Builds 97 80 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built and wheeled my last LX450 with 88k on the odometer and garaged it's entire life. I sold it (HUGE regret) with right around 100k. Paint was perfect; well....... until I took it wheelin. I got grief on this forum and on the trail regularly but I didn't care. It was a beautiful rig inside and out and deserved to be wheeled and not just sitting in parking lots. Here is how it looked when I sold it a couple years back. This is a link to the old for sale thread. Hopefully nobody sees this and still thinks it's for sale. It's long gone.
For Sale - Built 97 LX450 with 100k original miles

That thing is beautiful! I wish mine was garage kept, I'm bringing it back to its former glory, but it's not going to be cheap....

Holy Cannoli!

That thing is (was) beautiful and then you tear it apart!

I get it. Just giving you a hard time. That HAD to be someone you knew to be able to find that or you were stalking them until they died.......

Holy Cannoli!

That thing is (was) beautiful and then you tear it apart!

I get it. Just giving you a hard time. That HAD to be someone you knew to be able to find that or you were stalking them until they died.......

Not as clean as the pics make it look, whoever did the touchup paint work used single stage paint, so it looks thick and pasty instead of glassy..... also did a horrible tape job, got overspray on almost all the rubber moulding..... when I am done this thing will be pristine, which is what an 85k mile 80 deserves to be! Almost ready to head to the body shop, I'll have updated pics the first of the week

A few pics, need to finish stripping the engine bay, and get my glass guy out to the shop to hopefully remove all the glass without breaking it, then it will be off to the body shop!!!!

QQXyAfDuTxiceO%NZcnxuw.jpg

Svxe6amFSym7IcMxQ7b2HA.jpg

kh1IyaCUT12QAXyBfCxjMg.jpg

4AVzSLSCReKeqxKoBOO%AQ.jpg

EdTLfcS8QoWt2e0i720UFQ.jpg

Maybe I missed it reading through, but what color are you going to repaint it?

Maybe I missed it reading through, but what color are you going to repaint it?

So I haven't decided, I really loved the color of my anniversary edition I restored about 10 years ago in the pic below, and I also really like the jeep color anvil in the random pick I found below.... I'm hesitant to do the anniversary color only because I sold that 80 to a friend of mine who has kept it extremely clean and if he ever decides to sell I have first dibs, not sure I want 2 the same color... any input?

2014-jeep-rubicon-for-sale-anvil-driver-side_1.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG

I like the Blue. Unique and different, but still subtle

Try the Sherman Williams App on a Ipad device. it allows you to take a picture and outline what area will be colored, then you can fill that area with any color and it keeps the rest of the image normal. I never used it for a car, but after using it for a few home remodels I think it should work for a truck

I like the Blue. Unique and different, but still subtle

Try the Sherman Williams App on a Ipad device. it allows you to take a picture and outline what area will be colored, then you can fill that area with any color and it keeps the rest of the image normal. I never used it for a car, but after using it for a few home remodels I think it should work for a truck

I'll check it out, I've been leaning towards the blue, it actually looks more grey/blue in person its almost like the moon glow color, just a bit darker

Anyone have any pics of inside of the doors and door jams of an 80 thats not black, trying to get an idea of where the jam changes from body color to black trim

Anyone have any experience with bump it off road rear bumpers? I love the slee rear bumper, but would really like something with a bike rack and tire carrier, bior looks very similar to slee but has options, any input would be great!

Anyone have any pics of inside of the doors and door jams of an 80 thats not black, trying to get an idea of where the jam changes from body color to black trim

The attached pics are just some I had on my computer at work, and one from Google, but they do show some of the cutoffs.

I like the Anvil color, but I am partial to it because I have an 80 painted a similar color. The 40th Ann. color is nice, but not as unique on an 80.

C-pillar:
IMAG0447.jpg

B-pillar:
20160529_143827.jpg

Top of front door pic from elsewhere on MUD: **EDIT** I just realized the following pic is of a 100 series, but I can't think of a reason that the 80 would be much different.
image-jpeg.1252672

Last edited:
Here's a better pic for the cutoffs. Also stolen from Mud via the Google.
shanetruckmay6-jpg.632760

Off to the body shop today, the body shop will pull all the doors, hood, fenders, and roof rack to paint behind everything, then reassemble for the outside paint!

y3AeZxAgTD+WYcJmIT0OEg.jpg

6WvC6vSkQyWJCnvJ4+08CA.jpg

aXBhmgilTMeQQDhSEaX9XQ.jpg

Q0fLYGfyTy+V4vXEG1R6tQ.jpg

5fB+eM0RQDWjs8dnVNtwQQ.jpg

While it is at the body shop have them fill the roof rack holes and get a better aftermarket rack.

While it is at the body shop have them fill the roof rack holes and get a better aftermarket rack.

Good idea! Not sure why I wasn't thinking of this, but anyone have any recommendations on a rack they like? Needs to be strong enough for a RTT

@Briano meet @NLXTACY. I think it's only appropriate to introduce you to the man who'll be taking up residency in your wallet as you approach the reassembly stage.

So I haven't decided, I really loved the color of my anniversary edition I restored about 10 years ago in the pic below, and I also really like the jeep color anvil in the random pick I found below.... I'm hesitant to do the anniversary color only because I sold that 80 to a friend of mine who has kept it extremely clean and if he ever decides to sell I have first dibs, not sure I want 2 the same color... any input?

View attachment 1605420

View attachment 1605427
Have you considered Toyota Quicksand? But run blacked out flares with the Collectors Edition belt molding, along with blacked out front and rear bumpers, and roof rack.
o6togea1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom