80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't want to derail the thread on the first post but my canoe is in Sweden and my 80 is in Florida. This meets half the criteria...:D
My XJ was nice and in the family for 15 years until last year when the wife decided it had to go.

View attachment 1515335

Your wife is smart!

They are good! Super stable, you can put a little motor on them and if I recall correctly, they are still pretty light. Not a great hull for paddling if you want to cover distance, but if you want to seriously fish, they are a great choice.

Yep. We put a 40lb thrust trolling motor on it. It is a fishing canoe. Both of us can stand in it and not fall over.

Here's a picture of my 80 with my 16' Old Town Family Camper canoe on top. It's very stable and pretty light ( about 65 lbs) so it's easy to load and carry. (I had bow and stern lines on there, I don't know why they don't show up in the picture)

EuiUQIih.jpg

Pro tip as a guy that used to work at an outfitter in the BWCA and at the world's largest canoe and kayak shop, centering the canoe on the rack is better than centering it on the rig as you have it. The stern will hang off further, but just tie a red rag to the stern handle and center it on the rack.

I have roped thousands of boats on thousands of cars and I have never lost one.

Yours is probably OK since you have that NRS strap as a second belly strap, but the way you have it could lend itself to problems.

I've always wondered about this myself since I center it on the length of the truck so when I'm going up trails a bunch of canoe isn't hanging off the back (17' Mad River). With the large front overhang the front straps are key for highways speeds.

This photo is at Diamond Lake, OR. The canoe is strapped down (black straps) and then the stand up paddle board is strapped to the canoe (blue straps). The front and rear of the canoe have red ratchet straps so I can fine tune the tension. This was about 200 miles round trip.

Yakima racks held fine but flex around more than i'd like if I were to do a really long haul.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.23.13 AM.png

I've always wondered about this myself since I center it on the length of the truck so when I'm going up trails a bunch of canoe isn't hanging off the back (17' Mad River). With the large front overhang the front straps are key for highways speeds.

This photo is at Diamond Lake, OR. The canoe is strapped down (black straps) and then the stand up paddle board is strapped to the canoe (blue straps). The front and rear of the canoe have red ratchet straps so I can fine tune the tension. This was about 200 miles round trip.

Yakima racks held fine but flex around more than i'd like if I were to do a really long haul.

View attachment 1515964
I would center the boat on the rack. The way you have it, the boat could twist in high winds or at interstate speeds which could cause it to come loose or worse yet, rip apart and wind up in the windshield of the guy behind you.

Soon....

Just finished the rack for my rack that gets the boat over the lights. Previously there was a tire up there so I broke out some 2x4s to get clearence.

Now to give the 17' Grumman a bath.

20170813_164618.jpg

My white 80 with the old 16' Coleman, hangin' with some good company.
P1170069.JPG

Race truck
36 hours of uwharrie
37s
6 inch slee lift

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

Old Town Saranac.

Flares are back on, they were getting painted.
NWTI rear bumper and MT Sliders are on as well

DSCF0071.JPG

Designed my rack and rain gutter mounts on CAD. Made the rack from 1 inch EMT. And yes my fat butt can stand on it. My canoe is an 18 foot AL Grumman. I use it for fishing and A Lot of duck hunting! This was taken in Saginaw bay for duck opener last year.

20161009_124402.jpg

I got a roller for my kayak from Oak Orchard They have one for canoe as well. Been using it for years. I can load 16 foot 80lb kayak by my little self.

IMG_2394.JPG

megamegaroller-whitebackground 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom