97 Collectors Edt Climate Control Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stance.com
UPDATE 1/22/15** ISSUE RESOLVED FOR NOW. SOLUTION ON PAGE 2

Figured I should start my own thread here regarding the issue I am having vs continuing to hijack old threads.

Little back story. Recently picked up a new to me 97 CE. Upon driving it originally AC worked great as well as heater. Fast forward a week or so and I rolled the car into the local car wash(DIY), spray it down, wash it and away we go. It was getting chilly as we were leaving so I flipped the heat on...blows fine for a second, surges off..then on again. After having that happen I shut it off as I was fearful of having it permanently go wacky...and it did.

I now have no heat, not even from the rear. No air movement whatsoever from the front. Portion of the control unit lights are out, as well as a few radio lights (on the left side). When pressing the buttons for the vent selection I can hear it switching around. AC button is dead as well as the circulate/fresh air button.

I pulled the white control box under the dash on the drivers side, to find it clean, dry and looking normal. Pulled the AC amplifier from behind the glove box on the pass side...again clean, dry, and looking normal. Both the AC, Defog, and Heater fuses looked fine as well. So now what as I am getting stumped and all the reading/searching on here really isn't pointing me to another cause?

I was just reading tonight that the FSM states:
1) fusible link
2) circuit breaker
3) heater relay (square 5 connector)
4) a/c control assembly
5) blower motor
6) blower speed control relay (8 connector)

Regarding the Fusible link...where is it located for the Climate Control?

Any help or insight is appreciated its chilly here in socal as of late (go on flame away haha)!

Cheers!

CS

Last edited:
HVAC on these cars is schizophrenic to say the least.

Did you mess around with the AUTO button?
Is the temp sensor in its place?

HVAC on these cars is schizophrenic to say the least.

Did you mess around with the AUTO button?
Is the temp sensor in its place?

I have messed around with every button on the panel but will play around a little more, Ive got to get the control box back in tonight as it visually looked fine upon inspection. The fan speed buttons clink in and out when pressing but no fan movement/air flow whatsoever from any of them. Rear heater blows air, but never gets warm or even close to hot. Circulation button does nothing as well...feels dead when pressing. It does however have its backlight still functioning :clap: lol.

Defrost and hazard button from above seem to be working fine.

Air temp sensor is located behind the dash on the PASS side correct? Basing of the attached diagram...looking at it now I may not be thinking of the same sensor. Would love to get confirmation there.

Relay Location.jpg

I had the same problem, it ended up being the Stabilizer Computer 88650-60211; it had water ingression from a leaky windshield gasket; I tried cleaning the rust, but it just wasn't working; I got a hold of a new computer on ebay for cheap; plugged it in and voila! all is working now.
The computer is located on top of the accelerator pedal; white color; blue or orange label with the 88650-60211 number on it.

Good luck, after much reading these HVAC systems are really complicated.

-Emerson

Check your climate control. It some times turns on it self. When you turn on the heat, try to shut off auto button. Once I had problem like this and I wasn't aware that my AC will turn on and off itself. Costing me a fortune on gasoline.

Last edited:
Air temp sensor is located behind the dash on the PASS side correct? Basing of the attached diagram...looking at it now I may not be thinking of the same sensor. Would love to get confirmation there.

It's located under the HVAC control module. Looking at it, it's square in shape with horizontal cuts in it.

You could benefit by having an electrical wiring diagram. It seems significant that so many lights are out on the panel, so maybe that would indicate a bad connector or bad ground or common power connection that could explain why it is not working.

The fusible link is near the battery + post. The trouble shooting guide in the FSM lists the potential causes in order of likelihood, so it is best to check them in that order. Don't mess with things far down on the list until you have ruled out the more likely causes.

I had the same problem, it ended up being the Stabilizer Computer 88650-60211; it had water ingression from a leaky windshield gasket; I tried cleaning the rust, but it just wasn't working; I got a hold of a new computer on ebay for cheap; plugged it in and voila! all is working now.
The computer is located on top of the accelerator pedal; white color; blue or orange label with the 88650-60211 number on it.

Good luck, after much reading these HVAC systems are really complicated.

-Emerson

This is where I went to first, however pulled mine and it looks clean as a whistle and dry to boot. See attached photos. Mines a diff part number(one newer i believe).

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 7.04.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 7.04.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 7.04.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 7.04.49 PM.png

It's located under the HVAC control module. Looking at it, it's square in shape with horizontal cuts in it.

I will take a look there. When you say HVAC control module, are you speaking to the white box under the driver side(just under the steering column/right knee of driver)? Photo of mine attached.

I already have the Drivers side module out so I should be able to see it if thats the case.

Thanks and will report back!

CS

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 7.04.22 PM.png

You could benefit by having an electrical wiring diagram. It seems significant that so many lights are out on the panel, so maybe that would indicate a bad connector or bad ground or common power connection that could explain why it is not working.

The fusible link is near the battery + post. The trouble shooting guide in the FSM lists the potential causes in order of likelihood, so it is best to check them in that order. Don't mess with things far down on the list until you have ruled out the more likely causes.

100% agree with you. Don't want to as those types of problems seem to a bit harder to track down and fix, but I am thinking you are right. Going back to that list, as someone so kindly posted it in an old thread, and starting from the top.

If anyone has a link to the wiring diagram send it my way...off to search for this in the mean time.

Appreciate yours and everyone else help/advice!

CS

There is an outside temp sensor behind the front bumper. It is in a black plastic protection cylinder. I only bring it up as the most likely thing to get water into a harness or something, and I've read that the whole system can go pretty sideways if things aren't happy with it.

The inside temp sensor is is where someone else mentioned, to the left of the temp slider on the control panel is a small area of slots. The sensor is behind that. If you pull the panel out there will be a corrugated hose that runs from the drivers foot vent to the back of that temp sensor.. The tube serves as a venturi to draw cabin air over the sensor in the panel.

What worries me most is your mention of radio lights being out. This points to something more significant than just a temp sensor/AC problem. I'd be checking closely for water on the floor board, fuse block, fusible links, etc.

And get a wiring diagram. I think an LX450 EWD will be mostly identical.. I got mine for $35 on eBay.

There is an outside temp sensor behind the front bumper. It is in a black plastic protection cylinder. I only bring it up as the most likely thing to get water into a harness or something, and I've read that the whole system can go pretty sideways if things aren't happy with it.

The inside temp sensor is is where someone else mentioned, to the left of the temp slider on the control panel is a small area of slots. The sensor is behind that. If you pull the panel out there will be a corrugated hose that runs from the drivers foot vent to the back of that temp sensor.. The tube serves as a venturi to draw cabin air over the sensor in the panel.

What worries me most is your mention of radio lights being out. This points to something more significant than just a temp sensor/AC problem. I'd be checking closely for water on the floor board, fuse block, fusible links, etc.

And get a wiring diagram. I think an LX450 EWD will be mostly identical.. I got mine for $35 on eBay.

I just downloaded the one off MUD for the 96. I saw a few on Ebay as well just now for the same price. Will probably end up snagging one of those.

Yea thats my worry as well...I will dig around for signs of water inside. So far nothing, however here in Socal we are coming off a week straight of pretty heavy rain along with the fact that I was blasting the car with a pressure washer prior to things going sideways. All signs point to water being the issue so far.

I will look into that front outside temp sensor as it sounds like an easy one to rule in or out.

Appreciate ya @bloc !

That's the one.. though thinking about it more I'm not sure how it'd make the lights go out on your CC and stereo..

Maybe also look at EA4 and EA1/2/3 connectors, which are under the hood.
EA4 is roughly under the inlet to the air cleaner.. oil pressure signal, telephone, outside AC Temp sensor, auto antenna, windshield washer motor, and the stereo Amp all have wires running through here. It is fully waterproofed but if you went to town on it with a power washer I could see it maybe leaking some?
EA1, 2, and 3 are harder to get to.. in the DS fender behind the fuse block there.. mostly hidden from power washing.. but this is effectively the "main hub" of power transmission from the fuse block/battery to the body harness. Getting to them probably requires removal of the charcoal canister, fuse block and brackets, and even then it will be a real bear to get apart.. I'd give EA4 a look first.

I will take a look there. When you say HVAC control module, are you speaking to the white box under the driver side(just under the steering column/right knee of driver)? Photo of mine attached.

I already have the Drivers side module out so I should be able to see it if thats the case.

Thanks and will report back!

CS

No, I;m talking about the actual buttons, next to the radio. The entire faceplate comes out. There should be sensor behind it.

No, I;m talking about the actual buttons, next to the radio. The entire faceplate comes out. There should be sensor behind it.

Roger that. Going to look into that and the wiring as stated above by @bloc. I crawled under and looked at the outside temp sensor and did find a cut in the shielding as well as a cut into the green wire...think that would cause a short to the dash?

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 9.30.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 9.30.40 PM.png

That's the one.. though thinking about it more I'm not sure how it'd make the lights go out on your CC and stereo..

Maybe also look at EA4 and EA1/2/3 connectors, which are under the hood.
EA4 is roughly under the inlet to the air cleaner.. oil pressure signal, telephone, outside AC Temp sensor, auto antenna, windshield washer motor, and the stereo Amp all have wires running through here. It is fully waterproofed but if you went to town on it with a power washer I could see it maybe leaking some?
EA1, 2, and 3 are harder to get to.. in the DS fender behind the fuse block there.. mostly hidden from power washing.. but this is effectively the "main hub" of power transmission from the fuse block/battery to the body harness. Getting to them probably requires removal of the charcoal canister, fuse block and brackets, and even then it will be a real bear to get apart.. I'd give EA4 a look first.

Appreciate the detailed directions, looking at these saturday AM. Much appreciated!

I can only speculate on the outside temperature sensor and its function. I really think it has nothing to do with the cabin interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom