'74 Transfer Case Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done extensive research to try and avoid having to post on this but I'm at a complete loss. Above 25mph I get a buzz/ rattle from that area of my transfer case in my 1974 FJ40. The sound goes away if I just push down on the shifter ever so lightly. I have gone through the entire linkage system and made sure all the correct wave washers are in place and everything is tight. I have also put a small piece of rubber between the linkage and the shift shaft because I know the design can cause the contact there to rattle. Is it possible I have the linkage too tight? Am I missing something I haven't thought of. I'm not 100% that the noise is coming from the transfer case but I only assume that because it stops when pressing down on the shifter (and it do mean lightly. It doesn't take much). Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'll remove the knob on my way home today and give it a try. If that is what it actually is I will be shocked and extremely annoyed. Thanks for the input @cbmontgo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom