the INSIDE of the bend and use light hand pressure to form it, then slow cool. By heating the inside of the bend the material crossection will be increased as you bend maintaining strength. When you weld a higher carbon steel alloy it's difficult to be certain what the outcome will be, but heating and bending is a pretty safe bet.

DIESELJEEP, Thanks for the props! I got 'er from 0-60 in ~22sec! (Shifting @ ~4k). She maxes out around 80mph, never tried to push her much past that. I don't mind if she is fast either!

69rambler, I did use heat, but certainly not enough!
I agree, I would also expect any high-carbon steel, such as tool steel to snap vs bend, but the metal structure where it snapped seemed to look closer to cast than forged. Maybe rushing production without proper annealing? (Of course I am no metallurgist!)

I am down for show and tell anytime, I'll shoot you a PM.

P.S. Here's a closer look at the break pattern...

23791-1380139288-fa792f85af2c42b6f7fb09c68ac1ab94.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mattafact,

Around ~3k miles and no huge red flags yet!

Little leaks and hiccups and clarifying the wiring; the persistent knock hasn't worsened!

My new mission is to wire in the stock tach and calibrate it using the merc tach with a potentiometer.

(Oh, and the 93+ front brake upgrade (and rebuild the front end!))

So what transfer case did you end up using? I'm from portland and would love to check this build out sometime.

I am using a 23-spline RF1A (Turbo Truck - Gear Drive) set up currently, I just recently found a broken shift rail in the xfer:

24385-1387268089-c8345e9102e60d5864755eb87c719025.jpg

I am going to swap in a R150/case temporarily while I replace the rail. I was also looking at upgrading the gears in the case while I am in there.

I'm across the river pretty often, drop me a PM and we'll find a time to check out the Good, Bad, and Ugly but Servicable.

Overall I am very happy with the swap, though I certainly gained nothing in the power dept/!

Last edited:
Rebuilt the front end this week, used a kit from Low Range; even had the gaskets for the '85 locking hubs, Thanks Guys!

Upgraded to the '93 caliper/rotor on install; bolted right up. Used Toyota rotors/pads/lines w/ Napa Eclipse semi-loaded calipers.

Of course the brake upgrade requires larger wheels to clear. I went to 16" wheels and put on a set of 31" Goodyear Duratrac's; pretty awesome all-around tire, pretty smooth on the highway as well.

Got injectors rebuilt with Monarch Nozzles, looking forward to seeing what they do!

Have you been daily driving it? Does it have enough power?

Yep, drive it every day!

She has enough power for me, and accelerates better than the 3FE. I think I am generating about the same power to the wheels.

That being said, there are guys here in Portland putting 4BT's and 6BT's in these rigs for power. That was out of my price range for this project, and I didn't plan on a lift or bigger tires. I will put a bumpers and sliders on it, but otherwise the ride is stock.

If I was using a more built rig, I might have gravitated toward the Om603's or a 4BT.

I haven't dialed up the fuel or boost yet either, and the exhaust could be opened up a bit.

That being said, she will pull 80 mph on the highway; but she's not real quick to get there.

Yep, drive it every day!

She has enough power for me, and accelerates better than the 3FE. I think I am generating about the same power to the wheels.

That being said, there are guys here in Portland putting 4BT's and 6BT's in these rigs for power. That was out of my price range for this project, and I didn't plan on a lift or bigger tires. I will put a bumpers and sliders on it, but otherwise the ride is stock.

If I was using a more built rig, I might have gravitated toward the Om603's or a 4BT.

I haven't dialed up the fuel or boost yet either, and the exhaust could be opened up a bit.

That being said, she will pull 80 mph on the highway; but she's not real quick to get there.

That's good to hear. How about fuel economy?

I get about 18 mpg now, but that is running ~3k rpm cruising and shifting at ~4k.

Yepper, I was getting 11.9 in the mountains, on the highway, and in town. Always 11.9 right on the dot, and it never seemed to matter how I drove. That makes me think the awd auto tranny uses some juice! (Of course they would being the beastie bus trannys they are!)

It might be a little underpowered for some folk, but I really like the OM617 mated to the R151f, they complement each other well.

I wouldn't hesitate to put this setup in a 4runner/pickup/Fj40/70, etc. I really like it in the FJ80 as well, but I'm a pretty patient dude, it might not be for everyone.

Tomorrow I plan on putting the new injectors in and opening up the fuel and air a little, Big Fun!

Have the new nozzles installed, used some viton lines for the injector returns. Throttle response is much smoother from 1-2k rpm, though she still knocks! Can't wait to turn up the fuel and air!

While humming right along at 72, I was suddenly greeted by the pungent smell of diesel. I got to where I could pull over, and popped the bonnet only to reveal one of the injector return lines had loosened and was pumping diesel all over the engine. I reinstalled the line more fully, since they had warmed up, and nary a leak in 100 mi.

Moment x1000 that I don't miss having a gas engine...

Last edited:
Sheared 4wd pawl carnage pic...

24784-1390542865-eb1a4e83304423e2575552cbef4be92e.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've done a little bit of cleaning up the switches for the glow plugs:

IMG_1107.JPG

And the Stop Button for the VSV to actuate the vacuum shutoff:

IMG_1105.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom