98 - 2000 100 owners - Is your Transmission Original or Replaced? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tranny Experience

2000 LC, purchased new. 105K. Toyota warranted rebuilt tranny at just short of 60K. Truck serviced as per book. Screen and pan full of shavings.

Truck used to tow v nosed tandem axle toy box trailer from time to time. Mostly pulled with the Tundra I owned at the time. GVW well below LC max. Some towing in the North Georgia, North Carolina mountains. Some full throttle grades to keep up with traffic.

New tranny serviced at 90K. Will flush or change fluid again at 120. Truck has large tranny cooler (stock) mounted in front of radiator.

The tech at the dealership was mystified. Said they hardly ever see one that eats itself from the inside. Lucky us. We were stranded for 4 hours in the middle of the night on the way home from Texas with 2 young'uns. Tow truck finally showed up along with good friends to rescue wife and kids. I rode with the tow truck to get it to the dealer.

Bad tranny that didn't like towing??

2002 with the original tranny. 110K miles. We had the fluid replaced at is recommended interval. Works wonderful... no issues.

2000 with tranny failure around 100k in Moab, UT. It was a clear manufacturing defect (thrust washer failure) and not service related. I had a low hum at low RPMs shortly before it went out with a loud bang. The tranny fluid was grey when drained.

Thank goodness there was a friendly Jeep owner with a working Jeep to tow my not so working Toyota to our accommodations for the night. Note, one-way rental cars from Moab to Denver are $$$$, and so is replacing the tranny.

Breaking down far from a paved road and far from home sucks, I've been there. Luckily my repair was cheap.

2000 95k no problems

1998 128k miles original transmission 4 speed.
2003 78k miles original transmission 5 speed.

My 2000 LC trany failed at around 100k miles. Front planetery bearing failure. I bought it used at 60k miles and hard 4x4 it around 25k miles before it failed. It is a daily driver for my wife, who was driving it to get groceries. She thinks the tranny got messed up when I was pulling a Ford Focus off a beach in Oregon with my winch cable hooked up to it and running in reverse with a bit of wheel hop. Instead of the normal I park on the hard sand and pull you to me bit. Anyway the rebuild was 2K and its been fine since.Oh and it was out of warranty of course.

Could everyone with failed transmissions please state the day their vehicle was made? Or at least the month?

2000 Land Cruiser with 105k and original transmission, no problems so far!

1999 Land Cruiser 167,000 miles - new re-manufactured Toyota transmission installed yesterday. 119,000 miles with TRD s/c. I am not sure if that had something do with it but it has been slipping 1-2 gear for over a year. Last Sunday, I lost all forward gears but reverse still worked.

Using TLCA Discount at Stevens Creek Toyota (parts guys Grant and Eddie in Service)
Transmission $2,000 + $1,000 core
Service was $1400 with the TLCA discount $900

98 Landcruiser with 149k Miles. No issues. Regular service interval on Tranny every 30k Miles - JT

1998 LX, 134K, original everything except timing belt and water pump. And hood struts. Fabulous machine. Makes me glad I have a right foot.:clap::steer:

2000 LX (06/00) 105K Original Trans, Fluid done at 30k and 60k....runs great

2001 LX (01/01) 107K Original Trans-Just got this one about a month ago, serviced as recommended by Toyota/Lexus, but I drove up step paved hill today for the first time since I got it and it felt like the trans was slipping.:frown: Can anyone help me figure out if it couldn't make up its mind between 1st and 2nd or am in the 1% of bad cruisers.:crybaby:

The hill was pretty steep, atleast 35 degress and pretty long, I was doing about 1800 rpm going up...not sure what my speed was.

Please help me!
Thanks!

1998 white, 120,000 miles, original tranny with no problems. Drain & refill every 30,000 miles though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom