Registry 80 Series Registry (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been lurking for years on Mud from when I first bought my 96 Tacoma, to my HJ61, and now a HDJ81 I've been building for about three years. Got hooked on the diesels when I'd go to Japan and Australia for work and finally saved up to import one a few years back. That one couldn't get CA registered, so I sold it, and had better luck with my HDJ81.

1. 1990 HDJ81 VX with all the trimmings from Japan.
2. my name: John
3. Cruiser's name: Ziggy Mojave Dust
4. 170k miles
5. 3" Slinky coils, King 2.5, Delta 4º, LegendX 3" turbo-back exhaust, PDI Intercooler, LRA 38 gallon replacement tank, Costa Fab front bumper (hey Rich!), 4x4 Labs rear, White Knuckle sliders, 3:1 t-case gears, 4.88 Nitro, EGT/Boost/Trans gauges on Driver's pillar, Go Fast RTT, Land Shark KISS drawers, 315 Falken Wildpeak AT on Methods, stripped the plastic off the truck and painted it semi-gloss with Toyota 4J9 desert tan paint.
6. I run a cycling website, shoot photos, and cover bike races from all over the American West. It's a road trip mobile, scout vehicle for shoots, a daily driver that isn't afraid to play in rocks, and usually, is my rolling home base for 3 months out of the year. We've run a bunch of good trails in it all over California, Arizona, and Utah, but I prefer to have it operational, so I tend to take it easy for the most part and not get in over my head since we are also usually out solo.

Mud has helped me learn so much about this rig and diesels in general. Still got a few bugs to work out but overall, very happy with this four by. Figured I'd finally join to chime in with things I've learned while owning this 81.

View attachment 2080274

View attachment 2080276

View attachment 2080277

View attachment 2080280
Good to see you on here John. I know you get hammered about it on all social media platforms but at some point I think lots of us would appreciate some close up shots of your 2" receiver tube where its welded to the swing arm. Any gussets, cuts, etc.

With 4 trays, my 1up is too damn heavy to pull out of my bumper receiver so I can open my swings to get in my rear drawers for recovery gear etc.

Hi guys,

Been lurking here for years and finally figure I should sign up. I couldn't find an official "intro" thread, so this seemed like the closest thing. You guys have been a great resource for troubleshooting and fixing stuff! On to my details...

1. Year and model: 1992 HDJ81 VX Ltd 1HD-T automatic from Japan (have owned it since 2012)
2. Name of owner: Noah
3. Name of rig: Sprout
4. Mileage: 251,000 km.
5. Mods... it came with a lift kit installed in Japan by Yamaha, a nice aluminum bumper and roof rack. Has the standard front, rear, center diff locks. No mods since I've had it.
6. How the truck is used: pretty lightly to be honest. Driving around town, hauling bikes & camping. We'd like to use it for some more off-the beaten path adventures and road trips into the wilderness, harder to access beaches and camping spots etc.

We recently had to get the engine rebuilt. Now that it's running again, I need to learn more of the mechanics of it and keep it running smoothly for many miles to come! We rebuilt it because one of the big end bearings went on the crank and ended up needing a new crank and rod. I'm still unsure as to what caused the BEB to go. Now that it's running again after a year in the shop, the rad has a leak in the top plastic tank - I'll post a question about that in a different thread!View attachment 2084400View attachment 2084401View attachment 2084402
Glad to hear a fellow Canadian is into LCs, especially a nice one like yours. We are moving into New Brunswick this year and are excited as to the numerous fantastic trails available, there is something for everyone. Hope we can cross paths.

Noob here.

1994 LC owned it for 20 years with 318K on the clock. Just moved to the upstate S Carolina area (Easley) and looking forward to being involved with the club. Going through the joining process on here so howdy!
I've daily driven, rarely driven, and long trip driven it recently (Louisiana). Poor girls been in 2 hit and runs in the last year and needs some body care. I'll do off road but not heavy stuff. Short hiking and camping as well as kayaking (bonafide) are welcome activities.
IMG_0425.JPG

Good to see you on here John. I know you get hammered about it on all social media platforms but at some point I think lots of us would appreciate some close up shots of your 2" receiver tube where its welded to the swing arm. Any gussets, cuts, etc.

I haven't really documented it since I'm not really stoked on how it works. I wish it was more stable. At some point, I'll probably design something more substantial. Ideally, I think it makes sense to physically weld a steel version of the 1-up base plate to the swingarm.

SklarSierra-62.jpg

I haven't really documented it since I'm not really stoked on how it works. I wish it was more stable. At some point, I'll probably design something more substantial. Ideally, I think it makes sense to physically weld a steel version of the 1-up base plate to the swingarm.

I think anything that sticks out that far with ~60 pounds hanging off it will be unstable.

We should meet up and do some big bear trails in our 80's and then hit up Skyline MTB trail up there as well.
(after you unblock me from instagram) -partycoyote
1.jpg

done.jpg

I'm down. None of my friends here really like to wheel. Window's gettin' slim for BB too.

I got mine 2 weeks ago. I just got the ome lift, wheels and tires installed today to replace the clapped out suspension. It had alot of work already done when I got it (OK paint job, front seats redone, 4k in receipts replacing alot of stock components, A/C was all redone). I need to replace more suspension components and have some of the paint fixed but so far it's the coolest vehicle I've ever owned.

1. 1995 FZJ80 (no lockers)
2. Daniel Smektala
3. truck name is undecided
4. 180k miles
5. 2.5" OME lift (heavy front and rear), Icon front swaybar drop kit, 16x10 -38mm offset Pro Comp wheels, 315/75/16 K02 tires
6. Daily driver and do some trails and camping at some point

croozer.jpg

Hello, I'm Matt
My ride is a 97 Lx 450 triple locked
Her name is Maude
198k miles
Recently picked this LX up to replace my '92 3FE 80 (Tammy). I purchased that cheap after coming from a tacoma to see if an 80 platform would work well for my purposes. Loved that old truck and learned a lot baselining it. Maude has served me very well and I appreciate the extra power, quieter ride, and addition of lockers over the 92.

So far I have added the following:
Dobinsons 2" lift, 295's, @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr rear oem swingout, ARB bumper w/ Warn 12k winch, @LCphil sway disconnects, @landtank seat mod, and a RTT and awning. Trying my best to keep the build as minimal as possible.

The truck is my DD but my commute is negligible. It primarily serves as our means to explore the remote areas of the Sierra Nevada

20190708_195623.jpg
IMG_20190920_182554.jpg

Some pics of our 92 on a trip we took to Baja:
20180321_064353.jpg
20180323_153434.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rigs, @NevadaCounty80! Where did you go in Baja? Tilley, pictured here, took us to Baja last year. Mostly hung at Playa El Coyote just south of Mulege.

62DD8FC7-6601-4989-813F-3A3B99C9874C.jpeg

D3DCD956-F567-40C7-A901-89C322CA4634.jpeg

Playa El Coyote was incredible! We spent a few days there gorging on scallops and watching the whale sharks. That was about as far south as we made it. Our favorite part of the trip was visiting the San Borjitas cave paintings outside of Muleje. Usually people hire a guide in town to get there, amazingly we were able to find our way to the ranch nearby where we able to get the permits and a guide for a fraction of the cost. There were so many splits in the road, one rancher let us cut through his property back to the "main" road after many km's the going the wrong way. He loved the cruiser and kept talking about how great Toyotas are, ha!

This was more or less our route. We camped every night except for one night in the middle of the trip.

Nice rigs, @NevadaCounty80! Where did you go in Baja? Tilley, pictured here, took us to Baja last year. Mostly hung at Playa El Coyote just south of Mulege.

Playa El Coyote was incredible! We spent a few days there gorging on scallops and watching the whale sharks. That was about as far south as we made it. Our favorite part of the trip was visiting the San Borjitas cave paintings outside of Muleje. Usually people hire a guide in town to get there, amazingly we were able to find our way to the ranch nearby where we able to get the permits and a guide for a fraction of the cost. There were so many splits in the road, one rancher let us cut through his property back to the "main" road after many km's the going the wrong way. He loved the cruiser and kept talking about how great Toyotas are, ha!

This was more or less our route. We camped every night except for one night in the middle of the trip.
Saw these in Loreto.

1A57990F-5EF2-4636-A28E-F50F3B82C23E.jpeg

FEDA489B-3C6E-4516-B5FD-04B34EABE93E.jpeg

F75D67CF-E251-4BA1-88B7-5E903DD90FDA.jpeg

1. 1997 LX 450
2. Chris
3. Chungus
4. 170k and counting
5. No mods yet, plans include all of the standard 4x4 things, sliders, lockers, e.t.c. A set of K02s are the current priority
6. Chungus is my camping and winter rig. I'll mostly be venturing around in the mountains of Colorado, primarily hitting easy-moderate trails.

I'm really excited to be joining this great community! I'll be getting a thread started soon on my ownership experience and documenting the fixes, mods, and adventures I do along the way.

Cpc9Uzj - Imgur.jpg

LX-5687.JPG

LX-2406.JPG

Wow that thing looks mint. Very nice one. Don't scratch it.

1. 1992 FJ80 3FE
2. Rocky
3. She's unnamed as of now
4. 262k
5. Since I've gotten it, removed aftermarket running boards/mudflaps and bull bar. Also she has all Astro Turf floot mats, and center console topper. :smokin:
Definitely plan on baselining everything important and needed, and doing some other mods/ upkeep to ensure she stays fresh.
6. Mostly a DD for me, definitely plan to take her up to the mountains in winter for skiing, also plan on camping, some not too long roadtrips. (Shes been from pretty much to LA, SF to beyond reno (2x), sf to Washington/Canada border and back to the Bay all under my control before she was given to me. Plus more. She's a tank.
IMG_2081.jpg

• 1991 (made in 1990) fj80
  • Robert
  • Name of truck : Moby (for the white whale)
  • 185k miles
  • No mods yet thinking about getting some 33x10.50s
  • Moby is used as a daily driver
I bought the land cruiser around a month ago. I have experience with the old toyota truck engines (22re, 22r, 20r) and the 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen tacoma engines like the 5vz and 3rz. I like working on the older toyota engines a little more. just a hair more simple. this is why I went for a 3fe yota. seems more like the 22re in its valve design. the land cruiser is an odd ball because Its a factory no 3rd row seat model with non sliding 3rd row windows and factory fender flair delete.
59136721944__C35CEEC8-0471-45C1-9C75-CE32F913AB4B.JPG

• Joe
  • Undecided at the moment
  • Bumper, came with winch but haven't put it on yet. sliders, some kind of OME lift, lights, TRD supercharger etc
  • Just trying to get it clean and shiny again. Sitting in the woods for 3 years takes its toll. Debating finding a stock front bumper. The interior is a bit musty right now, its going to sit inside all weekend with some fans in it to dry it out. Next is troubleshooting the AC and vent settings as they seem to be stuck on face, but I've been busy and haven't had time to commit.

Lots of cool rigs on here! So much knowledge and tech packed into one place. I love it.

I just picked up a 1996 that has been sitting for about 3 years under some trees. The original owner (who was maybe on MUD?) had parked it there and got sick and passed away. The woman who owned the house, bought it from his family and needed money for home repairs and put it up on CL. 157k lockers, supercharger etc. I had it towed it to my work, put a battery in it, pulled the plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and cranked it over to lube everything up. Tossed the plugs back in and it fired right up on the first try. Haven't driven it more than around the block yet but I'm pretty excited.
20191015_161821.jpg
20191015_152929.jpg
20191015_152838.jpg
20191015_151614.jpg

• Joe
  • Bumper, came with winch but haven't put it on yet. sliders, some kind of OME lift, lights, TRD supercharger etc
  • Just trying to get it clean and shiny again. Sitting in the woods for 3 years takes its toll. Debating finding a stock front bumper. The interior is a bit musty right now, its going to sit inside all weekend with some fans in it to dry it out. Next is troubleshooting the AC and vent settings as they seem to be stuck on face, but I've been busy and haven't had time to commit.

Lots of cool rigs on here! So much knowledge and tech packed into one place. I love it.

I just picked up a 1996 that has been sitting for about 3 years under some trees. The original owner (who was maybe on MUD?) had parked it there and got sick and passed away. The woman who owned the house, bought it from his family and needed money for home repairs and put it up on CL. 157k lockers, supercharger etc. I had it towed it to my work, put a battery in it, pulled the plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and cranked it over to lube everything up. Tossed the plugs back in and it fired right up on the first try. Haven't driven it more than around the block yet but I'm pretty excited. View attachment 2110356View attachment 2110357View attachment 2110358View attachment 2110359
I wish I could have found a supercharged land cruiser. post some more pics when you got err all cleaned up

• Joe

I just picked up a 1996 that has been sitting for about 3 years under some trees. The original owner (who was maybe on MUD?) had parked it there and got sick and passed away. The woman who owned the house, bought it from his family and needed money for home repairs and put it up on CL. 157k lockers, supercharger etc. I had it towed it to my work, put a battery in it, pulled the plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and cranked it over to lube everything up. Tossed the plugs back in and it fired right up on the first try. Haven't driven it more than around the block yet but I'm pretty excited. View attachment 2110356View attachment 2110357View attachment 2110358View attachment 2110359
Wow this looks like an amazing find. Please post photos after a professional buff and wax. That supercharger is a rare thing on here. Please bring that thing back to life!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom