88 62 sitting for 7+ years hasnt been started (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy stopped me in parking lot saw my truck said he had one in his driveway nearby so i went to look at it.
Body of the truck is in decent shape 132k on the clock.frame has mostly surface rust. its been sitting hasn't been started in years apparently. He did old man emu rear suspension on it. typical rust for New England but not too bad it could be brought back . How are the auto trannys on these? i'm assuming they're pretty solid but obviously depends on how it was treated.
I know nothing about this engine mine is a 83 with 2F in it. Hes asking 2K for the thing.
needs tires right off the bat. interior is not too bad hasn't been started. any thoughts?

pics and we'll let you know..

Yep... $2k is fair. You're going to have to go through and change most seals, so some work will be involved. Trans should be good still. Ask why it was parked to make sure there wasn't some catastrophic engine failure. All in all, you might have found yourself a gem. Good luck.

Don't even crank it until you put ATF in the cylinders. Being EFI, a gas tank full of water and crud (after 7+ years) would be an evil thing to put through your fuel system, too. Assume the worst across the board. If it's non-running, I'd try to pay less than $1500.

There's another thread here on a guy who is rehabbing a 'parked for 10 years' FJ62. You have a lot to do before you crank over the engine!

Need to find out the whole story. 2K for a parts truck means a lot of work packing and selling and shipping before you can first make back that $2k and then some money. If the engine is toast, I wouldn't go over $500.

Don't even crank it until you put ATF in the cylinders. Being EFI, a gas tank full of water and crud (after 7+ years) would be an evil thing to put through your fuel system, too. Assume the worst across the board. If it's non-running, I'd try to pay less than $1500.

There's another thread here on a guy who is rehabbing a 'parked for 10 years' FJ62. You have a lot to do before you crank over the engine!

I searched for the thread today, and could not find it, but the gas tank was massively full of rust and the fuel pump and pickup sock were in tatters - there was a photo of that.

On a truck parked for 10 years, I would pull the fuel system fuse and concentrate on seeing if the engine can build oil pressure (when cranking with the starter) and has decent compression (and doesn't make odd sounds when cranking). If those e things are true, then drop the gas tank and see what's going on there. After cleaning up any issues there, and installing a new fuel filter, then try to start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom