'86 vs '87 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me how useful an '86 4runner would be as a parts truck for an '87 4runner that I have? Or, feel free to point me to a preexisting thread on the topic, if one exists. Thanks in advance.

You talkin body? mechanical? electric bits?

If it's the same base model, you should be Ok. You start getting trucks with different engines, drive trains and trim levels you may have some bits and pieces that may not be interchangeable:meh:

Last edited:
Body and mechanical mostly. I figure I am okay to purchase and '86, just want to be sure im not missing something.

In a nut shell ... the trucks are mostly identical. About the only cosmetic difference is the grill. Both should have 22RE engines and W56 trannies. the engine electronics will have some differences, but will interchange (ECU comes to mind).

There was a change in the shape of the dash pad and gauge bezel in the mid-86 model. The earlier one is more angular, has a long "tray" formed into the pad. The later one is more rounded, the tray is short, only about a foot long or so. The bezel profile where it meets the pad is different, so they can't be interchanged.

84 threw 88 dash is the same.89 is when they rounded them off, frames the same 84 threw 85, 86 threw 88. Ive move dash's and just about every part you can in fourrruners and pickups standard and extracab.The turbos and v6 models wire looms change so so you can expect parts changes.

84 threw 88 dash is the same.

No they are different, but the difference is minor. See above. Trust me, they are, I have both in my parts stash. You can't put a pre-86 gauge bezel on the later dash pad, they won't match.

84 threw 88 dash is the same.89 is when they rounded them off, frames the same 84 threw 85, 86 threw 88. Ive move dash's and just about every part you can in fourrruners and pickups standard and extracab.The turbos and v6 models wire looms change so so you can expect parts changes.
I thought this too. I have several gauge clusters and I thought several were 1987. They all bolted into my 1985.

Here's a dash pad and bezel out of my old '84 that I parted out:

DSC_0475.JPG

Joint where they connect:
DSC_0476.JPG

This is from an '87, note the rounded bezel, different "tray" in the dash pad:
DSC_0466.JPG

Joint is different, they will not match:
DSC_0467.JPG

Also note the far right vent is different, they will not interchange.

I used the '87 pad and bezel in my restore, still have the '84 parts if anybody is interested, no cracks, very good condition.

wow never seen the rounded pad, my 85 forrunner and 86 extracab both have the squared off one in the first pic, I don't remember what my 84 standard cab had as the ripped it off in 91. But i stand correct you indeed have a pad that is rounded off by design. now i will have to look at whats in the garage in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom