‘97 gas tank replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJP

Threads
Wondering if the cheaper gas tank on Rock Auto “LILAND GLOBAL TOL01 {#7700160380}” is an exact fit for a ‘97 lx450 …. The illustration doesn’t look like it is whereas the twice as expensive ‘Dorman’ shown on the same site seems to be identical to the factory unit … any guidance/advice/comments very welcome. This is my first attempt at the gas tank R&R although I did graft in a full fuel filler neck quite a while ago
Thanks

Wondering if the cheaper gas tank on Rock Auto “LILAND GLOBAL TOL01 {#7700160380}” is an exact fit for a ‘97 lx450 …. The illustration doesn’t look like it is whereas the twice as expensive ‘Dorman’ shown on the same site seems to be identical to the factory unit … any guidance/advice/comments very welcome. This is my first attempt at the gas tank R&R although I did graft in a full fuel filler neck quite a while ago
Thanks
Just buy a new one from Toyota.

Or get a good used one from someone like @slow95z or @arcteryx

1624313273446.png

I don't have any that can go out right now

I have a few tanks and skid plates. but they are not cheap to ship

I wouldn’t by any part for my cruiser from RockAuto. If you a new one is not in the cards source a quality used one as stated above.

Shipping is outrageous right now so be ready. Sometimes it's cheaper to pay the dealer premium once you factor in shipping cost.

thanks folks for your comments .. a quick explanation: I am in Canada ... best price I can find on an OEM tank is $943 Cdn PLUS shipping (from US). The Rock auto (cheap) option is $494 Cdn (shipping included!) with a 3 year warranty. I cant say that warranty means too much though - but I can assure everyone that my experience with the Lexus warranty on OEM replacement parts here in Canada isnt worth the paper its printed on.

As for buying used ... after 24 years in service and given the general weakness of the original tanks at the flex point on the top of the tank (where my current leak is) I think a used tank is a pretty big crap shoot (particularly when you factor in shipping - both ways if its faulty).... also the factory metal used in the original fuel storage system on these vehicles to begin with is not stellar ... where I am, road salt is a problem and in fact destroyed my original fuel filler neck at the support bracket within 5 years from new. Fortunately the replacement seems to be holding so far.

Was hoping someone might have actual hands on experience with the "Liland TOL01" and knows if it is an exact fit etc.

thanks folks for your comments .. a quick explanation: I am in Canada ... best price I can find on an OEM tank is $943 Cdn PLUS shipping (from US). The Rock auto (cheap) option is $494 Cdn (shipping included!) with a 3 year warranty. I cant say that warranty means too much though - but I can assure everyone that my experience with the Lexus warranty on OEM replacement parts here in Canada isnt worth the paper its printed on.

As for buying used ... after 24 years in service and given the general weakness of the original tanks at the flex point on the top of the tank (where my current leak is) I think a used tank is a pretty big crap shoot (particularly when you factor in shipping - both ways if its faulty).... also the factory metal used in the original fuel storage system on these vehicles to begin with is not stellar ... where I am, road salt is a problem and in fact destroyed my original fuel filler neck at the support bracket within 5 years from new. Fortunately the replacement seems to be holding so far.

Was hoping someone might have actual hands on experience with the "Liland TOL01" and knows if it is an exact fit etc.
In cases like this, it is appreciated when folks post their location (even in general) to their signature.
It helps the rest of us know to NOT post unhelpful stuff like used parts from USA into Canada.

Does anyone in Canada carry used parts? Are there areas there that do NOT rust out, perhaps in a different province?

I installed a used tank from a lower mileage LX450 into my 96 and I have had no issues in the last 6 years. Perhaps the donor truck had better maintenance and care than mine did when it was younger.

Can you import from Japan or Partsouq for less money?

Quick update .... I ordered the Rock Auto listed 'Dorman 576754' fuel tank. Waiting for delivery to Canada which will run $116.75 Cdn .. total cost with taxes to me is shown as $951.07 Cdn (approx. $775 USD).
Did you check if partsouq has stock?
Thanks for the suggestion but 'Not available' at Partsouq based on my search for a '97 LX450.

Incidentally Rock Auto also lists two different Liland Global tanks for the '97 Landcruiser ( TOL01 - in stock and a TOL02 - 'out of stock') since they have different images I called the US mfr who suggests that the correct one for my use is the TOL02 ... which is out of stock at the mfr as well fwiw.

I notice there are a few excellent write-ups on the R&R of the tank which I will follow when my new tank is delivered - and thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom