80 Series General Tech and Classifieds (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh and by the way, @49tire keeps the 5100 in stock....

With an 80, get used to dragging the ass end on lots of stuff, its just part of life if you wheel it. You could sell the current rear and get a 4xlabs rear to gain some departure angle. What is your current hub to flare measurement on all 4 corners?

I'm running the 4x4 labs rear and have never dragged the rear.

upload_2017-7-12_10-5-14.png

this little set up never failed. It took on damn near anything that @Denmomdeb threw at it. OME shocks and spring heavies, @metaltech spacers and 35 inch rubber.

Don't overthink this. There are a million different recommendations and approaches you'll hear on 'MUD. Follow Rob's guidelines. For what you're wanting to do, that will satisfy your present objectives (until it doesn't, then you're going to be at the point to where you're cutting the fenders, ordering stickies, etc.)

Ok so I take it that the OME J springs is the way to go then... I suppose I can always get some adjustable upper rear links if i get rear driveshaft vibration down the road. @offr0adlim0 will stock panhards be okay for the setup you described? Also, any reason why you suggest the J spring in the front, and the Non J spring in the rear? The setup you described yields a non stinkbug level ride right? Can I use the Iron Man FCP shocks with it?

That combo is great and yea the front j's and rear 863 makes for a level ride. I ran that setup but with L shocks until i went to 37 and then left all the same but put slee 4" up front and the js in the back. Mostly because i was running a 37x13.5 and needed a little more toom as i was into keeping the flares back then. Eventually added front panhard to center axle but again mostly because the sequoia wheels that had an extra inch of backspcing.

Only real negative ive heard on the J spring but not so much experienced is side hill off camber unloading.

Ok so I take it that the OME J springs is the way to go then... I suppose I can always get some adjustable upper rear links if i get rear driveshaft vibration down the road. @offr0adlim0 will stock panhards be okay for the setup you described? Also, any reason why you suggest the J spring in the front, and the Non J spring in the rear? The setup you described yields a non stinkbug level ride right? Can I use the Iron Man FCP shocks with it?
Refer to post 4560 above. No hand-wringing necessary.

J's up front and heavys in the rear will keep you level. Never had rear driveline vibrations with this set up, have had front driveshaft vibes. Stock panhards are fine unless you just want to put adjustables on. 49Tire has rear adjustable panhards in stock if you decide for some reason you want them or your over research on mud tells you they are mandatory. Like @dnp says there are millions of different spring/shock combos out there but this set up has proven itself time and time again. I guess if you want to you can run Ironman FCP's but the 5100's work just fine. I've got a feeling you are going to decide on what to do and change your mind multiple times before any parts are actually ordered, I've given you the recipe for a proven set up do whatever tickles your fancy.

That combo is great and yea the front j's and rear 863 makes for a level ride. I ran that setup but with L shocks until i went to 37 and then left all the same but put slee 4" up front and the js in the back. Mostly because i was running a 37x13.5 and needed a little more toom as i was into keeping the flares back then. Eventually added front panhard to center axle but again mostly because the sequoia wheels that had an extra inch of backspcing.

Only real negative ive heard on the J spring but not so much experienced is side hill off camber unloading.

I gotcha thanks for the info. I am 100% into keeping my fender flares! haha I daily this thing.

J's up front and heavys in the rear will keep you level. Never had rear driveline vibrations with this set up, have had front driveshaft vibes. Stock panhards are fine unless you just want to put adjustables on. 49Tire has rear adjustable panhards in stock if you decide for some reason you want them or your over research on mud tells you they are mandatory. Like @dnp says there are millions of different spring/shock combos out there but this set up has proven itself time and time again. I guess if you want to you can run Ironman FCP's but the 5100's work just fine. I've got a feeling you are going to decide on what to do and change your mind multiple times before any parts are actually ordered, I've given you the recipe for a proven set up do whatever tickles your fancy.

Ok @offr0adlim0 so I have a final couple of questions, Ive been searching , but since you have installed so many your knowledge is more valuable.

1. So this Js front Heavy rear will give me a level total of about 3 inches of lift over stock? I take it that the J's will compress with engine weight and the bumper and winch?
2. Will this ride be comfortable or harsh on the road? This 80 is my daily driver and only vehicle, the 100 is my fiance/wifes. I literally sold a freshly built 4runner because the leaf springs pissed me off driving around town and couldnt take it anymore. I just want to be sure its going to ride ok on the street as well as do good offroad.
3. Besides the 5100s do yall have any of this in stock at 49 tire?
4. Also, whats the valving on the 5100s? When i searched, most said they wouldnt be enough for the weight?
5. If I use the Iron man shocks for the setup you recommend, should I go with the 2 inch lift shocks or the 4 inch lift shocks, since im netting about a 3 inch lift? Im getting a quote from Chris now.

Thanks for the patience with all of this. I can only afford to do this stuff once. Just looking for the fool proof solution. Thats why I was looking at the slee kit in the first place

Calling Slee in 3...2...

Im actually going to be in Denver next week, was origionally planning on stopping by the shop... until this thread happened ha

Last edited:
Is she your fiance or wife, or do you have one of each and they share you and the 100?

I hear a pic of her/them is in order (worth a 1000 words).

Hahaha fiancé. Wife next Thursday. She's the good looking one in the pic. In this close time I've just been calling her fiancé/wife

IMG_2069.JPG

^ congrats on the upcoming wedding. You did good. Since you played along, you get 1000 more words to discuss your 80 suspension.

Carry on.

Hah! Thanks! Well last night I thought I had it figured out, then rob hit me with the different route.

In other news. Where are these fiancé and wives that are interested in sharing a husband and 100 series?!

^ congrats on the upcoming wedding. You did good. Since you played along, you get 1000 more words to discuss your 80 suspension.

Carry on.

so much #awesomeness

Get ready meat. Marriage is lots of climbing up a mountain and slipping half way down 3 steps from the peak. #buckleup

Dude. You are gonna give Bodean an aneurism when he reads this.

Sorry in advance @Bodean !!!!

so much #awesomeness

Get ready meat. Marriage is lots of climbing up a mountain and slipping half way down 3 steps from the peak. #buckleup

So I've heard. She's a badass chick though so #worthit. Way I see it... I've got 7 days to get this suspension crap figured out before my spending money gets regulated much more tightly.

Sorry in advance @Bodean !!!!

So I've heard. She's a badass chick though so #worthit. Way I see it... I've got 7 days to get this suspension crap figured out before my spending money gets regulated much more tightly.

I and my?? Forget those words hers will do in the near future. Jking. Congrats!

I and my?? Forget those words hers will do in the near future. Jking. Congrats!

Thanks man. She is MUCH BETTER with money than me anyways. I'll have less cool stuff, but probably will be better off. There was a nice BCM AR15 I had my eye on that I kissed goodbye haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom