94 FJ80 wont start, click, crank, no lights, nothing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read through a lot of the posts on this subject on here, but none of the systems seem to match my problem.

Truck has always started first try. Put a brand new battery in last week just to be safe. Truck started right up and ran fine all week.

This week the only thing i did was install LAndTank seat extension. nothing else. After install, truck would not start, not even a click. It seemed as though the battery was dead. No dash warning lights, no headlights, nothing works.

Jumped it with my escalade, still nothing.

Replaced with with new battery, nothing.

Hit the terminals with mallet (mostly out of anger) and the dash warning lights would light up at ACC once and then go out again after turning to start, but still wouldnt even click/start.

Before i have thing towed, any ideas what i could check?

Fusible links, Especially if you shorted out the battery with terminals still connected. Then do a search in FAQ for emergency start procedure.

Likely it is a corroded battery terminal. I've had two vehicles do exactly this.

Under the driver's seat in the 95-97 are a couple connectors. One is factory alarm, I forget what the other is. If these aren't connected you'll get that symptom. At least, I did. Not sure if it's the same in 94.

My money is on the fusible links as well. Awfully suspect after replacing a battery. Old brittle fusible links don't like to be manhandled.

My money is on the alarm box under the driver's seat.

The other thing it could be is a sticky starter. Give the starter a few good taps with a hammer. Try to start it. If this is the problem you have a weak battery, a weak starter, or both.

Edit: sorry, this won't cause "no lights, no nothing" symptoms. Carry-on.

The other thing it could be is a sticky starter. Give the starter a few good taps with a hammer. Try to start it. If this is the problem you have a weak battery, a weak starter, or both.

it can't be the starter because he has no power anywhere. If it were the starter he would have headlights, fan etc running off the battery.

He could always have a faulty starter AND this, but his symptoms nowhere does it point to a faulty or sticky starter.

Yeah, maybe I was editing at the same time you were posting. I had missed the "no power..." Thing.

If you put in the seat extensions you might have unplugged the box under the driver side seat....this must be plugged in or your car won't click, turn over or anything. When I would turn my key the clock would come on and flicker and that was it. I plugged it back in and boom!

Thank you guys for all the help.. Checked the alarm box and it was all connected. I was hoping that was it as it made the most sense after the seat install, i might have knocked it loose. Changed out the fusible link, which was mickey moused by the previous owner. Scratching my head and getting angry...

I whacked the battery terminals... and noticed a spark on the negative side. Something was loose... tightened up the terminal connectors and bam. I changed out the terminals the prior week when installing the new battery, and must not have tightened the new terminal connector on good.

ITs always the simplest thing... THanks for your help guys...

I would check under the seats, and see if something there came unplugged or if something is shorting out. Keep it simple... start with going over your work that was done just prior to problem starting. And...... QUIT hitting s***. You'll end up with more problems..... hit your garage wall instead! (That's why mine has holes all over it!) Good Luck!

I should clarify, i got the truck started, and everything working as it should after tightening the terminal connector.

Glad to hear! Enjoy!

Those doing maintenance, even so called professionals, cause at least 50% of the problems we experience. I have come to this realization after 30 years of turning wrenches for the USAF, united Airlines and my own hobby activities. Most of our cruisers ran flawlessly for many years after leaving the factory and then we got involved. I never underestimate my ability to screw up a simple operation.

Those doing maintenance, even so called professionals, cause at least 50% of the problems we experience. I have come to this realization after 30 years of turning wrenches for the USAF, united Airlines and my own hobby activities. Most of our cruisers ran flawlessly for many years after leaving the factory and then we got involved. I never underestimate my ability to screw up a simple operation.

Yup! "I break stuff".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom