98 - 2000 100 owners - Is your Transmission Original or Replaced? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like the easiest way to keep it fresh. What did you do, first time you drained it you measured the amount that came out and then just added that amount back in every time you did a Oil and Filter change and transmission pan drain?

I just added till it was within range on the dipstick, that comes out to almost four qts. Always check your level.

BTW: I have been using dextron III for the last four years with no issues.

Dan

There is a lot of information in this board about transmission oils. However, those are scattered across multiple threads. There is criss-crossing information there. Often times, you have to read loooooong threads to figure out what the consensus is if there is one. If we could get answers to some of these questions, maybe we can put those into a FAQ about tranny oil that is not a 3 page thread.

1. Why flushing is not recommended by this board?
Check this link for the answer from amsoil: http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/Trans_Flush.htm

2. What is a good way to change tranny fluid?

3. How often should the oil be changed?

4. What kind of oil to use?

5. If you want to use synthetic oil, what is a good approach to transitioning from current oil to synthetic?

6. Step by step instructions on doing a drain and fill? Perhaps someone who is experienced in this could do the step by step instructions. It would tremendously help those of us who want to do it ourselves, but lack the knowledge.

7. If you bought a high mileage used 100 and want to transition to synthetic oil, how do you go about it?

Last edited:
145,000 miles on a 1998 LC. Changed fluid at 60K and 120K.

No problems...

Original Tranny

105,000 miles
Quickie service twice, full pump out once.

Another thing,
About every other time I change the oil, I drain the tranismission. This only lets about four qts out. then I refill it when Im refilling the engine. It takes no time.

Dan

Could you elaborate on what type of tool you use to pour the ATF down the little dipstick? (what size pvc tubing?)

2000 83,400 miles. Built December First 1999. Original transmission, had the fluid changed at 54k miles, gota get it done again soooooon.

Slight hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, but thats just from me downshifting when i was stupid...i dont do that much anymore. Still feels strong, doesnt slip.

1Loud,
What kind of downshifting are we talking about here?

Jim,
For filling ATF, I found a funnel that fits exactly inside the dipstick pipe. I squeeze it down so that I can fill up the funnel without anything seeping out between pipe & funnel. Still slow though. Use warm oil. (Not so easy at below freezing)

99 WITH 119k. SERVICED BY DEALER AT 65 AND DRAINED AND REFILLED LAST NITE MYSELF. DIFFICULT TO TELL HOW MUCH YOU DRAIN SO IT IS A SLOW GETTING IT RIGHT GOING BACK IN. USED A FUNNEL FROM AUTOZONE WITH A LONG REMOVABLE TUBE. HAVE TO POUR SLOWLY OR IT BACKS OUT.
I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL OTHER THAN A STICKY SHIFTER DUE TO SUGAR FROM SPILLED SONIC DRINK.

140000km's and tranny has started to play up. We don't use the overdrive as it stays in overdrive at standstill but only sometimes. The only way to get it out of overdrive is to turn the motor off. We can use it but we have to manually hit the button at about 40km/h rather than wait for kickdown at 15km/h.

99 with 160,000 miles Seems to work just the same as it did 100k + miles ago.

I am hoping the dealer changed, or at least checked the fluid level at some point. I have not. I am thinking about giving up on checking my Motor Oil level as well. (Its always Full, and Clean) why bother ? This Cruiser is making me lazy!

98 with 129k. Fluid swaped at 109k, same time starter contacts went out. Maybe I'll change it again b/f CM07.

1999 UZJ 100 160,000, original transmission. 200 stop weekly distribution route with 1000+lbs inside. No problems.

I think your right. Most good mechanics want to see what the fluid in the pan looks like and they like to drop the pan to look at the filter and the inside of the pan. It is good money for limited work to do the flush and fill.

Most GOOD mechanics know what it looks like inside from the state of the fluid and the change quality and will save you money by not dropping the pan. If they did drop the pan, how much wiser would they and you be and how would you action the knowledge gained, if any?

2000 with 86,000 and original trans. 1st fluid change around 60,000 to Mobil 1.

2000 141,XXX original trans, fluid changed at 120k no problems... have an 80series which required a transmission rebuild at 340,000 miles!!!! $1500 ( fluid changes every 50K), so im not too worried about LC transmissions under good care...

got a 99 LX470, never had the trany touched, 130K
2000 LC, 120K.....never thouched

I don't tow or drag alot of wieght with either.

132k on an 00 and the original tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom