80 Series Noob answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:

New guy to the Forum. Love me some Land Cruiser, especially the 80 (partial to the 60 series too, but not as much.) I spent a quarter century in the Military and traveled extensively overseas in 38 countries; and in every one of them Land Cruisers were ubiquitous. So know a bit about how bullet proof they are.

I have however, never owned one. And I am about to change that. But, since I will be an owner and responsible for my own maintenance instead of relying on host nation mechanics to do it, I will have to.

And also, instead of crashing the servers and causing eye rolls that would set the Earth off it's axis by asking an unending amount of Noob questions; I would like if everyone just leave a link or referral to a helpful thread so that I can just go get the info or read it myself. I have been lurking for awhile and it seems that everyone here is not only knowledgeable, but is helpful, humorous and willing to share. Less typing for you and more reading for me.

If it helps narrow it a bit, I am looking at a 91-92 because of the bullet-proofness of the motor and a lack of need for any sort warp drive speed. Looking to use it as the occasional DD, but also to take me into the wild for some light expeditioning, exploring, etc. without me having to worry about having to walk the Trans-America Trail to the nearest cell phone signal.

I have already been perusing the threads and found the Slee list of things to check (helpful) and some of the other common threads. I won't be upset if you leave me a repeat because I am currently just collecting as much knowledge as I can. I have already linked a few places that I know work on them specifically (Slee, TorFab, Resurrection LC etc.), but no thread, tip or knowledge is insignificant. I am looking for everything from best places to get replacement carpet to how to install the suspension from the landing gear of an F-14.

Thanks in Advance. Pictures and stories are coming...

Read this, get back with us tomorrow... worst case scenario.

Welcome!!! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Since you've been reading and linking, then you already know search, search search!

If you're truly focused on the 91-92, then focus on threads by @jonheld, as he's kinda the GURU on those years.

Otherwise, just read the threads about everything you want to do.

Search out a good truck ahead of time, or locate one and ask for opinions and/or viewing help depending on proximity.

Good Luck!

Mostly kidding, the slee thread covers some of it. 3FE is mostly bullet proof and there’s not much that will complete disable the rig and leave you stranded. Problems are usually easy to diagnose and work on. You’ll probably want another one. Don’t let Mud OCD scare you away. Prepare to spend anothe $3k baselining and another $3k on stuff you don’t need but looks cool. Don’t justify it, just do it.

All:

New guy to the Forum. Love me some Land Cruiser, especially the 80 (partial to the 60 series too, but not as much.) I spent a quarter century in the Military and traveled extensively overseas in 38 countries; and in every one of them Land Cruisers were ubiquitous. So know a bit about how bullet proof they are.

I have however, never owned one. And I am about to change that. But, since I will be an owner and responsible for my own maintenance instead of relying on host nation mechanics to do it, I will have to.

And also, instead of crashing the servers and causing eye rolls that would set the Earth off it's axis by asking an unending amount of Noob questions; I would like if everyone just leave a link or referral to a helpful thread so that I can just go get the info or read it myself. I have been lurking for awhile and it seems that everyone here is not only knowledgeable, but is helpful, humorous and willing to share. Less typing for you and more reading for me.

If it helps narrow it a bit, I am looking at a 91-92 because of the bullet-proofness of the motor and a lack of need for any sort warp drive speed. Looking to use it as the occasional DD, but also to take me into the wild for some light expeditioning, exploring, etc. without me having to worry about having to walk the Trans-America Trail to the nearest cell phone signal.

I have already been perusing the threads and found the Slee list of things to check (helpful) and some of the other common threads. I won't be upset if you leave me a repeat because I am currently just collecting as much knowledge as I can. I have already linked a few places that I know work on them specifically (Slee, TorFab, Resurrection LC etc.), but no thread, tip or knowledge is insignificant. I am looking for everything from best places to get replacement carpet to how to install the suspension from the landing gear of an F-14.

Thanks in Advance. Pictures and stories are coming...
If your going to DD once in while why not a 97 better engine and more cool more power upgrades avail. like a witsend turbo for instance. If I wenret already supercharged I would go with the turbo and still might.

Once you have the truck, immediately purchase a legit Toyota field service manual for your year. Yes they are expensive, but so are college textbooks, which it basically is. The amount of knowledge in that manual has repaid itself 100x over.

Other good websites:
Marlin Crawler - serious off-roading upgrades
Spector Off-Road - the selection of parts is incredible
Cruiser Yard - good selection of used parts
Racer City LLC - always seems to have the weird stuff
Cruiser Outfitters - a little bit of everything.
Wit's End - @NLXTACY has the solutions for all the problems you never knew you had.
Nitro Gear and Axle - Good place for knuckle rebuild and aftermarket axles.
Get to know your local Toyota Dealership parts guy. (Mine's named Ned and he's a cool dude.) 👍

I have about $3k into my '92 since I purchased about 3 years ago. (got it for cheeeeeeeap)
@jonheld 's posts are incredibly insightful. and he has a legendary thread on baselining 3FE equipped trucks.

Last edited:
From what you describe you use, I would say that you have chosen wisely. Find a 91-92 that someone loved and took care of and you'll have a rig for life.

Not specific to your years of interest but this is a good read of how something can get out of hand: Builds - BoltRipper's 2-year Overdue Build Thread
Here is what people are doing so you can get ideas on what you should or maybe want to do
2018 Review // 2019 Planning < this is also where you see what people have done last year and they can be your resource on how-tos for you doing the same thing.

Regardless of the year you get you will want to go after rubber and fluids pretty quickly (that includes flushing some of them) and then (in my opinion) go after wires and making sure electrical stuff is good.

refresh fuelpump sump, replace fuel filter etc. then brakes will lugs are old and could probably stand to be replaced since you can't be sure they dont have years of over tightening.

Also if you can force yourself to do it. rip out the interior completely, clean carpet, seats, duct work, vents, address rat's nest wiring, remove aftermarket and Oem stuff you don't want, look for signs of leaks, replace window runners if you need it, re lube windows, replace speakers etc. do it all with everything out and run wires from front to back for later projects etc before you put insulation, sound deadening (if you are going that way) and carpet back in. Maybe add foam to seats if they need it clean them well etc. Be thought full of "while you are in there" on each project and you can save your self DAYS if not just hours of work later. You doing the work will save you tons of money over paying someone, but you save time from lumping projects together that make sense.

Don't know where it is, but there is a thread on under 100 dollar mods etc that is a nice place for you to prioritize and plan when your wallet gets thin etc.

Good luck.

I know a super clean 91 with the highly sought after cloth interior. Just needs a new 3FE... apparently they’re not that bulletproof 😕

But for $1500, you easily have the room to swap in another 3FE or a v8.

Contact @cwwfj60

9AF246B8-D1FD-4464-A2FC-9D783CAF1E7A.jpeg

Have one that is 140k miles.

If your going to DD once in while why not a 97 better engine and more cool more power upgrades avail. like a witsend turbo for instance. If I wenret already supercharged I would go with the turbo and still might.

I thought about that. But the only engine mod I would save my pennies for at this point would be doing a 2.8 Cummins crate motor swap. I plan on taking my son to do some kayak fishing and haul a small trailer of up to 3 dirt bikes; Speed is fun, but I am looking for a Land Cruiser, not a Land Speeder.

If you want a 3FE you can reach me or my son @SipLife

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom