Registry 80 Series Registry (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always wanted one, and now I’ve added my first 80 to the now two Cruiser collection.
All stock ‘95. Needs some TLC (carpets, seats, and some polish & wax) but mechanically very solid. PO had just gone through and did hoses, radiator, power steering pump, brake booster, distributor o-ring, oil pump gasket, and front main seal. . . oh, and a new set of BFG KO2s. Except power driver seat, everything else works. Just drove her home yesterday, so I haven’t had a chance to really dig in. I’ve got pads and rotors coming already. And an antenna.
Chris Patterson
1995 FZJ80
339,000 miles
Undecided on the name yet.
Stock, planning to keep it that way.
I will drive this 80 to keep miles off my 400,000 mile 100. And to have fun taking the family and dogs camping and at the lake.

9CA49E53-3CE9-4277-96AC-B832FCDC4E86.jpeg

5BD452B1-6ECA-4844-A09B-8D8250D35CEB.jpeg

B0062F1C-03F1-480B-B487-043DD83B112D.jpeg

99CA75CB-5756-4A8D-BB6B-20D123FC671C.jpeg

6560365E-82ED-44C1-AC24-38CF18872665.jpeg

Last edited:
Good day,

Well I am a newbie with Toyota land cruiser. I bought my 40th an. Land cruiser 3 months ago. It took to months to register the LC in Quebec, it was imported from Alberta. This will be our over landing rig with some off roading thrown in.

Here she is being picked up in Alberta

Matilda
1997 land Cruiser 40th
285000 miles on the clock
No mods

truck-side1.jpg

Good day,

Well I am a newbie with Toyota land cruiser. I bought my 40th an. Land cruiser 3 months ago. It took to months to register the LC in Quebec, it was imported from Alberta. This will be our over landing rig with some off roading thrown in.

Here she is being picked up in Alberta

Matilda
1997 land Cruiser 40th
285000 miles on the clock
No mods

View attachment 2066688

It's a beauty! 👍

1997 FZJ80 40th Anniversary No. 184
Minden Monster
Call it the "Tha Tank" AKA "The Land Slide"
ARB Deluxe Bull Bar
Smitty Bilt X2O 12k Waterproof winch
Fuel Rims
BFG KM3s 285/70R17
Daily Driver

Was my Grandfathers and she sat up for 3 years before I got her. Had to have new gas tank, fuel sending unit and alternator before she would run properley. The rest as follows have been replaced after running her on the road: AC compressor, AC core, heater control valve, EGR valve, EGR Vacuum Modulator, Vacuum Switching Valve (couldnt handle the check engine light being on) , both knock sensors, radiator, power steering pump/hoses, fusible link and air intake hose. These items where all replaced over a 6-8 month period. Just had to run her and see what was what. Did most of the work myself but know my limitations. All extras where put on by a shop.
land 1.jpg

land 2.jpg

land 3.jpg

Last edited:
1997 FZJ80 40th Anniversary No. 184
Minden Monster
Call it the "Tha Tank" AKA "The Land Slide"
ARB Deluxe Bull Bar
Smitty Bilt X2O 12k Waterproof winch
Fuel Rims
BFG KM3s 285/70R17
Daily Driver

Was my Grandfathers and she sat up for 3 years before I got her. Had to have new gas tank, fuel sending unit and alternator before she would run properley. The rest as follows have been replaced after running her on the road: AC compressor, AC core, heater control valve, EGR valve, EGR Vacuum Modulator, Vacuum Switching Valve (couldnt handle the check engine light being on) , both knock sensors, radiator, power steering pump/hoses, fusible link and air intake hose. These items where all replace over a 6-8 month period. Just had to run her and see what was what. Did most of the work myself but know my limitations. All extras where put on by a shop.
View attachment 2068030
View attachment 2068032
View attachment 2068036

BEAUTIFUL. Another fine example..

Had to add my two.

Front one is a one owner no rust California vehicle that is being thoughtfully and painfully preserved back to original. The second rig is a "parts car" that bravely donated a dash, seats, and several other bits for my restoration project. In driving and picking parts off of it I realized just how solid it really is and now I am repairing it for my kid to drive. So its a Father-Son set now. I am sure I will stick to the original plan and sell it at some point, but for now we are enjoying fixing both.
RKTINC

IMG_1018.jpg

1. 1992 FJ80 (3FE!)
  2. Terry
  3. Truckasaurus (named by our neighbor who used to have a 40)
  4. ~163,000
  5. Stock (+ gremlins)
  6. driving around town, camping
My wife and I inherited it from her brother a couple of years ago when he passed. It's originally from the Northwest and is in pretty great shape compared to most 27 year old stuff from Pittsburgh which is where we live. That said there are plenty of issues we're trying to deal with. ;)

20170926_082215.jpg

Had to add my two.

Front one is a one owner no rust California vehicle that is being thoughtfully and painfully preserved back to original. The second rig is a "parts car" that bravely donated a dash, seats, and several other bits for my restoration project. In driving and picking parts off of it I realized just how solid it really is and now I am repairing it for my kid to drive. So its a Father-Son set now. I am sure I will stick to the original plan and sell it at some point, but for now we are enjoying fixing both.
RKTINC

View attachment 2071892

Nice initiative to preserve an un molested and rust free example. Will you be memorializing the build on this forum ? Interesting reading I am sure.. Nice family of LC

1. 1992 FJ80 (3FE!)
  2. Terry
  3. Truckasaurus (named by our neighbor who used to have a 40)
  4. ~163,000
  5. Stock (+ gremlins)
  6. driving around town, camping
My wife and I inherited it from her brother a couple of years ago when he passed. It's originally from the Northwest and is in pretty great shape compared to most 27 year old stuff from Pittsburgh which is where we live. That said there are plenty of issues we're trying to deal with. ;)

View attachment 2071941

Nice LC, I would not be too alarmed by gremlins. These machines have been well engineered, I am sure with help of this board you will be able to chase all gremlins away.

Nice initiative to preserve an un molested and rust free example. Will you be memorializing the build on this forum ? Interesting reading I am sure.. Nice family of LC

I have a small photo collection of the progress so I may end up putting it in one post one day. I have an antenna project to figure out for both of them first.

Been lurking for years on Mud from when I first bought my 96 Tacoma, to my HJ61, and now a HDJ81 I've been building for about three years. Got hooked on the diesels when I'd go to Japan and Australia for work and finally saved up to import one a few years back. That one couldn't get CA registered, so I sold it, and had better luck with my HDJ81.

1. 1990 HDJ81 VX with all the trimmings from Japan.
2. my name: John
3. Cruiser's name: Ziggy Mojave Dust
4. 170k miles
5. 3" Slinky coils, King 2.5, Delta 4º, LegendX 3" turbo-back exhaust, PDI Intercooler, LRA 38 gallon replacement tank, Costa Fab front bumper (hey Rich!), 4x4 Labs rear, White Knuckle sliders, 3:1 t-case gears, 4.88 Nitro, EGT/Boost/Trans gauges on Driver's pillar, Go Fast RTT, Land Shark KISS drawers, 315 Falken Wildpeak AT on Methods, stripped the plastic off the truck and painted it semi-gloss with Toyota 4J9 desert tan paint.
6. I run a cycling website, shoot photos, and cover bike races from all over the American West. It's a road trip mobile, scout vehicle for shoots, a daily driver that isn't afraid to play in rocks, and usually, is my rolling home base for 3 months out of the year. We've run a bunch of good trails in it all over California, Arizona, and Utah, but I prefer to have it operational, so I tend to take it easy for the most part and not get in over my head since we are also usually out solo.

Mud has helped me learn so much about this rig and diesels in general. Still got a few bugs to work out but overall, very happy with this four by. Figured I'd finally join to chime in with things I've learned while owning this 81.

ChivaWheelin-12.jpg

ChivaWheelin-20.jpg

SierraJT19-59.jpg

LostFound19-2.jpg

Last edited:
Been lurking for years on Mud from when I first bought my 96 Tacoma, to my HJ61, and now a HDJ81 I've been building for about three years. Got hooked on the diesels when I'd go to Japan and Australia for work and finally saved up to import one a few years back. That one couldn't get CA registered, so I sold it, and had better luck with my HDJ81.

1. 1990 HDJ81 VX with all the trimmings from Japan.
2. my name: John
3. Cruiser's name: Ziggy Mojave Dust
4. 170k miles
5. 3" Slinky coils, King 2.5, Delta 4º, LegendX 3" turbo-back exhaust, PDI Intercooler, LRA 38 gallon replacement tank, Costa Fab front bumper (hey Rich!), 4x4 Labs rear, White Knuckle sliders, 3:1 t-case gears, 4.88 Nitro, EGT/Boost/Trans gauges on Driver's pillar, Go Fast RTT, Land Shark KISS drawers, 315 Falken Wildpeak AT on Methods, stripped the plastic off the truck and painted it semi-gloss with Toyota 4J9 desert tan paint.
6. I run a cycling website, shoot photos, and cover bike races from all over the American West. It's a road trip mobile, scout vehicle for shoots, a daily driver that isn't afraid to play in rocks, and usually, is my rolling home base for 3 months out of the year. We've run a bunch of good trails in it all over California, Arizona, and Utah, but I prefer to have it operational, so I tend to take it easy for the most part and not get in over my head since we are also usually out solo.

Mud has helped me learn so much about this rig and diesels in general. Still got a few bugs to work out but overall, very happy with this four by. Figured I'd finally join to chime in with things I've learned while owning this 81.

View attachment 2080274

View attachment 2080276

View attachment 2080277

View attachment 2080280

wait a second sick bike... sick plates.... prolly?

Year and model: 96 FZJ80
Name of owner: Derek Teaney
Name of rig: Althea
Mileage: 286K
Mods...if any: A Corvette mounting bracket holds a transmission oil cooler to the rig where the stock power steering cooler used to be. Pretty sure the route of the hoses to my rear heater wasn't designed by Mr. T.
How the truck is used: Weekend Adventure Vehicle; Sand and Snow rig. I'll teach my kids to drive in it.
Photos:
38B55452-C0CD-4251-B386-64BB7A26C5A0.jpeg
FB74C5B0-6BC9-469D-894E-479C518D50E0.jpeg

Going to re-purpose a family heirloom so this girl arrived yesterday. First life was my dads rig but he hasn’t driven in a couple of years and Mom wanted it gone.

1. 1997 FZJ80 locked
2. Kelly G
3. Unknown at this time
4. 206K on the clock, all in the desert so no rust. Few dents and scrapes from dads driving in Mexico (more dads driving than Mexico)
5. Virgin truck that needs work. VSC is bound up, birfs sound like a nervous rattle snake, suspension and tires gone, interior is solid. Should be a good project and I’m starting with no $ down.

A0CFCDCB-4F7D-4000-B6BF-DBCA4E72C303.jpeg

Hi All!

Wanted to introduce myself as I have been leveraging the collective wisdom here for a while. Upgraded from a 100 series to my current 80 series. Already loving it more than the last cruiser!

1. 1997 Lexus LX450
2. Philip
3. The Cruiser
4. 207,000
5. OME Stock springs, new stock lexus shocks, ARB bumper, Wits End power steering cooler, TRD 16in wheels. PHH and heater hose by pass. LCP battery bracket
6. Daily driver/bike hauler

The day I bought it vs today
IMG_3048.jpeg
IMG_0528.jpeg

Hi guys,

Been lurking here for years and finally figure I should sign up. I couldn't find an official "intro" thread, so this seemed like the closest thing. You guys have been a great resource for troubleshooting and fixing stuff! On to my details...

1. Year and model: 1992 HDJ81 VX Ltd 1HD-T automatic from Japan (have owned it since 2012)
2. Name of owner: Noah
3. Name of rig: Sprout
4. Mileage: 251,000 km.
5. Mods... it came with a lift kit installed in Japan by Yamaha, a nice aluminum bumper and roof rack. Has the standard front, rear, center diff locks. No mods since I've had it.
6. How the truck is used: pretty lightly to be honest. Driving around town, hauling bikes & camping. We'd like to use it for some more off-the beaten path adventures and road trips into the wilderness, harder to access beaches and camping spots etc.

We recently had to get the engine rebuilt. Now that it's running again, I need to learn more of the mechanics of it and keep it running smoothly for many miles to come! We rebuilt it because one of the big end bearings went on the crank and ended up needing a new crank and rod. I'm still unsure as to what caused the BEB to go. Now that it's running again after a year in the shop, the rad has a leak in the top plastic tank - I'll post a question about that in a different thread!
20190913_191612.jpg
20190916_113339.jpg
20190916_113307.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom