A/C Drain location (Photo request)...drip under glovebox at carwash! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Ok, it's 2:00am and I'm a super novice when it comes to truck repairs. I have read many threads and I think I'm punchy at this point. Here's my story...

I need a photo and location where to find the "A/C drain tube" as I suspect mine may be clogged.

I have an 04 LC. When I take it through the carwash, I see a drip coming from under the glovebox, which from what I understand is the evaporator box. I run the heater while I am going through the carwash, and I can see the drip coming from what looks like a foam seal.

Other than the carwash, when I run the heater or A/C around town, everything is fine...no leaks. I checked the sunroof drains, and they appear to be clear. I ran some weed eater string down the holes and didn't feel any blockage. Pouring a cup of water down each hole too exited under the running boards fine.

My understanding is that there is an A/C drain tube (have yet to find) and an evaporator drain (a little tube that I found close to the firewall on the passenger side under the hood. This drain is where you can connect the canned cleaner to take care of musty smells right?)

What leaks is not antifreeze or anything like that...just carwash water and soap. I even had a windshield company take a look at it, and their analysis didn't see any problems or leaks.

Anyway, if someone could snap a photo of where the A/C drain is, or exactly where it is at, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

Yo: Random act of kindness...don't expect it all the time :flipoff2:

After a 5-second search for "a/c drain"...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/661085-ac-drain.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/154346-stupid-design-c-drain-location.html

Another one under "water cabin leak": https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/636302-cabin-leaks-what-cause.html

If your leak is "...just car wash soap and water" its not from the A/C drain. Pull the mats, get a good flashlight and start tracing the flow right after a car wash. Using a hose in the driveway at home might help localize the leak...

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I crawled under the running boards on the passenger side and either I'm blind, or I just can't see it. Is it behind the passenger front tire up in the wheel well somewhere? I looked at the photos in the link, but just can't find it.

Thanks,
Jason

Ok, I lifted the hood and on the passenger side firewall, I see a black tube (nozzle) sticking out. Is this the AC drain? See orange circled in photo. Should I be able to stick a screwdriver or wire or something straight through it or does it bend at a 90 degree angle?

Thanks,
Jason
photo.jpg

Btw, the drip comes from the black box under/behind the glovebox. There's a foam gasket on the right side of the black box where the drip can be seen. Lasts about 30 seconds and stops.

Kept the heater running today, and dumped water down the sunroof drains, cowel under the windshield wipers (air intake)...no leaks. Only when I'm going through a carwash.

Thanks,
Jason

just to throw in my $0.05 here. I had a similar problem, and after a LOT of searching, it turned out to be the roof rails mounting rubbers. if they perish, and the bolts are then slack, then water can go in there, and flow along the hollow channel inside the truck roof, and then run down inside the A pillar, and drip down into the footwell.

/Pete

Thanks Pete! Didn't think of that. I didn't notice any of the trim up around the windows being wet, but definitely something to check out. So yours was also dripping out of the same area I described above under the glovebox?

Jason

The evaporator has a removable door. If you remove the glove box you will see about a half dozen screws holding it on. I had a similar leak not that long ago and when I opened it up it was caked with dirt and grime on the bottom, clogging the drain. After cleaning it out, I ran a light stream of water into it and verified the drain was working.

Grego, what year is yours? Mine is an 04. I have heard that behind the glovebox looks different depending on the year. I took my glovebox off, and I see a bunch of screws and bolts. Which should I remove to get back to where you are talking about?

Thanks
Jason

Mine is an 02. The screws run around the cover about 5" wide by 8" tall. I don't have any pics but it should be pretty obvious; over the top of the foam seal that is leaking on yours.

I will try to get a picture for you in the morning.

Thanks Grego. I have the version that doesn't have the filter door. I actually took all of the screws off of the cover, but ran out of time and had to button it back up. I didn't actually pull the cover off. Is it really hard to get it off once the screws are out? Mine seemed to be.

If you could snap a photo of the inside of the box with the cover off, it would be helpful to see where the drain is that could be potentially clogged.

Thanks again!

Jason

Since it happens when in a car wash, is sounds more like your sunroof drains are clogged, do a search for that.

Thanks Pete! Didn't think of that. I didn't notice any of the trim up around the windows being wet, but definitely something to check out. So yours was also dripping out of the same area I described above under the glovebox?

Jason

Now that I believe I've fixed my sunroof leak ( long story there) and checked my sunroof drains ( all clear) I now have the same leak you have; under the glovebox. Water is slowly leaking from the gasket near the A/C.

Most attribute it to sunroof drains, roof rack or windshield. Sine the first two in my case are ok - anybody know how to identify via markings and or etchings an OEM windshield vs. an aftermarket replacement? I would guess there are countless aftermarket options.

I'm guessing this is the source of my newest leak.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Came out to the truck today and noticed I had a puddle under it near the right rear tire. I looked under it and saw this behind the right rear quarter panel..
IMG_1342.JPG

Now obviously you can see the location from where the water is leaking. My question is, is this an A/C drain hose for the rear A/C or is this a drain hose for something else? Or is this part even supposed to be leaking?? There looks to be a drain hose down and to the right of that leaking spot but I'm not sure what that's for. It honestly doesn't even look like a hose at all but I was in a hurry and couldn't get a good look up in that recessed area. I am going to the dealer tomorrow for maintenance and if it's something that needs to be replaced I will do it while I'm there. It has been fairly warm and dry recently so I have been running the A/C a lot, that's what leads me to believe it's some drain hose for the rear A/C.

That's your rear evaporator drain. It's a little slit type of thing so mud and stuff doesn't get up there. If you run the rear AC it will drip. Nothing to worry about! its a good sign that it is dripping, if it wasn't you might need to worry about it being clogged.

@Ganndolf Thanks! That's exactly what the dealer mechanic told me. Glad to hear that's working fine:rolleyes:

Passenger side water leak under the glove box, you can see a drop in front of the orange trim tool.

Is the engine compartment drain (at the bottom of the orange tape on the firewall) in the video the same one everybody refers to when discussing this? The fix for this is to open the hatch where the water droplet is under the glove box and reseal it?

*edit: I didn't realize Ozzy was so loud in the background of the vid, if I can't figure out how to mute or decrease the audio on YouTube, I'll reshoot it without the background noise. ...2nd edit: Had to mute video in 3rd party software, can't be done on YouTube editor.

Last edited:
I am revisiting this thread. I have a ton of water on my passenger side floor after a long (6 hours) drive with the AC on. Is the consensus to replace toyota part number 88891-60040 , which is the cover @weakspleen illustrated above?

I am revisiting this thread. I have a ton of water on my passenger side floor after a long (6 hours) drive with the AC on. Is the consensus to replace toyota part number 88891-60040 , which is the cover @weakspleen illustrated above?

No, that part number is for the cover. the cover does NOT include the gasket. What you need, and almost everyone who has a 100 at some point, is part number 88578-47040. 9/10 if you see water on the bottom of the black box, you need this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom