'77 FJ40 - She's a runner (not a looker) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a slow-motion search that started in 2007 and featured a couple of states and a few false starts, I pulled the trigger on a '77 just a couple of miles down the way back in August. The PO's kids called her "Fern," and it seems like bad karma to change the name, so Fern she is.
62k on the clock, but surely been around once, 2f under the hood with a Carter AFB carb and Offenhauser intake manifold. OME shocks w/ new HFE shackles courtesy of the PO. Rust all around with the sill rotted to nearly nothing and diamond plate covering a swiss-cheese tub, but she runs like a top and the interior is in surprisingly excellent shape. Might get serious and swap in an Aqualu tub down the line and some fenders without holes in them. For now though I'll turn a blind eye and just enjoy putzing around Montana!

Cool rig the story behind the rig is worth as much to me as anything.

:D welcome. Sell it quick, there could still be hope... Nah, too late.

How's the frame around the rear spring mounts?

Nice looking Rig, I am doing the same thing with mine. Addressing any mechanical issues that pop up and worrying about replacing the rusted panels later down the road. I figured mine sat outside for about 10 years so another two in my garage won't hurt lol!

Yeah, concentrate on reliability, safety, comfort, and traction.
The longer the truck takes care of you the better it'll look - to you.

Congrats on being persistent and obtaining your goal! Safety first, cosmetics later........Great year and a good looking rig, by the way! :grinpimp:

:D welcome. Sell it quick, there could still be hope... Nah, too late.

How's the frame around the rear spring mounts?
Frame is just OK. 100% covered in surface rust so not entirely sure what lies beneath in a few spots. Planning to get after some key areas w/ a wire wheel to see what I can see and then hopefully deal with anything I find. Then POR the bejesus out of it...

Nice looking Rig, I am doing the same thing with mine. Addressing any mechanical issues that pop up and worrying about replacing the rusted panels later down the road. I figured mine sat outside for about 10 years so another two in my garage won't hurt lol!
Ha! Yeah the PO is a Cruiser guy here in Missoula who had another 40 in his garage (same color, but a '78) and he'd already brought this one quite a ways. Shared a pic of it before he did a little body work. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that door was OEM.

IMG_3002.jpg

I dont know much but that door dosent look OEM! That is creative!! Nice Fj!

Nice looking start to a project and its the right color too (fellow rustic green owner here). I say just drive it and enjoy it. A Montana winter might be a good time for a tub swap though since you can save it from the road salt for a season and then have it up and running for Summer.

I had to comment when I saw the 4 on the front of your plates. I miss Missoula. Go Griz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom