94' vs. 95' LC Accessory compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I recently bought a 95' LC. I was searching the web and really like the "TOYOTA" front grill from 94' and older LC's. My LC also does not have the factory roof rack or sliders. I found a LC that is getting parted out and was wondering if the 94' sliders, roof rack, and front grill are all compatible with my 95'?

Thanks!!

The front grille should be.

The roof rack might be possible to retrofit but most people think they detract from the value and they cause leaks and rust.

Not sure what sliders are. Are you talking about the rear windows or protection from rocks where the running boards might be?

Oops! I meant running boards, thanks for the clarification.

And thanks for the info about the roof rack, I was unaware of that issue. I guess it would be best to get after market ones?

Grill can be swapped but it takes son creative fiddling around. Not a direct fit. Roof rack would involve dropping headliner to mint nuts

Oops! I meant running boards, thanks for the clarification.

And thanks for the info about the roof rack, I was unaware of that issue. I guess it would be best to get after market ones?

The simplest option that I am aware of for a roof rack is just to get a set of Yakima 1A Rain gutter towers and the length of bars that meet your needs.

Most people also remove the running boards and get front mudflaps or install actual sliders. If your truck doesn't have them, consider yourself lucky. Your truck sounds like it might have been a model with fewer options, which actually increases the value for most owners now.

Grill can be swapped but it takes son creative fiddling around. Not a direct fit. Roof rack would involve dropping headliner to mint nuts

You might be able to use the plus nuts that Yakima uses for tracking vehicles without needing to drop the headliner, but that still involves drilling holes in the roof. If I were going that route, I would just use the Yakima tracks and get their towers for them and then you would be able to use most of the accessories available. The factory roof racks are pretty much pointless for anything beyond hauling a Christmas tree home.

The Yakima tracks are exactly what I am looking for, nice and simple. Thanks Red!

Also, yes my LC has very few options, no front or rear factory lockers. It does have mud flaps on the rear, but not on the front. That is something I will be looking into, as I am on a budget right now :(

Very interesting that it increases in value with less options (i'm assuming beside the front and rear lockers)... is that b/c most people want to build a rig of their own instead of having to take off / replace parts?

The Yakima tracks are exactly what I am looking for, nice and simple. Thanks Red!

Also, yes my LC has very few options, no front or rear factory lockers. It does have mud flaps on the rear, but not on the front. That is something I will be looking into, as I am on a budget right now :(

Very interesting that it increases in value with less options (i'm assuming beside the front and rear lockers)... is that b/c most people want to build a rig of their own instead of having to take off / replace parts?

The lockers are the most sought after option. Most of the other ones like power leather seats either break or wear out and are very expensive or a PITA to fix. Some people call the low option cruisers "poverty package". I think there are some very specific rules for that, but if you have cloth, manual adjust seats, no sunroof, no rear sliding windows, no running boards, and roof rack, you are in better shape than someone who has all of that stuff.

Last edited:
Virtually every 80 series with a factory roof rack has rust where the rack went through the roof. Even California rigs. My 93 had some minor rusting there when I removed it.

Running boards: There is usually someone begging people to pick them up and haul them away because they took them off and they are sitting next to their garage.

Be thankful you had neither. My 92 didn't have either and I'm thankful I couldn't afford them when I ordered it new.

I'd sooner hunt your local CL & wait for some gutter mount Thule or Yakima crossbars to pop up.

You take the standard gutter mount feet style (oldest style either brand makes, no fancy 'fit kit feet' needed), and the standard height bar clears the center of the roof fine, even with the hardware the attachments take pointed downward.

I can only expect Delaware is as wet as WA - so intentionally drilling holes in the roof to mount the factory rack that is more decorative than functional isn't money or time well spent, really.

The load rating & safety factor of gutter mounted racks is far greater than the luggage rack Toyota installed, so there is no downside to your 80 being lucky enough to have escaped port installed accessories.

Sliders ::should:: work, but depends on the manufacturer as they might take a light mod to your 80 to install, IDK what you have.

Grill should be a boltup.

Thanks for the info fellas. I think i'm going to search CL for a gutter mount and crossbars like you said LINUS, as that will be the best thing to do in my price range. And I will just do the grill for now.

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom