'91 HDJ81 heater core (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heater core TU (tango uniform) and having trouble finding the core. Will heater cores from non-japanese 80's
work in HDJ81?
Any help on finding a heater core or info on an alternative solution would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich Boyle

I'm thinking this will be a RHD specific part, try contacting G&S Cruiser Parts to see if they have anything they're wrecking that would have one for you:

G&S Cruiser Parts

The aftermarket cores come without tubes on them. If you can reuse your existing lead-in pipes I'd think you should be able to use a standard aftermarket. Having just torn apart the dash of a factory LHD and being the owner of a RHD converted to LHD I'm virtually certain the tubes will be reversed in your RHD truck. Here are photos of a LHD core just kindly provided by fellow mudder Luke M for the factory LHD my son and I are working on. I include it here because I found it difficult to find reference photos. This is from an earlyish 80:

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.18.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 9.27.09 AM.png

One other thing: IMHO the tube outlets going past the firewall into the engine bay should be about an inch and a half longer to make it easier to put the heater hoses on. I found a shop in Maryland that still does real radiator work and they are going to pressure test, clean, straighten and extend or replace the tubes for me. My son bore the brunt of the climbing on top of the engine fooling with the hoses (age does have its benefits from time to time) but we both feel strongly about the benefit of extending the tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom