A copperhead bit 2 of my dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CandyPants

K9CRZ
SILVER Star
Threads
And now he is dead. I am not a proponent of killing snakes, but bite my dog in an area where my kid plays, and off with your head.

I was at the bar with friends for a birthday and my husband calls the bar looking for me. He let the little dogs out front and surprise! A little copperhead was sitting right there and nailed 2 of them before he could do anything.

They are both under 12 pounds, so it's going to be a long night and we're not sure they will make it. Please keep your fingers crossed for us. It's been a bad doggy week...we just put one down for spleen cancer last Thursday.

IMG_4077.jpg

I know that there are copperheads in the area, but I have never seen one. Sucks about the dogs. Hope they recover. At least it wasn't the kiddo

Yeah, they are here. This is the third one we've seen. One was already dead and the St. Bernard picked it up on a walk and was carrying it around. My hubby thought it was a stick until he grabbed it to throw it. The other was a baby in the grass.

I am SOO thankful it wasn't Margot. I'd have really gone off the deep end then.

My thoughts are with you...

Makes me sad to see any dog hurt.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes. :frown:

My dog is 12lbs too.

Good thoughts toward you and your guys. :)

Did you kill the baby. It is the most dangerous. If you have seen that many, you may have a nest near by.

Aww, heck. I'd be worried my kids too.

Got chased by a water moccasin, once. Big pucker factor.

There likely is a nest nearby.

I am on a snake hunt today, that's for sure. Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts.

When I went to the Vet last night, they thought that the little Italian greyound took the worst of it, but I tried to tell them that the doxie got it first. Whatever, the treatment is the same. But the IG looked worse because it was just above her eye and swelled fast. This morning, it's nearly down and looks pretty good. She is also doing well.

The doxie, who is older than dirt, is not doing well, is throwing up, has major swelling all over that side of her body and who won't eat her meds (which is VERY weird for her). Not looking good for her. I've been up most of the night with her giving fluids and what not, but I don't know if she'll make it.

This sucks.

Did you kill the baby. It is the most dangerous. If you have seen that many, you may have a nest near by.

My husband found him while he was mowing the grass. I think he ran him over with the mower.

Damn Heather - I'm sorry to hear that. :frown:

Was the snake in the carport? I killed two in my carport when I lived in Clemson. I don't usually kill snakes either but these two apparently had a toothache and wanted to work it out on me.

I hope the pups recover quickly.

I am on a snake hunt today, that's for sure. Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts.

Some people in oz spray their boundaries with diesel. They reckon snakes dont like crawlin across it,I dont know if it works:meh:

Yikes...hope they make quick recoveries. Like the others said, I would do a good search for a nest on the surrounding properties also.

One of our boxers was bit on the front leg by a copperhead. One unhappy dog for about a week. Dogs and cats tolerate the venom much better than humans. Biggest issue is respiratory if bite is around head/neck.

Copperheads live primarily on east-facing rocky slopes. We lived on an east-facing rocky slope. Used to kill at least one per year. Have moved since and now we have a huge black snake patrolling the new yard.

Bummer :frown:

I hope your dogs recover

Damn Heather - I'm sorry to hear that. :frown:

Was the snake in the carport? I killed two in my carport when I lived in Clemson. I don't usually kill snakes either but these two apparently had a toothache and wanted to work it out on me.

I hope the pups recover quickly.

I would never consider not killing a venomous snake.

I would never consider not killing a venomous snake.

If there is one hanging around my home, where it can threaten kids and pets, it is dead.

If I am in the wilderness, and I see a venomous snake, I avoid it or relocate it, unless it is a direct threat. His territory.

Last edited:
If there is one hanging around my home, where it can threaten kids and pets, it is dead.

If I am in the wilderness, and I see a venemous snake, I avoid it or relocate it, unless it is a direct threat. His territory.

Words to live by

That's pretty much my take on things. If I am where it lives, I am the invader and I avoid and go on. If it is where I live, it's open season.

And, as an update on the dogs, one is doing fine (the one that was struck second and in the eye). The other I had to put down today. The venom causes the blood not to coagulate (sp?) and she was bleeding out. She was a 15 year old 12 poudn dog, so she didn't have much to fight with. We'll miss her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom