87 ext cab 4x4#Diesel swap#Custom turbo build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so theres a few chicken s*** welds on the inside of the frame. My visibility was killing me. Ha! excuses, excuses , excuses!

Now I have My crank case road tube air breather going straight into the frame. lol. That should slow the rust down:)

I have recently swapped a fuel pin from a volkwagon jetta fuel pump into my 2l NA injection pump top end. It has a variable curve to its fuel pin and the diaphragm to go with it. Now totally adjustible star nut inside the top of the IP pump. Also the volks IP pump had an external fuel pin adjuster for I believe or was told as the "smoke screw". So if you want a bunch of fuel/smoke at low rmps. I don't think i will mess with that adjustment. I now have my pyrometer installed and now i can finally see what this thing can do.

My current setup. I thought I was running a boost compensator but I didn't have the proper top end on my injection pump so the boost was just escaping from the air breather. I always heard this whistle from under my hood but never found where it came from. Duh!

Well All I have left to do is swap the new topend of the IP pump on my truck and adjust as needed. The volkwagen fuel pin looks exactly like a fuel pin out of a 5.9 dodge cummings. It has variable angles for adjustment. This is going to be sick!

I will post pics tomorrow

The two top ends of the volks turbo IP pump and the yota NA pump. I switched the vacuum operated boost diaphragm, fuel pin and sleeve into the yota top end, now on the right side of picture. The toyota just had a altitude compensator which is now just sitting on top of the old volks IP pump.

3rd and 4th picture are the yota fuel pin and sleeve which are no longer used.

DSC04072.JPG

DSC04074.JPG

DSC04076.JPG

DSC04078.JPG

I didn't want to take it apart again to take pictures because its kinda a pain in the ass. The new setup has a longer fuel pin and sleeve which had to be taken out of the volks pump and installed into the yota IP aswell as the fuel pin, star washer, ratchet collar, diaphragm and top lid. The lid has a nice banjo fitting for the boost line.

Bottom picture is the fuel pin and sleeve I had to remove from the yota IP in order to install the new one. (not shown)

DSC04080.JPG

DSC04081.JPG

Here's a link to my video of me starting my truck after all the fuel mods i did. Also... I didn't run that good at first.

Then after a few turns of the fuel screw it ran away on me for about 7-10 seconds but I was prepared. I choked it out with a piece of plywood.

Soooo.... I backed off the fuel screw and got it at a high idle. I turned the idle down and went for a test drive. Way quicker responce and nmid end power. Added about 10 more horse power. Tomorrow I will turn up the smoke screw to get more bottom end power.

***ENEH BOYS!

The link

I wish i was filming for the RUNAWAY. Its kinda scary.

And heres a better comparison to each fuel pin. yota on the left and volks TD on the right with diaphragm.

DSC04082.JPG

I had to change the sleeve for the boost comp pin. It is 1mm bigger. I spend a day driving around clocking the diaphragm to find its sweet spot. Now I am achieving 18 psi max with no smoke. Time to adjust the smoke screw to deliver more bottom end. Max egt's are 800f.

I had to change the sleeve for the boost comp pin. It is 1mm bigger. I spend a day driving around clocking the diaphragm to find its sweet spot. Now I am achieving 18 psi max with no smoke. Time to adjust the smoke screw to deliver more bottom end. Max egt's are 800f.

Nice tuning work. Sounds like it's coming along. Any guess at all on horsepower at this point? Not sure if I'd have the stones to go any further.

Eric

Well im not going for more boost but I need more bottom end power.

Good result.

Sounds like it was relatively straightforward?
Would the whole top part of the VW pump swap over? Wondering if it could be a good option for a pump without the altitude compensator .

So today I did some more testing. I turned the smoke screw in a quarter turn, nothing. A half turn, still nothing. Fine I said "fxxx I'll do a full turn". Still nothing. WTF right? SO then I turned another turn. Two in all. Now she goes!!!!!

I think my truck is where I want it to be for power. Max egts 850, max boost 18 psi. Does 120 km's /h. Im guessing around 20 horse power I've added with turbo and IP upgrades. maybe even 25. I can actually pass people now. WAHOO!!!

It just started to smoke a little bit under load and or hard accelerating. So I think its perfect!

Good result.

Sounds like it was relatively straightforward?
Would the whole top part of the VW pump swap over? Wondering if it could be a good option for a pump without the altitude compensator .

A good option far what? The whole top end would bolt up. Different throttle linkage and theres slight differences in the connection between the lower and upper. Spring vs spring and shaft combo. I don't know the name of this part?

SO stoked on this setup right now. I just want to go drive all night. Maybe some lights on my egt/turbo/oil pressure gauges will be on this list now.

My glorified wheel barrow. She's been running like a top. She doesn't have a whole lot of bottom end power but good enough for this little pea shooter.

DSC04166.JPG

I think I will have to dig up the ol tube bender for this one. I bought a 6500 warn, used but a gooder. I had to rethink my bumper mounting because the bolts to stock mounting wasn't going to cut it.

DSC04571.JPG

DSC04573.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04575.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom