80 Series General Tech and Classifieds (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be clear:

863 in Rear
866 in front
FCPs on all corners or ARB
ARB steering Stabilizer
Camber Correction Kit

Right?

Doesn’t jive with @cruiseroutfit. Page
36942E28-CB0F-4931-AE13-F4DBCD04AC66.png

I do see there is an 850J listed though

Last edited:
863 front 866 rear

That’s my favorite combo.

If you are buying from Kurt just go with what he says.

If you notice on his level kit it calls for J front heavy rear.

That’s the whole concept of 863/866. Taller spring in the front.

Again just the combo I like. And again again. This is a really easy swap of you want to tweek later or add spacers.

Last edited:
I guess I’m going to jump down this rabbit hole, my vote is 2850J Front, 2863 rear, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Landtank castor plates or OME Bushings, OME Stabilizer, Slee Front Sway Bar Drop Brackets, Ironman Rear Sway Bar Drop Brackets, Slee Brake Lines. This set up sits level and rides awesome in my opinion, loaded or unloaded. Allows full travel of 315’s with zero rubbing/binding. This setup can potentially cause front drive line vibrations but it varies from truck to truck. At the end of the day make a decision and stick with it. Too many opinions and hear-say on mud. Each truck is different as well as each owners personal preference is different. You may end up swapping springs even if you follow a cookie cutter Parts list.
If you want lifted and extremely smooth and don’t mind the price tag ask Woody for the part numbers of what he is running on his 80.

I guess I’m going to jump down this rabbit hole, my vote is 2850J Front, 2863 rear, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Landtank castor plates or OME Bushings, OME Stabilizer, Slee Front Sway Bar Drop Brackets, .

This is essentially what Kurt recommends on his site too.

I guess th only real difference between you and Nolen is the J front vs. non-J front.

This is essentially what Kurt recommends on his site too.

I guess th only real difference between you and Nolen is the J front vs. non-J front.

Nolen’s combo will sit about an inch lower. Uses a shorter rear spring instead of a taller front. Also better for caster & front drive shafts.

I guess I’ll chime in:

Thread for your 80 should already be started. It should include before and after pictures of the inside and outside washing/detailing.

You can’t just all of a sudden post a pic with it detailed and a lift and tires installed. I have expectations...

I guess I’ll chime in:

Thread for your 80 should already be started. It should include before and after pictures of the inside and outside washing/detailing.

You can’t just all of a sudden post a pic with it detailed and a lift and tires installed. I have expectations...

Sorry Garth. I’ve got a few pics. Need to post them.

Ride quality is going to be nearly shock-dependent.
If you want lifted and extremely smooth and don’t mind the price tag ask Woody for the part numbers of what he is running on his 80.
^^THIS^^ Best riding, lifted 80 I've ever ridden in. That doesn't mean other suggestions won't supply a smooth ride, but Woody's 80 rides noticeably better than any other lifted 80 I've encountered

I believe Woody is running whatever Red line carries. @Box Rocket is running the same setup I believe. I want to say it is slinky coils with ICON shocks.

I believe Woody is running whatever Red line carries. @Box Rocket is running the same setup I believe. I want to say it is slinky coils with ICON shocks.
He told me at the time, and I just don't remember. I think he had had ICONS at one time, but I think he'd switched to this newer setup.

We can find out.........

Box rockets rig for reference. He runs 315s.

IMG_8402_zps1i4kdlbq_a79a6893b40f08f92cc49a57ad399bc58e51a2f4.jpg

Then the 20 yr old options listed above will work fine :)

Believe woody is on slinkys now, i know box rockets is above. Stage 4. Stands for 4 grand i think. Ought to ride nice! I guess they are officially available now but i faded interests after two yrs and folks were still waiting on shocks. IIRC they are icon shocks but tuned differently than icons offerings.

Toyota trucks have a 2” rake from the factory ..... OE stinkbug if you will. So embrace the stink or get a taller front spring. I do like the idea of the dual rate spring in the mix, a progressive front would be cake

F/R
heavy/medium
J front/ heavy rear
4” front/ j rear
Etc

Ive had all the above combos and sat level throught the build minus the few weeks on j/j combo. Whoops.

If its just another purty truck stay simple at 2.5 or under. Heavy/medium and stay away from the castor issues. 34.6” will fit fine if you dont have to be one of the folks bitching about 315s not being a true 35”.

Last edited:
Greetings from my new home in Birmingham. I have made contact with Dixieland Cruisers. This club is getting reinvigorated, but has a long way to go to get to the Cottonland level.

I have mild to moderate case of 80-itis. I have read through this thread, and you gentlemen rip these things up like a Russian hacker on election day.

I am roadtripping to look at this tomorrow:
1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER landcruiser LOW LOW miles

Positives:
Mileage - checks out
LA/lower MS heritage - checks out
Stock - apparently has been kept without any mods

Negatives:
Color - although it is factory two-tone, I am far from a Bammer, so this is a strong negative
Price - concerning, but not totally disturbing for my intended use (putting another 100K commuting to work)

I know little about cruisers (but my 100 is doing great), and less about 80s, so I welcome any opinions or tips as I head down tomorrow.

Thanks,

Greetings from my new home in Birmingham. I have made contact with Dixieland Cruisers. This club is getting reinvigorated, but has a long way to go to get to the Cottonland level.

I have mild to moderate case of 80-itis. I have read through this thread, and you gentlemen rip these things up like a Russian hacker on election day.

I am roadtripping to look at this tomorrow:
1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER landcruiser LOW LOW miles

Positives:
Mileage - checks out
LA/lower MS heritage - checks out
Stock - apparently has been kept without any mods

Negatives:
Color - although it is factory two-tone, I am far from a Bammer, so this is a strong negative
Price - concerning, but not totally disturbing for my intended use (putting another 100K commuting to work)

I know little about cruisers (but my 100 is doing great), and less about 80s, so I welcome any opinions or tips as I head down tomorrow.

Thanks,

May I interest you in a built ‘97 80 series LX450?

C98A4CE4-9F60-4759-8200-BED14B3E4332.jpeg

Thanks. My needs are much more modest. I think that would scare my neighbors. Nice truck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom