This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with the climate control not working for some time. Going to give the short version, next, after my question. I have done extensive searching and can't find the answer.

My question is, can the AC Climate control module AUTO (part # 55900 60020) be replaced with the manual version (part # 55900 60010), just as a plug and play?

Thanks for all the help, ahead of time.

Purchased the 97 Collectors Edition, used during the summer. I was given the schematic for, and instructions to replace the Air Amplifier assembly, part #88650 60081 and told that was bad (turned out to not be bad). I had the hot air valve turned off under the hood so the hot air wouldn't fill the cabin.

What my climate control is doing, is not functioning. No lights come on and no buttons change anything. It seems stuck in the "vent" setting, where

I'm 99% sure that's a plug and play retrofit for you. Can't see why it wouldn't be.

Thanks Ian, I like your 99% confidence. I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else has thoughts. If I go down that road, I'll post the results.

Is the Collector's Edition Climate control the same as in a LX450?

If so, from looking at the wiring diagrams between a 96 LC non-auto and a 97 LX auto climate, it won't work.

For starters the middle fan speeds on the auto are controlled by a transistor that is switched by the "a/c automatic amplifier" (on top of the "a/c amplifier" and "a/c system amplifier" which are on all systems). This "automatic" amplifier you'd still have, but it won't be getting the fan speed communication from the control unit that it is looking for. on the manual AC fan speeds are controlled by a resistor module and blower speed relay that gets signals directly from the main control unit

I think you could ultimately make it work.. but you'd need a resistor module and a bunch of extra wiring, at the least.

Again, this is all IF the automatic AC you talk about is the same as an LX. Whether or not that is the case I'm not 100% sure on.

There are 2 amplifiers for the auto system. The one next to the drivers right knee behind lower dash can go bad if it gets wet. I forget its part number. Went through this myself this year. The controller is almost impossible to go bad. Its only passive electro parts and some old school transistors. No microchips. All analog. One of the amps went bad

Sent from my iPhone

The other amp is behind the glove box. Which one have you tried already?

Sent from my iPhone

Sounds like it's not the same as the manual unit afterall. Sorry for the bad info.

The HVAC unit is the same, however, between the LC 40th Ann, LC Collectors Edition, LX450, and HDJ81 VX Ltd. models, so you should be able to grab a replacement from any of those sources being parted out.

Thanks all so far. I have tried the amplifier behind glove box. That wasn't it. Also, the dealer told me all switches/ amplifiers/ fuses/ connections were all good, but the control was bad. I am not 100% convinced. I did find an auto climate control for $200, and I'm going for it. I'll post back in a week when I get it in. Thanks for all the help, next, sunroof leak, fun. Oh, and previous owner did after market cat, and there is a leak there. Dealership said $600 to fix the seal, $2000 for a new cat. I'll be learning how to do that I guess. Merry Christmas everyone.

If your sunroof leak is the type that drips down the driver A pillar, you just told us why your climate control died -( moisture wicking into it) - the other box in a LX450 is in the center tunnel above the footwell.

If your carpet is wet in the driver footwell, your box needs to get pulled & inspected, grease the multipin connector too as it might be rusted & corroded.

If you've had heater core issues, that also could be part of what's killing your box in the center tunnel.

^^^its almost definitely the OTHER amp next to drivers right knee. white box. water drips in and corrodes/fries some parts. ask me how i know. i was able to bring mine back to life with some creative soldering.

The LX450 FSM has a detailed trouble shooting guide for the climate control HVAC.
i have downloaded the FSM, and am also having non heat issues w my 97 w climate control. Where is the trouble shooting guide in the FSM for the lx450?

I didn't know you could download the LX450 FSM.

Pages AC12 and AC13.

For example:
Symptom: Whole Functions AC don't operate: #1 fuse. #2 system amplifier. See AC57. No others listed.

Page AC57 describes how to test the amplifier and its associated circuits in detail.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could download the LX450 FSM.

Pages AC12 and AC13.

For example:
Symptom: Whole Functions AC don't operate: #1 fuse. #2 system amplifier. See AC57. No others listed.

Page AC57 describes how to test the amplifier and its associated circuits in detail.
Oh, i have the lexus lx450 pdf i got off of here, but i just glanced through again, and didnt see the hvac system stuff

Thanks Linus, my leak is new to me (probably not new to the car), and I noticed it on passenger floor, also passenger door, near the forward portion of the sun roof. It also was dripping onto the driver's headrest, to the point, it was dripping and splashing onto my neck yesterday. I discovered that while driving, feeling periodic water splashes onto the back of my neck, with a little puddle on my headrest.

I can totally see the water being the root of the heater/ac issue, but hadn't noticed it even existed till yesterday. I'm going to go through and try to clear the drain plugs and see if that takes care of that.

Also, since the new climate control unit is on the way, I'm going to try that, and if that does it, still tackle the leak. If the new unit doesn't fix the heat, I'll go with the other amp. I'm hoping its unrelated, but won't be surprised if this doesn't fix it.

Here is the link to clean drain plugs, to save anyone an extra search if interested:
Cleaning your sunroof drains FAQ

My only issue is, the photos at the beginning aren't linked anymore. Anyone have any photos to share of that whole ordeal?

Also, I am not versed on terminology of pillars, but I am reading into it, is A pillar the supports for the windshield, B pillars between front doors and back doors, then C behind back doors, and so on?

I do not have a FSM, if you couldn't tell, and in general, I can use tools, and give me a part, I can find a way to remove and replace, that's about my extent of mechanics. Thanks for the help, and any additional patience needed to put up with me.

I put the Climate control unit in finally. It did NOT fix it. Previously, the control showed some lights lit up, the new control does now give me ALL the lights functioning, however, none of the buttons/ functions, the fan, temp control, etc, do not work.

I did totally clear out the drains, and seemed like there may have been some gunk in the front ds tube and rear ds tube. I used weed wacker string material and seemed to work pretty well. Poured a bunch of water in the little gutter and watched it pour out all the drain locations. I did have to move the car so it was pointed uphill to get the water out the rear drains.

Next, I am going to remove the system amplifier (part # 88650 60212) the one under steering wheel, near the driver's right foot. Plan on inspecting that one, and see if I can get it cleaned up or see any evidence of rust/ water damage.

So, summary, I have tried the Air Amplifier Assembly (part #88650 60081).
Then, Climate control unit Auto (part #55900 60020)
Pulling system amplifier (part # 88650 60212) to see inspect and replace if necessary.

If anyone has an extra one, I'd be interested, they seem hard to find. I'll update when next step complete.

got my cruiser back last night. Heater Core flush actually cleared out the no heat issue!! The previous owner also had the rear heat bypassed VERY poorly and it was restricting the flow for the rest of the car. So rear heat is still disconnected, but done properly now. Drove it yesterday and this morning to work and ws nice and toasty! We are finally going to get snow over the weekend, so the whole reason I got the car is going to happen. Im pretty excited to get it out in the snow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom