74 cruiser lights issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
74 Cruiser. I thought I had the lights figured out and everything working. Now, I am a little baffled. Perhaps it's just a lack of understanding.

I have good brake lights, good reverse lights, good turn signals in the rear. in the front, I have good headlights, turn signals, and the lights on the fenders work well.

When I turn the headlights on, I would expect that I would have some lights in the tail lights. Presumably the red one, but I'm not certain. I have nothing though.

So my question is if I have brake lights, turn signals, and reverse lights in the rear but I don't have driving lights when the headlights are on, what would I look at first for being the issue?

Confirmed, hazards work great front and rear.

Turn signals work front and rear.

Rear running lights, notta.

Can't figure out what it would be.

There's probably a poor connection somewhere in the rear harness.
The red tail light is the same bulb as the brake light but a separate filament in that bulb, so it has its own wire.
Check the bulbs first. Both filaments should be intact. Make sure to refit it with the correct orientation (the pins on the sides are offset).

The tail lights should come on with either side lights or headlights.

Turn them on and test for voltage at the rear light - should be a green wire I think. Same wire also feeds your number plate light.

There's probably a poor connection somewhere in the rear harness.
The red tail light is the same bulb as the brake light but a separate filament in that bulb, so it has its own wire.
Check the bulbs first. Both filaments should be intact. Make sure to refit it with the correct orientation (the pins on the sides are offset).

The tail lights should come on with either side lights or headlights.

Turn them on and test for voltage at the rear light - should be a green wire I think. Same wire also feeds your number plate light.
Wow, thank you 👍
Ok, so brand new light, filaments on center red are good and work.
I will test for 12v on the two wires and see which one it is.

Thank you

Wow, thank you 👍
Ok, so brand new light, filaments on center red are good and work.
I will test for 12v on the two wires and see which one it is.

Thank you
If the license plate light works, then power is reaching the back at least.
If not then it could also be the connector in the engine bay on the bulkhead below the steering column - try pulling it open and clean it up

If the license plate light works, then power is reaching the back at least.
If not then it could also be the connector in the engine bay on the bulkhead below the steering column - try pulling it open and clean it up
Thank you.

No 12v on green.

It's the green in the connector on the PS that goes to the rear. The terminal won't stay in on the green wire.
Cleaned the other 3 and put it together . Took the green male and female out of plug and connected them together. Voila.

Probably buy a new housing and a new terminal end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom