74 FJ (F.5? engine) fuel pump/filter location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so first off, my truck is across town, so I couldn't just run out and take a pic. But I recently was moving and had to move the 40 to a neighbors garage.

I started it up after a few months of it sitting and it started and ran fine, except when I shut it off I noticed a fuel leak just under the passenger side front wheel well. I thought maybe because I hadn't started it in a while the rubber was just dried out.

I came back a week later and started it again... let it run for 10-15 minutes and no leaks (crawled under to verify)... so good shape, right? nope.

I then came back about 3-4 weeks later to move the vehicle to the next door neighbor and again had a leak. Tried to chase it down and it seemed that it was leaking from the passenger side frame rail. I should have taken a pic, but didn't, and can't figure out if it was the fuel pump or the fuel filter.

I swear it looked like the filter (which is the easier solution), but had a few questions.

1. Is the passenger frame rail where the filter is often mounted? if not, is it where the pump is often mounted?
2. since it is a f.5 (I believe), does that mean it is not rebuildable? (finding the rebuild kit also seems to be a challenge). I have done some research and it seems they lump the 73-77 all together. so if the 75 is rebuildable... then mine should be too, right? I may end up just getting a new mechanical pump, but wanted to see about the rebuild option before shelling out $150+

Thanks for any thoughts. I'll try and post pics after the next time I get over to the garage.

chaka

The rebuild kits have not been available for the better part of a decade.
The fuel line runs up along the right side frame rail from the tank.
The pump is located on the engine block near the right side front motor mount.
The fuel filter was originally mounted near the battery tray.

Here's my OEM fuel filter mounted in my 74... right below the battery on the passenger frame rail.

IMG_7254.JPG

Thanks guys. That helps!
I'm pretty sure its the filter but these projects have a way of unraveling. Was thinking of picking up the pump anyway as a backup. Seems like a decent part to have on hand....

Was able to get to the garage over the weekend and it appears to be a fuel line leak on incoming side of the fuel filter. figured i'd post a pic just to let people see. I've read a few threads about fuel lines (and their issues). was going to try and find some decent line that doesn't discolor the gas.

image1.JPG

Also check the 'return' line on the charcoal canister. Same vicinity, same symptoms.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Thanks Mark, Will do.

Ginmtb, any thoughts on that hose from the rail to the fuel filter? What did you end up using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom