75 fj40 doesn’t shift from 4 low to 4 high every time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi h8ers,

a bit of a transfer case issue going on…

My 1975 stock fj40 does not shift from 4 low back to 4 high every time. Every 4 or five times I off-road it, when I shift back into 4 high, it does a buzz-wherr when I drop the clutch, and doesn’t move forward.

I have been able to get it to engage by shifting back to 4 low and trying a second time, and it kind of clunks into gear and works. anybody Deal with a similar issue?

I’ve always been able to get it to work, but hoping it’s not goingto get worse.

it’s the standard transfer case shifter :

2 high
4high N 4 low

in your enviroment, I would look at the linkage underneath, there are some rods and a pivot point, could be loose or binding from corrosion

75 you have two possible transfer case shift linkages. The change was 4/75 along with internal gear changes. 4/75 is a more direct shift between high and low range. Also all the gears in gears in the transfer case were wider. Early four speeds only the low range and mating idler gear were wider.

75 you have two possible transfer case shift linkages. The change was 4/75 along with internal gear changes. 4/75 is a more direct shift between high and low range. Also all the gears in gears in the transfer case were wider. Early four speeds only the low range and mating idler gear were wider.
They probably upgraded it cause it wasn’t shifting back into 2H every time haha…I guess I can assume I have the old one…

in your enviroment, I would look at the linkage underneath, there are some rods and a pivot point, could be loose or binding from corrosion
I am hoping it’s the linkage, I was more worried about it being the T case failing. I’ll Bust into it and give it some love. do you know what is the signs of a failing T case Vs linkage Issues? Just curious, Im A bit on my own out here in Hawaii, I know way more about fj40s than my mechanic, which isn’t saying much…

crawl under and take a few pics.
IIRC the early version had a pivot that came off the top of the nose cone 2wd/4wd shifter assembly, it went lever to pivot to transfer case
the later version went directly from the lever to the transfer case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom