Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it a waste of money to send in a Blackstone oil sample for a 500 mile new short block? It seems like it would be to me.

I am at the alignment shop now. It took 30 minutes to get here from my home of horrors. I drove various speeds and hit various highway speeds without issue. She drove well but needs an alignment badly.

I think I’ll break in the engine and swap the oil. Drive it a little more and put her up for sale.

Not sure what I’ll ask. She needs some interior work and some exterior work to get her tight, neat, and wrinkle-free. Maybe new seats and door cards. I have new carpet.

Lots to think about.

Which gets me thinking about the 40th. Depending on where I move my family, that 40th MIGHT become the farm cruiser. Meant for hauling a small trailer. OR restore her to her OG glory.
Or build her like an off-road monster.

Is it a waste of money to send in a Blackstone oil sample for a 500 mile new short block? It seems like it would be to me.

I am at the alignment shop now. It took 30 minutes to get here from my home of horrors. I drove various speeds and hit various highway speeds without issue. She drove well but needs an alignment badly.

I think I’ll break in the engine and swap the oil. Drive it a little more and put her up for sale.

Not sure what I’ll ask. She needs some interior work and some exterior work to get her tight, neat, and wrinkle-free. Maybe new seats and door cards. I have new carpet.

Lots to think about.

Which gets me thinking about the 40th. Depending on where I move my family, that 40th MIGHT become the farm cruiser. Meant for hauling a small trailer. OR restore her to her OG glory.
Or build her like an off-road monster.
I vote for off road monster for the 40th.

Not sure there's a lot of point sending the first oil change to Blackstone. Second one, sure (looking for problems like coolant or excessive hydrocarbons, etc). Contamination could have happened during the build and wouldn't tell you much on the first change.

I vote for off road monster for the 40th.

Not sure there's a lot of point sending the first oil change to Blackstone. Second one, sure (looking for problems like coolant or excessive hydrocarbons, etc). Contamination could have happened during the build and wouldn't tell you much on the first change.

+1 off road monster. Got it.

Contamination?
Gross.

Fixable I assume. There isn’t coolant in this bitch.

At least not in the oil.

Geez, Pell sorry for all your troubles!!
Them dam contractors can be the worst, I hope things smooth out for you !!

Strip the interior out and the 80
hauls like a small pickup. I haul all kinds of large/heavy crap in mine and it handles it like a champ.

There are going to be enough contaminants in the oil on the new engine from break in oil, from assembly lube, from the initial breakdown of the metal on the cylinder walls, and the rings as they mate together, that initial oil analysis is going to be useless. when we build engines here we tend to fire them up get them up to temp, cycle them, shut them down and drain the oil. We then refill them and run them for 250 mi drain The oil put on a new filter and then run them as normal, I would send in an oil analysis on the first oil change at your normal interval but not before that

Last edited:
Geez, Pell sorry for all your troubles!!
Them dam contractors can be the worst, I hope things smooth out for you !!
Thanks, Rich. It’s been a lot of stress but it’s first-world issues. Amiright?

There are going to be enough contaminants in the oil on the new engine from break in oil, from assembly lube, from the initial breakdown of the metal on the cylinder walls, and the rings as they mate together, that initial oil analysis is going to be useless. when we build engines here we tend to fire them up get them up to temp, cycle them, shut them down and drain the oil. We then refill them and run them for 250 mi drain The oil put on a new filter and then run them as normal, I would send in an oil analysis on the first oil change at your normal interval but not before that
That’s what I figured. I have about 330 on the engine now. I’ll drain her and fill this weekend. Thanks, Dusten!

Another oil change completed. She runs well. I love driving her.

Her left and right, aft passenger door flares are ****ed somehow. They are not seating and it appears the brackets at the bottom are compromised. I’m glad they didn’t fly off when I was driving.

So, what say you, to flare or not to flare?

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2662 Copy.jpeg

Another oil change completed. She runs well. I love driving her.

Her left and right, aft passenger door flares are f***ed somehow. They are not seating and it appears the brackets at the bottom are compromised. I’m glad they didn’t fly off when I was driving.

So, what say you, to flare or not to flare?

View attachment 3525378
View attachment 3525380
I actually like the flares, but at this stage in the game, it makes more and more sense to deflare.

I would have said to deflare but that should have been done before the paint job.
And that's based on running trails, but I think your truck is way to nice to be hitting any trails that would potentially tearing them off.
Your truck looks really good with the flares, and I think that your bumpers were designed around them.
I say keep them, there's got to be a way to make them work !
Not a big fan of of just plugging the hole like in the first picture especially after what you have invested in your truck !!
Somebody has to have a good set of flares out there.

Obviously flares can be another source of frustration. Why even deal with it when you can easily eliminate this frustration forever by de-flaring now. There are more important things in life to put time and energy into than the flare debate. To me the 80 is that off road monster you aspire to turn your 40th into not a show and shine type of car. On my third 80 now and all three sets of flares were removed and sold before I had the chance to smash them which doesn’t take much because they are so fragile.

Obviously flares can be another source of frustration. Why even deal with it when you can easily eliminate this frustration forever by de-flaring now. There are more important things in life to put time and energy into than the flare debate. To me the 80 is that off road monster you aspire to turn your 40th into not a show and shine type of car. On my third 80 now and all three sets of flares were removed and sold before I had the chance to smash them which doesn’t take much because they are so fragile.
80s are different thing to different people, obviously there show cars to some and that's fine!!
If I could I would have one really clean one ( show car ) and my beater ;)

Last edited:
80s are different thing to different people, obviously there show cars to some and that fine!!
If I could I would have one really clean one ( show car ) and my beater ;)
I have no use for a “clean” 4x4 vehicle. If I wanted such a vehicle as a hobby/pride and joy sort of car I’d have something that sounds badass and does 0-60 in much less time. Now you’ve got me thinking……

To flare or Not to flare... it's like lingerie on wide bottom girl, you wanna take em off because it's not gonna affect the ride but damn it just adds something to it.

Exhaust all efforts, 3m double sided tape even...then say f' it, rip em off fill the holes (pardon the pun), paint and go.

I have no use for a “clean” 4x4 vehicle. If I wanted such a vehicle as a hobby/pride and joy sort of car I’d have something that sounds badass and does 0-60 in much less time. Now you’ve got me thinking……
Easy LS swapped 80

Last edited:
Given the investment made in the paint job, I'm not sure this thing is destined to be an off road monster. and given that I agree with @Dusten above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom